Live from the Golden

cynbar

Question for those who have done 'Amsterdam on your own'. We are looking at booking a private tour that leaves from an office near the Central Station and the info on the Princess bus to Amsterdam says we are dropped off at 'museum square'...where is that and is it a long haul to the Central Station from there? :confused:

Jeani

I emailed Amsterdam Museums & asked them to send me a map & they did at no cost. Find their email address at www.amsterdammuseums.nl It only took a few days. This map is much better than the ones on the internet. We also want to go to Central Station to pick up the canal boat tour. Saw a Rick Steves' travel show where he said Dam Sq. is a 20 min. walk north from Museum Sq. From the map it looks like another 15 min. walk north to Central Station. The problem is there are so many canals it is hard to find a straight route from Museum Sq. to Central Station. And the 20 minutes that Rick Steves quoted was probably if you knew which roads to take. We are planning on getting on a Tram to Central Station. Purchase Striptickets--8 for 6,40 Euro. Couldn't find any info about how many tickets it takes to get to Central Station as each zone requires another ticket. Here is some info gleaned from the Internet about the Trams: hail Tram to get on, board from the back, press button near door to open door, press Red Stop button to get off, press button near door to open door. Tram tickets can be purchased from driver or a conductor at the back. All prices include tax & tips. Tram #20 makes a circle around major attractions.

We are counting on the person accompanying us on the bus from the tour company to be able to answer our questions & point us in the right direction. I think I read on the Princess tour info that they will supply us with a map.

Sure would like to hear from anyone that did "Amsterdam on Your Own" & how you did it.

There were no theamed nights on the 5/22 Golden Princess.

On the two formal nights I would have to say that over 50% of the men wore a tuxedo, and most of the women wore evening gown attire. It was very nice, and the video of the champagne waterfall that we took did show very glamorous dresses.

Was the champagne waterfall in the dining room? What else would I miss out on

by choosing to eat elsewhere?

The chapagne waterfall was held in the Atrium on deck 5. Others could see the festivities by looking down from decks 6 and 7 too.

Does anyone know the answers to my questions that I asked a couple of weeks ago regarding Copenhagen? Jim,

"Jim,

Have you any information about the train journey to Malmo, whether it was worth doing, cost, etc? And the unexpected port charges for Copenhagen, was that per person? There are 8 of us! And also, when I last docked in Copenhagen, I remember walking into town, past the Little Mermaid and in fact, all the way to the Tivoli Gardens and back. Is Golden docked too far out to do this or were we just very energetic?!!

Thanks

Tracey"

Would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

Hey Tracy:

Sorry for dropping the ball in response to your questions.......

We are committed "tour-it-yourselfers." When we arrived in Copenhagen, the line for the public bus by the pier was very long. Someone said there was a train station about a ten minute walk away. We were off to explore....

The decision to take the train to Malmo, Sweden was a very spur-of-the- moment decision. The RT fare came through on my cc bill as $46.76 USD for two of us. We were very happy we took this trip for the following reasons:

1. Just to say we had been to a new country - Sweden! Traveling over the long bridge was interesting as well.

2. Beautiful and clean city with a peaceful atmosphere.

3. Copenhagen seemed more crowded and dirty - We strolled through Copenhagen when we returned from Malmo.

4. The fun of exploring the unknown.

People are different. We loved the experience. So it is your call!!

The additional port charges were added to our bill whether you wanted to or not. I heard one guy say he was successful in getting it removed from his bill. Of course, this "unforseen" increased port charge is probably now routinely passed on to all traveling through Copenhagen.

Close to Tivoli gardens?? Our 12 ports are running together in my mind. I think you were energetic. Tivoli Gardens is located close to the main train station - not the train station ten minutes walk to the ship. Please correct me.......

If I can offer more help, please let me know,

Jim Knies

Blackegg

<knies@dravanet.hu>

Hi Dennis, Tina, Mary-Lou and David,

Well what a fantastic night last night. Bryan and I had a wonderful time meeting you all and just didn't want to leave. The company, food and drinks were just perferct. I hope your embarkation went well and everything on the Golden is just 'Golden'. I had real trouble sleeping because I was on such a high and what with meeting Phyllis and others from the Golden this morning and having tea with them - it's been an amazing couple of days. I wish I were sailing with you all. You are going to have such a great time. Let me know how you are all getting along and thanks for being such wonderful company. You were just great!!! Love to you all,

Sure hate to sound like a stick in the mud - especially after all the praise about the Golden. However, if you don't like art or bingo, I'm afraid there won't be a great deal for you to do on the ship. Let me preface this next remark by telling you that I am "almost" a senior citizen, so the following remark is not meant to offend. Unless you are quite old or are very young, you may find yourself bored with the lack of activities - unless you're traveling with companions. That will help tremendously. Unlike some of the other cruise lines, the Golden had a limited number of things to do. (Yes, I'm a well rounded person and have a bit of culture.) But, art sales and gimmicks to sell me beauty products to stop nature's natural process of aging is not my idea of a vacation. I already know I'm old, I don't need someone pointing out that I have wrinkles here, there, and almost everywhere! :-) Throughout my entire 10 days on board, I saw the CD only one time and that was in passing in the hall. The CC "party" held in the Wheelhouse, I guess I missed. I went in, but there were no signs of "a group" activity (no signs, sign in sheets, greeter.......) I saw a few people standing around talking, but no organization whatsoever - sorry I missed meeting everyone. The entertainment (and I use the word loosely) in one of the lounges was, at best, extremely bad. We ate all of our meals from the buffet, traveling with a child it makes it easier. I was not impressed with the food - surely the restaurants offered better. It was basically the same items everyday - just prepared "a little" differently. Now, for the positive side: We booked all our tours through the ship. We were not disappointed with any of them. The only down side was when we went to Balfour Castle. We were in the third group and by the time we got to the tea at the castle, the previous 2 groups had eaten everything! (Thanks folks!) We paid a little more for our tours, but we had excellent guides/drivers. On one of our tours the guide/driver kept us overtime after going to Giant's Causeway and Antrim Coast. The weather was SO bad we missed seeing the rope bridge, so they altered the schedule to make sure we went back by the bridge and let us have a few minutes photo-op time. They didn't have to do that, but it was very much appreciated by all of us on the tour. The Kids Program on-board was wonderful. My child looked forward to going and when I picked her up she always seemed to be enjoying herself. So, for those of you who are traveling with children, take advantage of the kids program. For those of you that drink (I'm a teetotaling social drinker), some of my best time on-board was spent at the Promenade Bar with bartenders Kuba and Amanda. They are both lively, friendly, extremely enjoyable people.

Okay, I'm ready to be blasted by those of you who disagree. I guess that after 12+ cruises I may be a little more judgemental, but I am entitled to my opinion. I will continue to cruise - just not on the Golden.

Sure hate to sound like a stick in the mud - especially after all the praise about the Golden. However, if you don't like art or bingo, I'm afraid there won't be a great deal for you to do on the ship. Let me preface this next remark by telling you that I am "almost" a senior citizen, so the following remark is not meant to offend. Unless you are quite old or are very young, you may find yourself bored with the lack of activities - unless you're traveling with companions. That will help tremendously. Unlike some of the other cruise lines, the Golden had a limited number of things to do. (Yes, I'm a well rounded person and have a bit of culture.) But, art sales and gimmicks to sell me beauty products to stop nature's natural process of aging is not my idea of a vacation. I already know I'm old, I don't need someone pointing out that I have wrinkles here, there, and almost everywhere! :-) Throughout my entire 10 days on board, I saw the CD only one time and that was in passing in the hall. The CC "party" held in the Wheelhouse, I guess I missed. I went in, but there were no signs of "a group" activity (no signs, sign in sheets, greeter.......) I saw a few people standing around talking, but no organization whatsoever - sorry I missed meeting everyone. The entertainment (and I use the word loosely) in one of the lounges was, at best, extremely bad. We ate all of our meals from the buffet, traveling with a child it makes it easier. I was not impressed with the food - surely the restaurants offered better. It was basically the same items everyday - just prepared "a little" differently. Now, for the positive side: We booked all our tours through the ship. We were not disappointed with any of them. The only down side was when we went to Balfour Castle. We were in the third group and by the time we got to the tea at the castle, the previous 2 groups had eaten everything! (Thanks folks!) We paid a little more for our tours, but we had excellent guides/drivers. On one of our tours the guide/driver kept us overtime after going to Giant's Causeway and Antrim Coast. The weather was SO bad we missed seeing the rope bridge, so they altered the schedule to make sure we went back by the bridge and let us have a few minutes photo-op time. They didn't have to do that, but it was very much appreciated by all of us on the tour. The Kids Program on-board was wonderful. My child looked forward to going and when I picked her up she always seemed to be enjoying herself. So, for those of you who are traveling with children, take advantage of the kids program. For those of you that drink (I'm a teetotaling social drinker), some of my best time on-board was spent at the Promenade Bar with bartenders Kuba and Amanda. They are both lively, friendly, extremely enjoyable people.

Okay, I'm ready to be blasted by those of you who disagree. I guess that after 12+ cruises I may be a little more judgemental, but I am entitled to my opinion. I will continue to cruise - just not on the Golden.

Sorry you didn't care for the Golden, we just love her and can't wait to be onboard her again on 7/11!!! My husband and I sailed on her alone and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. I'm 43 so I'm neither very young nor very old and we found plenty to do onboard the ship.

As as missing the cruisecritic gathering, with only your 25 posts it doesn't seem like you are very active on here. Maybe if you were active on your roll call thread you would have known about the party. It sounds like the party was lovely and something much more than usually done.

As far as the food, anytime you dine solely in a buffet you won't get the best of food. That goes for on any ship or in most resorts. Buffet food just isn't fine dining, unless you're at some place like a Ritz Carlton. While I don't find the food on the Golden to be gourmet and we thought it was good, not great, you didn't really give it a fair shot by only doing the buffet for every meal.

I'm not blasting you for your opinion, it's your opinion. But to complain about food when you gave none of the restaurants a chance it's really a fair review of the food on the ship. You also can't complain if Princess didn't advertise the get together as it was something special they did and if you had met and kept up with those members on your cruise you probably would have known about it!

Without getting into a "war or words" - I was not blasting the food, I was merely stating that the food in the buffet was not very good. I "believe" I made reference that the food in the restaurant was probably better. As to the CC gathering: 25 posts is a relatively "active" amount for the time period involved. Sorry, I have a job, a home, a family, and don't have the time to sit at my computer reading posts. My comment was that I went to the gathering, at the appointed time; however, there was only a few people gathered around one area talking - with no mention/notice/sign/indication that they were the CC group. I didn't interject myself into their conversation as I did not know who they were - which was the point of my comment. At least make a little sign that lets people know where the "gathering" is. You never know, you might meet some nice people who didn't post even 25 posts. I'm truly happy you and your husband enjoy the Golden. That is obviously the ship for you - however - it is not the ship for me. There are 2 sides to every story. I read a lot of the posts, prior to making my reservations, and the reality was - I was misled. It was not all everyone said it was. I did not enjoy my time on-board. My preference for activities are obviously different than yours. That's okay, differences are what makes life interesting. The ship was a disappointment. My post is merely to provide the unknowing with the flip side of the coin. Everything is not all roses. There will be people disappointed. It's better to go into a situation with your eyes wide open. Now, that being said. I was disappointed with the cruise. Is it the first one that has ever disappointed me? No. Is it the last one I'll take. No, again. Nothing is ever perfect - unless you expect nothing.

Hi to All...

This is the first post from our group as this is day one. But before I go further, I MUST say to English Rose and DH.....THANK YOU,THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!! We had such a great time that night and was saddened when it had to end. You both have such kind hearts, so bless you both.

Day 1: From the start, we were checking out from our hotel and our taqxi arrived, it took just two minutes after I made the call to the taxi company. THose drivers were quick and knew where and what to do.Embarkation was a breeze, virtually no waiting in lines through the whole process. It took no more then 8 minutes from the luggage unloading to boarding. Honest :)

THe ship is the same as those before, so I will not bore you with that aspect.

The CC get-together went off well and we plan to meet tomorrow in Skywalker's at 4. Dinner was done perfectly, even though someone outside of my business might say otherwise, I KNOW the work that is involved and know the quality is above alot of "Land-based" restaurants.

If anyone has a question, I will try and find the answer for you from the group.......Dennis

Hi to All...

Embarkation was a breeze, virtually no waiting in lines through the whole process. It took no more then 8 minutes from the luggage unloading to boarding. Honest :)

If anyone has a question, I will try and find the answer for you from the group.......Dennis

Dennis,

Wow, eight minutes?? :eek: What time did you arrive at the dock? We're the next group onboard and were planning on getting there around noon. Have a great cruise!!

Frederick

Dennis, glad to hear things are off to a good start! Sounds like embarkation was a lot easier than when we boarded, glad they're up to speed now. :) Keep us posted about how things are going!

Without getting into a "war or words" - I was not blasting the food, I was merely stating that the food in the buffet was not very good. I "believe" I made reference that the food in the restaurant was probably better. As to the CC gathering: 25 posts is a relatively "active" amount for the time period involved. Sorry, I have a job, a home, a family, and don't have the time to sit at my computer reading posts. My comment was that I went to the gathering, at the appointed time; however, there was only a few people gathered around one area talking - with no mention/notice/sign/indication that they were the CC group. I didn't interject myself into their conversation as I did not know who they were - which was the point of my comment. At least make a little sign that lets people know where the "gathering" is. You never know, you might meet some nice people who didn't post even 25 posts. I'm truly happy you and your husband enjoy the Golden. That is obviously the ship for you - however - it is not the ship for me. There are 2 sides to every story. I read a lot of the posts, prior to making my reservations, and the reality was - I was misled. It was not all everyone said it was. I did not enjoy my time on-board. My preference for activities are obviously different than yours. That's okay, differences are what makes life interesting. The ship was a disappointment. My post is merely to provide the unknowing with the flip side of the coin. Everything is not all roses. There will be people disappointed. It's better to go into a situation with your eyes wide open. Now, that being said. I was disappointed with the cruise. Is it the first one that has ever disappointed me? No. Is it the last one I'll take. No, again. Nothing is ever perfect - unless you expect nothing.

Hi

I think I may know who you are based on your reference to Amanda and Cu at deck 7 bar. Where you the lady with longer hair, a daughter, drinking maybe Budweiser or was it Martini's? I saw you there a few times and spoke to you across the bar once. I was the 40 ish gal with dark hair.

I was the first one to arrive at the cruise critic party hosted by the CD Kirkwall, and arrived promptly at 5:15 start time. The party was held in the back of the Wheelehouse off to the right. There was a sign posted "Cruise Critic Party" on a stand and there had to be about 25 of us all together.

If you are referring to the first night get together we were across from the bar and again there had to be 20 of us.

It is too bad you did not get together with any of the rest of us. If you go again take your daughter and go to the dining room, it will be worth the effort. I have to say every meal was spectacular on this cruise and the Golden has one of the best chef's in the fleet. This ship is really almost my favorite now beating out the Star.

Regarding your commment about art I chuckle becaue until this cruise I did not have a lick of interest in the art on board. I have to say I was extrememly impressed by the offerings and the opportunity to meet the exceptional artists. I hope this does not become a habit because I bought 3 pieces!!!

Thank you for sharing your comments and I hope you give the Golden another chance. The crew is always fabulous and the ports exceptional even in the Caribbean. I am even strongly considering changing my 11 night cruise on the Star to the Golden for New Years :)

Dennis,

Wow, eight minutes?? :eek: What time did you arrive at the dock? We're the next group onboard and were planning on getting there around noon. Have a great cruise!!

Frederick

On the June 11th cruise I was there at 12:20 p.m and only waited two minutes!! It was best embarcation ever!!!

I used Cheryl's car service by the way and it was excellent!!!

Hi to All....

It's the start of Day 2: the weather is foggy, but calm. Slept well, which finished off that jetlag from California. Some of the group are meeting at Trivial Pursuit. Hope to win that big prize......a key chain!!! Let you know how that went. AS I am writing in the library, I noticed the LONG line for tours. Some are sold out before we got onboard. Seems the castle tours are popular. Holyhead's Beaumaris and Caernaforn(sp?) Castle tours sold out fast. I am glad that I booked early and taking private tours with CC boarders. I will find out what else went fast so that those going on the next cruise in the UK will be warned...........Dennis

Sorry you cruise did not live up to your expectations. You really should try the dining room food on your next cruise, it is always better than the buffet.

As for being entertained on the ship, there were probably things planned, but just not what you cared for. If you have not already tried a Carnival fun ship cruise you might consider that next time.

Hi to All....

It's the start of Day 2: the weather is foggy, but calm. Slept well, which finished off that jetlag from California. Some of the group are meeting at Trivial Pursuit. Hope to win that big prize......a key chain!!! Let you know how that went. AS I am writing in the library, I noticed the LONG line for tours. Some are sold out before we got onboard. Seems the castle tours are popular. Holyhead's Beaumaris and Caernaforn(sp?) Castle tours sold out fast. I am glad that I booked early and taking private tours with CC boarders. I will find out what else went fast so that those going on the next cruise in the UK will be warned...........Dennis

Hi Dennis and all other cc members onboard!

Thanks so much for taking the time for the updates!! I am sure that you are still getting over jetlag, that is a very long flight!!It sounds like you are having fun, so great to hear! I wanted to ask.....what time did you go to Southampton for embarkation? We really want to get onboard early.

I also wondered if Kevin Hughes is still the comedian? We really enjoyed him on the Sapphire last summer and if he is onboard, you should not miss his show, he is so funny:D One more question, if you do not mind. what nights are the formal nights?

Thanks for all Dennis, have a very wonderful cruise:)

Linda

Logie:

Sorry, I'm not the on you're thinking about. (Hate beer and martinis) I'm sorry I missed the CC party at the beginning of the cruise. I was there immediately after the life boat drill. Maybe I got there too early and the crowd hadn't gathered yet. I had been looking forward to it. I didn't know about the rest of the activities for the CC group. Wish we had gotten things together a little more in the beginning. As for the food: It's hard to take a child into the dining room for the numerous courses - especially this child. I'm sure the food there was much better than the buffet. Mine was just an opinion of the buffet food - I can't speak for the dining rooms. As to the art shows: I bought a picture on a previous cruise, so don't worry, it won't be habit forming. :-) I love cruising. My favorite cruise line, so far, is Celebrity. I'm just not much on sitting still - for ANY reason. So, lectures, bingo, etc. are just not on my list of "must do" events. Overall, I consider the ship as my "mode of transportation" to where ever I'm going. I realize that not every person is going to be totally satisfied - that's a given. I loved the ports and that's what I went for anyway. Trust me, this was not the worst cruise I've ever been on - but, it wasn't the best either. Will I do it again? Of course, but probably not on the Golden. I'm already looking for a cruise for Oct. of this year. Carnival is too much of a "party ship" and it appears Princess is more sedate. I guess I'm a middle of the road kind of person. I like to have some choices and the Golden just didn't offer many choices - for active participation (other than the Trivia games). Glad you enjoyed yourself and maybe next time I'll be able to join in with the rest of you. I hope so.

Hi to All...

Its the end of day two: CC get together in Skywalker's, we had to organize our tours. Some on board heard about it and came too, as the ship sold out alot of tours. Saw the tour sheets are now closed for Dublin and Belfast. Strongly recommend booking tours before coming. Some nightmare stories are starting to surface, but need to tell you tomorrow as it is after midnight and we are in Dublin at 8am. .....Oh! to answer the question....Ship is selling the EUro at 1.25 with $2.50 commission. I know that the lastest from Wall St. was below $1.20.........Dennis

Archived