Live from the Golden

cynbar

Carolyn.....

I know this isn't the right "thread", but I just remembered the beach I was telling you about. It had been "freakin" driving me crazy.

It's Siesta Key. Here's a link to their website.

http://www.simplysiestakey.com/beaches.htm

All....

Just finished a week back a work...eughh!

I had to book our Xmas ticket's to Frederick's parents in San Francisco just to have something to look forward to.

I find myself continuing to check the Sky News and BBC website to see what's going on in London. We also watched this really great show about the rebuilding of Pottsdamer Platz in Berlin. I even find myself checking cars on the freeway to see if they were built to also accomodate a european license plate or were they just built for the US market...now that's weird!

It is amazing how much seeing more than your little corner of the world changes your perspective. The Dallas skyline has never looked so "futuristic" before.

Here's to getting us all back on a boat again sometime soon. I vote Australia!

Mickie

I'm not really up on the rules of this board. I posted a very long review of our Golden European Capitals tour on my web-site. It might be helpful to those who continue to use this one continuous Live from the Golden Link (I love it even though we've been off over a month now).

Can I post a link to my site in case someone wants to read it?

Thanks!:rolleyes:

Carolyn.....

I know this isn't the right "thread", but I just remembered the beach I was telling you about. It had been "freakin" driving me crazy.

It's Siesta Key. Here's a link to their website.

http://www.simplysiestakey.com/beaches.htm

All....

Just finished a week back a work...eughh!

I had to book our Xmas ticket's to Frederick's parents in San Francisco just to have something to look forward to.

I find myself continuing to check the Sky News and BBC website to see what's going on in London. We also watched this really great show about the rebuilding of Pottsdamer Platz in Berlin. I even find myself checking cars on the freeway to see if they were built to also accomodate a european license plate or were they just built for the US market...now that's weird!

It is amazing how much seeing more than your little corner of the world changes your perspective. The Dallas skyline has never looked so "futuristic" before.

Here's to getting us all back on a boat again sometime soon. I vote Australia!

Mickie

Hey Mickie, we were just talking about you Thursday night as our good friend flew out Friday to go visit his mom in Dallas! When are you coming to Florida again?

That is a beautiful beach! I know what you mean about booking something so you have something to look forward to, I have mine and Steve's trip planned for Nov. Did you and Frederick do another booking for Princess while on board? I vote for the Mediterrian.

What is your direct email so I can send this rather than keep highjacking the thread?!!!

Carolyn

Hey Mickie, we were just talking about you Thursday night as our good friend flew out Friday to go visit his mom in Dallas! When are you coming to Florida again?

That is a beautiful beach! I know what you mean about booking something so you have something to look forward to, I have mine and Steve's trip planned for Nov. Did you and Frederick do another booking for Princess while on board? I vote for the Mediterrian.

What is your direct email so I can send this rather than keep highjacking the thread?!!!

Carolyn

Carolyn,

We failed to book another cruise while onboard. We were a bit hesitant and by the time we decided to pull the trigger, it was too late. We did grab a bunch of brochures though. Let's continue this via e-mail. Thanks!!

Frederick

fsdorado@ix.netcom.com

I'm not really up on the rules of this board. I posted a very long review of our Golden European Capitals tour on my web-site. It might be helpful to those who continue to use this one continuous Live from the Golden Link (I love it even though we've been off over a month now).

Can I post a link to my site in case someone wants to read it?

Thanks!:rolleyes:

I'd love to read your review. We're going on the Golden 8/20, for the Western Europe/Transatlantic cruise. Please post your link!

Thanks!

Thanks for the chance to read your review.

We were on the subsequent sailing on 1st July. To set your mind at rest about embarkation, I think you were very unlucky. We arrived at the port at 11.35am, walked straight up to a counter, filled in the health form (having done the rest online), were waved into a queue for the ship and were in our cabin by 11.50am.

I am glad you enjoyed London and that you would like to visit here again.

Cinnamon

Hi all-

Got home last night but am still on a travel high from a great cruise & fun London/Scotland trip w/my son Ian. Good to hear how everybody's filtering home -safe & sound. Frederick & Micky your pix look great! Miss you all. Meg

Meg,

Glad you were able to get together with your son. When does he come home? What did you think of Scotland? I've heard it's absolutely beautiful!

I miss everyone too,

Karen

Guest Host Tink

Hi Folks,

I had to remove the post from the poster wanting to post their Cruise Review because they are a Travel Agent. You may contact her privately for the link, but it is not permitted on the board.

Thanks for your Understanding!

:D

That's why I asked. Sorry group. It's too long to post as a review on Cruise Critic and the last time I tried to edit it and make it short, there was a system error so I gave us. And also it takes a long time to get them posted once you submit it. I'll try again in about a week when I'm not so busy.

Since I was a frequent poster to this link and it's so active I just thought it would help.

If anyone has any specific questions, feel free to ask.

We were on the 6/21 European Capitals.

Continuing the thread....we embarked July 31..............

Spent 1 night Pre-cruise at Holiday Inn Herbert Walker Ave. in Southamptin - (on points) - Good experience, nice little hotel - very near the Port -(cost 7.95 GBP Taxi to Pier) Port interesting with lots to see - could easily spend a few days there -

Cruise Critic Meet and Mingle just after Sail a Way - very well attended - but windy and cold on deck 16 - Oasis Bar and no bartender - so I have moved the AUG. 10, next leg, Sail A Way to SKYWALKERS)

The Cruise has been wonderful to date - weather in Port has been very good (except for today - scattered rain in Berlin) Shows excellent - Dining Room better than good - (we switched from Trad. Late to PC and have had no problem at all with Table for 2 - or sometimes with friends)

Rich gave us a wonderful CC Party - complete with hot and cold Hor'dueves and drinks - even gifted a Princess Tote bag! - He is just a GEM of a CD! DO NOT MISS HIS TALK ON SHIPS!

New extra Port tax of $8.41 pp added onto our bill .... :rolleyes:

Any questions??

I'll try to "Pay it forward" :p

Read through the threads - the prior information on all the Ports is fabulous - I couldn't improve on it!

GotTOCruise (Aka Renee)

Renee, glad to hear you're having a great time. Let's hope they don't hit you with anymore of these new & unexpected up-charges.fing01.gif

CC party sounds like a winner, I'll be sure to approach Richard Joseph soon after we embark. We have 100 or so CC posters on our sailing, should be fun!fing34.gif

Have fun, and please don't break the ship before we embark on 8/20!045.gif

I have to agree with Renee... we are having such a good time on this trip despite the weather. The Golden Princess is magnificent and the ports have been great. With only three days of our cruise left I am already envious of you who have still got your vacations to come!! :)

Continuing the thread....we embarked July 31..............

Spent 1 night Pre-cruise at Holiday Inn Herbert Walker Ave. in Southamptin - (on points) - Good experience, nice little hotel - very near the Port -(cost 7.95 GBP Taxi to Pier) Port interesting with lots to see - could easily spend a few days there -

Cruise Critic Meet and Mingle just after Sail a Way - very well attended - but windy and cold on deck 16 - Oasis Bar and no bartender - so I have moved the AUG. 10, next leg, Sail A Way to SKYWALKERS)

The Cruise has been wonderful to date - weather in Port has been very good (except for today - scattered rain in Berlin) Shows excellent - Dining Room better than good - (we switched from Trad. Late to PC and have had no problem at all with Table for 2 - or sometimes with friends)

Rich gave us a wonderful CC Party - complete with hot and cold Hor'dueves and drinks - even gifted a Princess Tote bag! - He is just a GEM of a CD! DO NOT MISS HIS TALK ON SHIPS!

New extra Port tax of $8.41 pp added onto our bill .... :rolleyes:

Any questions??

I'll try to "Pay it forward" :p

Read through the threads - the prior information on all the Ports is fabulous - I couldn't improve on it!

GotTOCruise (Aka Renee)

Glad to hear that you're having so much fun. We also have a lovely party thanks to Rich on our 7/11 cruise, he's great!

You may want to rethink your sailaway get together location as they're usually isn't a bartender at skywalkers either until night when it opens. We did ours at the wheelhouse bar and it was the perfect location.

Renee and Lyman, so glad that you are having a great cruise. Please tell all of the cruise staff that Larry, Linda and Tommy said hi! They were all so "Golden" to us. We really enjoyed Rich's talk on cruising as well, it is very interesting. He actually answered a lot of the questions that I had particularly about the safety in cruising.And they all throw the greatest parties. Wonderful!!!!!

I heard that you are enjoying Kevin Hughes. He is really a hoot and he and his wife Kathy are gems. Don't miss Duncan Tuck.....he is amazing and so funny so very talented.

If you are in PC try to sit in Joachim's section, toward the back on the right side of the Donatello dining room. He is such a jewel and will give you the lodown on what is good for dinner ( of course that is a no brainer, it is all good, and I now have the waistline to prove it:eek: )

Glad that you are having fun, miss you on the boards. Have a great rest of cruise and very soon you will be joined by the next group I think that Rob and Margarett left yesterday!!

Linda

Hi everyone,

I am so ready for another cruise. We were on the June 11 British Isles cruise and I still check these boards every few days to see what is going on!! We took our daughter and son-in-law with us and had a great time - it was so great we came home with much more than we went with - we're going to be grandparents!!!! Needless to say, this will be a very memorable vacation.

Hello to all the CC's that were with us (if you're still checking this board as I am) and happy sailing to everyone that is yet to go - be carefull if you take your children with you - you might get a happy surprise too!!

Elaine

Anyone currently on the Golden who wants to fill us future cruisers in on your experiences. I'll be on 8-20 transatlantic. It sounds like you've had pretty rainy weather at the ports. Has it effected your excursions- what happens w. your walking tours- do they adjust them for the weather or do you just slog on through?

Congratulations Elaine!! What wonderful "excess luggage" to bring home! We are travelling alone this time - and I don't want ANY surprises/little miracles coming home with ME!!;)

Sue x

Western Europe/Transatlantic 20th August Golden princess

Just back from the Golden and had a fabulous time in each and every port, even tho it rained for the last few.

Except for the Tattoo, which was amazing but a long bus ride from Greenoch and a mass of people going in, we did all independent tours and cabs. If anyone has any questions I will be glad to help.

The cab fare from S. Queensferry to Edinborough was 20 GBP (per car). After touring the castle, we took a free 2 hour walking tour of the Royal Mile, which you can pick up right before the entrance to the castle on the left side. Our guide, Jack, was wonderful. Very informative and besides the history, knew alot about the local folk lore. If you do meet Jack, send our regards and tell him thanks and that the New Yorkers got back in time to make the last tender. Bit of advice, do not leave Edinborough too late because you run into rush hour traffic and it's hard to get taxi. We finally took Jack's advice and went back to the trainstation to pick up the cab.

The whole staff of the Golden is wonderful. Rich Joseph arranged a fabulous party for the CC's. Our waiter, Peter and his assistant Camille were terrific and our head waiter Marian was just fantastic. Give them all a big hug from me.

Eleanor from NY

I looked for this thread during the cruise...couldn't find it. Oh well.

Richard Joseph does a great job as CD, as do his staff. I'll give a special nod to Frankie who seemed to be everywhere and always had time to help people who had questions.

I'll have to agree that we got much more value out of our independent tours than ship's excursions. Most of the ship's tours we took were good, but very expensive. The one complaint about tours we had was handled on board ship to our satisfaction.

The only disappointment about the cruise was the Donatello dining room, late seating. I'm not sure why, but it always seemed very noisy, the service was rushed, and we never really got to know our waiter and assistant very well. The food was mostly good, nothing outstanding. To be fair, though, we ate two meals very late in Horizon Court because of late tours and ate twice at Desert Rose (Sterling) where the food and service were excellent.

It was still a great cruise and I wished it could have been a day or two longer to help spread things out a little.

Archived