Live from the Golden

cynbar

Bob, thanks for the update! How is the perky, curly-haired British girl getting along at Crooners? She was bartending at the lobby bar on our sailing but said she was moving up to Crooners for the next sailing, and was nervous because there's so many different drinks to remember up there. You can tell her the folks that like Long Island Iced Teas say hi. :)

Richard Joseph seems to be a fantastic cruise director :) . I hope he is still on board when we sail Aug. 10. Even tho we have been on many Princess cruises for some reason for the past several years we have been on RCCL. They've always given CC a great meet & mingle party and was disappointed that Princess did not also acknowledge us. I'm hoping Richard Joseph is starting a new trend. It's really good public relations. I would like to contact him but can't seem to get his e-mail address. The site you mentioned just brings me into the Princess website. :(

Leave off the www. I email Richard and got a fast response

Mike

Bob...you answered my questions!

We are scheduled to do the Amsterdam on your own tour and were toying with the idea of trying it on our own but now we'll stay with the safety of the Princess buses. I've read way too many horror stories about trying to catch back up with the ship! :eek:

9 buses of the 'Amsterdam in a Nutshell' tour? Wow...was that a caravan

or what?

Hope your trip to Paris is a great one...at least you get to see all the countryside!

Jeani

Replying to the question.....

Before noon would be best if possible. We arrived at 2:00 p.m. and had to wait a long ti,e to board.

I had FOUR orders of Crab Legs last night after an unnamed nu,ber of appetizers and soups. One tqble of four hqd six orders EACH,JimBlackegg

Last night of the cruise -- they'll be tallying up the bills soon so expect they'll close the internet cafe. It has been open 24 hours everyday since we put to sea the first night. We arrived in Le Havre an hour late this morning, due to the late busses last night! Never could make up that time. That set everything back a bit today, however, it turned out to be a great day in Paris. We did the Princess tour by land a Seine boat ride. It was a loooong trip -- 3 hours each way and way too much traffic! -- But the countryside was very pretty and lush green. We toured around by bus seeing the sights of Paris and then up to the top floor in a department store for a great view of the whole city. I brought my binoculars and was glad I did. Then some more bussing around and to the dock for the Seine cruise. That was the best one yet. They took all 7 bus loads on one boat, wined and dined us with all the wine or hard liquor you wanted (had a few happy singers on the bus on the way back) -- smoked salmon on little pancakes first, then duck with ragout, and a type of apple pie dessert. All very tasty. The covered boat was lovely with glass dome, sun shades, and air conditioning. Nice view of all of the important buildings while enjoying lunch. Then a chance to shop a bit and then head back to the ship. We made it back in time, but again, there were several late busses -- but we don't have that far to go tonight -- just across the channel -- so guess there will be no problem this time. As we were leaving, they were asking four people to please call the purser's office. Wonder if we left a few more??? Last dinner was Prime Rib (same as I started out ten days ago). And I had my last Princess Dream (with a little vanilla ice cream) for a while. My luck ran out on the docking -- we were port side to the dock for the first time in 7 ports. Of, well, 6 out of 7 isn't bad......... Guess that's it for this trip -- have to go pack and get my bags into the hall. Flying home to Boston tomorrow afternoon. Wonderful trip!:)

Bob

Bob, thanks for posting! It's been really nice hearing how your cruise is going, almost like I'm not really back at work. :)

Here's hoping the next round of cruisers have a great sailing! We'll be counting on you to keep us from thinking about our humdrum lives here at home! :D

FYI, we docked on the port side in Greenock and on embarkation day in Southampton. Can't remember about Belfast or Dublin, though.

Thanks Bob for taking the time for all of your posts. Reading everything that you've talked about makes us even more excited to board the Golden on 7/11 and do the same route.

Carolyn

Jim,

Have you any information about the train journey to Malmo, whether it was worth doing, cost, etc? And the unexpected port charges for Copenhagen, was that per person? There are 8 of us! And also, when I last docked in Copenhagen, I remember walking into town, past the Little Mermaid and in fact, all the way to the Tivoli Gardens and back. Is Golden docked too far out to do this or were we just very energetic?!!

Thanks

Tracey

Hi, I was on the May 2005 Golden cruise and was able to use my IPAQ PDA with WIFI in the Atrium. I was charged a flat rate of $10. for 30 minutes (purchased at the pursers desk). The system worked well after I found the right chairs to sit in to pick up the best signal (barrel chairs on the right facing the elevators).

Hi, I was on the May 2005 Golden cruise and was able to use my IPAQ PDA with WIFI in the Atrium. I was charged a flat rate of $10. for 30 minutes (purchased at the pursers desk). The system worked well after I found the right chairs to sit in to pick up the best signal (barrel chairs on the right facing the elevators).

We're on the July 11th Western Europe. Thanks for the heads up on where you found the best signal.

Karen

Hi all!

I am sure some of you are using digital camera. I have one question for folks that know the services in the Golden Princess. When we were with the Star Princess last year, they have a service where you can give them your camera memory card to download to your personal folder in their computer for storage every day. On the last day, they will burn all your digital photos from those files into a CD for you to keep. This way, I don't have to worry about running out of card memory! The service, if I can remember, cost about $20.00.

Do you know if the Golden Princess has similar service or not?

gene

Hello

Not much to report yet, but our flight from La to LHR was just about on time. We had a 20 minute wait for customs but when we arrived at the luggage carousel the luggage was waiting for us.

Stopped at the shop and was able to puchase a twin pack of Moet for 35 gbp.

Took a taxi to Thistle Hotel in Charing Cross, which we got on Priceline for $100. The taxi cost was 47.20 gbp and driver was very happy with 10 gpb tip. Hotel was excellent location and very nice and clean. We were able to walk to Picadilly circus in about 15 minutes. Also passed many theatres along the way. Walked to the Hard Rock cafe which was probobly about 1/2 hour.

From there we took a train to a pub called the White Horse. Had a pint of Koren something or the other. Took train back and walked to the Porter for fish and chips and a drink. My freinds then went on to the Porter House and from there an after hours club. They had a blast. The Porter House is very close to the hotel.

Ordered the care from Cheryl and they were early for our 10:30 departure to the ship. We had 5 people so they brought a van. it took one hour and 50 minutes to the ship.

We waited for one person in the Platinum and Elite line and waited in front of no one for the line to scan luggage. It was the BEST EVER and QUICKEST embarcation ever. We arrived at 12:20 p.m.

There are a few artists on board (Greber, Kelly) and we were invited through cruiser Greg to a preview last night. They served Dom for chamagne!!!

Cruise critic people had a get togther maybe 20 showed but it broke up fairly quickly. Black egg is trying to arrange a get together for Holyhead at 5:15.

So far the sea is like glass!!!

Stabdard first night menu in dining room.

Will try to check back again. :)

We waited for one person in the Platinum and Elite line and waited in front of no one for the line to scan luggage. It was the BEST EVER and QUICKEST embarcation ever. We arrived at 12:20 p.m.

Logie,

What was the normal line like at 12:20 PM? The first two cruises out of Southampton reported long lines. We're on the July 11th cruise and are trying to figure out what time to get "collected" by Cheryl. Thanks!!

Frederick

Hey Logie:

We changed the day of our Cruise Critic gathering to our Kirkwall port day. We are now scheduled to meet at the wheelhouse bar at 5:15 on that day after we return from touring.

I need help getting word around to the CC members aboard. NOT the Holyhead day but the Kirkwall day in the Wheelhouse Bar at 5:15. The cruise director is a GREAT guy setting up this gathering for us.

Sorry I don't have time to post more for those not on the ship. More later,

Jim

Blackegg

Hi all!

I am sure some of you are using digital camera. I have one question for folks that know the services in the Golden Princess. When we were with the Star Princess last year, they have a service where you can give them your camera memory card to download to your personal folder in their computer for storage every day. On the last day, they will burn all your digital photos from those files into a CD for you to keep. This way, I don't have to worry about running out of card memory! The service, if I can remember, cost about $20.00.

Do you know if the Golden Princess has similar service or not?

gene

Hi Gene,

Princess no longer offer this full (and great!) service on board although they will burn a CD for you, upto 600MB for $9.95 (I think) They stoppped the 'Digital Accounts' as they were 'taking up too much storage space' on the labs PC's.

One other new feature is a Picture Kiosk where you can download, print and burn your own CD's from your own memory cards - all formats taken.

Looking forward to one week tomorrow!

Tim.

Jim, I hope you have a great CC party.

However, it does mean that you will miss seeing the great scenery as you sail out of the Shetland islands.

I rather hope that on the 1st July sailing, we will be able to have a different time.

Enjoy your cruise. we are following your travels on this board and the bridge cam.

Cinnamon

Hi Gene,

Princess no longer offer this full (and great!) service on board although they will burn a CD for you, upto 600MB for $9.95 (I think) They stoppped the 'Digital Accounts' as they were 'taking up too much storage space' on the labs PC's.

One other new feature is a Picture Kiosk where you can download, print and burn your own CD's from your own memory cards - all formats taken.

Looking forward to one week tomorrow!

Tim.

Tim,

Thanks for the info. We're on the July 11th cruise. Picture Kiosk sounds nice. Does it seem to be readily available? I'm also bringing my Photo iPod along, but it always makes me feel better to have a CD in hand just in case.

Karen

Tim,

Thanks for the info. Do you know how much the cost is for the Kiosk thing? i assume you have to burn the CD right there and then ? it is better off to buy more memory cards for the cruise then.

Karen,

I am interested in buying the iPod Photo But how do you transfer the digital photos from an SD memory card to the iPod (Please don't tell me that I have to bring my luggable laptop!)?

gene

Tim,

Thanks for the info. Do you know how much the cost is for the Kiosk thing? i assume you have to burn the CD right there and then ? it is better off to buy more memory cards for the cruise then.

Karen,

I am interested in buying the iPod Photo But how do you transfer the digital photos from an SD memory card to the iPod (Please don't tell me that I have to bring my luggable laptop!)?

gene

Gene,

Apple makes an "iPod Camera Connector" that you'll want to buy for your Photo iPod. You just attach the camera connector (very small) to your iPod and then connect your digital camera to the iPod camera connector using the USB cable that came with your camera. Hope that helps.

Karen

Archived