Live from the Golden

cynbar

I hope the weather clears for you and you enjoy Edinburgh ... it's too bad you had to miss two ports. Your reports have been so informative!

I'm trying to arrange reservations for transportation from Southampton to Heathrow and need to know when I could expect to be off the ship on the last day :( If you receive the disembarkation notices listing all of the times for each color group - could you post what time the last group off is scheduled?

Thanks again for the great reports and enjoy Edinburgh!

Hi all, back again. Seas calmed down a bit when we passed between Orkney and the mainland of Scotland, but have picked up a bit again now that we're back out in the open. We are close enough to the Scottish coast that we have sea birds circling the ship, but still with probably 5-7 foot swells. Still, much better than before Orkney, that was definitely very rough.

DH is doing better, he had a massage and a shower and is now napping before dinner. That guy can sleep more than anyone else in the world! :D

Have been a bit disappointed in the amount of activities today. The afternoon just had bingo and a passenger talent show, which we didn't attend. If you like bridge and bingo, you'll be fine with sea day activities, but otherwise it's been a bit thin. Evening entertainment is pretty typical, though.

They gave us a form about disembarkation I think the first sea day, which was due yesterday at noon, asking when our flights are and when we want to get off the ship. Will let you know if we get any further info in time to post from the ship.

Tonight is "international dinner." We're all desperately hoping to get off the ship tomorrow in Edinburgh, and I think there may be a mutiny by some of the passengers if we don't!

Bye for now!

For those of you that are Costco members, they have Meclizine 25 mg - 100 tablets for $4.99 (even though it is an over the counter drug it is located behind the counter at the Pharmacy). Much cheaper than we've paid before for Bonine.

Wow, what a great thread. We were one the NY to SouthHampton cruise which docked on May 22nd for this group to get on. It was rough the entire way across so I feel for you with your rough seas. I agree on Newark Castle in Greenock! We loved it! Future cruisers may want to try the free tours offered by the Inverclyde tour group as that is what we did. They were 2 hours each and two (of about 6 or so) went to the Newark Castle. I think it was only then 2 Euros to get in. We also took the Greenock tour which went to the town's historic church where we were given a talk on the church history by a local church member. We then drove to a scenic site and heard some more history about the area. The third stop was the city hall where we had a tour and met the city provost. All in all an excellent day. The third tour to Gourock apparently included a country estate and we heard good things about it but could not make it. The group did ask for donations at the end to cover the bus rental and gas. They also asked everyone to fill in a survey at the end on how the tours could be better or what we liked. We chipped in $20 ($10 each for about 4 hours of touring each - it was a deal) but alot of people didn't donate at all. I hope they continue offering them. For those who don't have defined plans check the Inverclyde tourist tent when you get off the ship. Go early to try and get on the first bus at 9:15. It was to Newark Castle. We got off the Golden about then and the bus had already left so we signed up for the 2:45 Newark Castle tour which was the last one of the day. We also signed up for an 11:00 Greenock tour. We almost walked right by the booth offering the free tours, and even got half way to the train station where we were going to go to Glasgow when we decided to turn around and sign up for the local tours. I was really glad we did. Prior to our first tour we went to the local museum and then in between them we had a multi-course fabulous lunch at a local restaurant, which unfortunately I don't remember the name of. I'll put in a plug for the Vets for Pets booth at the cruise terminal. We put some money in there also since we loved the port so much and also left a few dollars at the church we toured. I was amazed to see the same people who were so solicitous, to get on and fill the empty seats of those who signed up but did not show up, prior to the tour turn into stoney faces when the hat was passed for gas and bus rental. There was even one gentleman who had been on a previous tour but did not have a ticket for the one we were on who refused to get off the bus as he wanted to attend the next one also. However our hosts were gracious and very enthusiastic about the area. They were all volunteers and fun to talk to. One of our tour guides was wearing a kilt so we got pictures with him. I hope someone on a future cruise tries this and then posts about it. It was one of the highlights of our cruise and I'm hoping they keep doing it.

On another topic that was posted. The Beef Wellington was fabulous! Absolutely superb! We enjoyed the Royal Pheasant also (I think it was the same meal) and ate so much we could not sleep at night.

My recommendation for motion sickness is the Ginger pills. If you take about 1 gm of Ginger with every meal (every 3-4 hrs) it really helps with motion sickness. I tried the Bonine pills but they made me too sleepy. I've used the Ginger on two transatlantics (and this last one was a rough one) and it has worked great! However between breakfast, lunch, tea, ice cream hour (3:30-4:30), dinner and late night snack we were averaging 5-6 meals per day. The tea sandwiches and scones were good but hard to fit in with all the other food especially since we partook of the ice cream which was about the same time on the ship.

Cheers to all the future and present British Isles cruisers!

Michelle

We are sailing the Southern Caribbean on the Golden Princess January 28th and are very excited especially after hearing how beautiful this ship is. Did anyone stay at a hotel in San Juan before or after their cruise? We have a reservation at the El Portal Hotel (the only one that had a reasonable price) and can't find details about it's location. I would like to know how far it is from the airport and from the cruise ship piers. Thank you!

Theresa K

Thank you all for your informative posts from your cruise.

Michelle, thanks for all that information on Greenock. The website for the tourist board there is www.glimpsesofgreenock.co.uk. I am on the June 20 sailing of RCCL's Jewel of the Seas and have passed this information on to our sailing and the July sailing message boards.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise!

Sue

Hello my wife and I just signed up for the cruise on the 21st. Looking forward to meeting new friends and seeing Europe.

Any suggestions accepted since this will be our first European cruise.

Flying out of Atlanta and on the Caribe deck.

Thanks

Jeff and Linda:)

Have you checked out our group on the Roll Call Board? There are a bunch of us.

Hi all! Had a fabulous day in Edinburgh today, our first tender port that we were actually able to do. The ship anchored in the Firth (that's Scots for "estuary") of Forth, water is very smooth here. Tendering was a breeze, we got to the lounge where they passed out tender tickets at 7AM and were on the first tender. If you decide to go into town by train, be advised that it's quite a hike up the hill to the train station. It's not far, but it's steep and involves a lot of muddy stairs, so those with mobility problems should plan to take a cab to the station. We visited Edinburgh Castle and walked down the Royal Mile to Holyrood Palace. We also visited St. Giles Cathedral and saw the parking space under which John Knox is buried (#23, it had a Land Rover parked in it today). There's a very cheap cafe in the basement of St. Giles, good food, very hot tea. The two of us ate for 6.50 pounds, not too bad.

The Holyrood Palace tour comes with a free audio guide that is quite informative, so it was a really good place to visit. We didn't visit the Queen's Gallery (on the same site, additional entrance fee), but we did look in the gift shop and the had the most hiddeous Charles & Camilla wedding china, it was absolutely hillarious. :D

Edinburgh Castle is not to be missed. Plan plenty of time there. The military museum wasn't my cup of tea (very pro-union, no info about pre-union military at all) but the rest of the place is definitely worth visiting. I've always wanted to see the Stone of Scone and I finally got to today! The exhibit on the Crown Jewels was more interesting to me than the one at the Tower of London, although the jewels themselves are less impressive.

We are sailing now from South Queensferry, and it's just starting to rain, but it was mostly sunny all day and not too cool. Thank goodness we went ashore today, or I think the passengers would have rioted. Everyone was just a little stircrazy yesterday!

Haven't checked the menu for tonight, but last night was a random assortment of foods from all over the world. Won ton soup, surf and turf, stuffed pasta with ricotta and spinach, etc. Good, but a little eccletic.

There is more tartan stuff to buy along the Royal Mile than you can shake a stick at, so if anyone is planning on buying anything tartan, you'll probably find it there.

Oh, the train into town: once you make it up the hill to the station, it's very easy (and inexpensive) to get into town. It was a little confusing finding our train on the way home (and the first train we got on broke down before we got out of the station, they announced that it had been delcared a failure, very funny!), but if you ask the station staff where you go to get the train to Dalmeny, they'll point you in the right direction.

Our patter today said we were sailing at 7 so the last tender was at 6:30, but the signs at the gangway said the last tender was at 5:30, but we didn't actually sail until 7. Not sure what the real story was, haven't heard yet, but it would have been nice to have the extra hour in town...we came back from the city at 4:00 figuring we didn't want to be in a sea of people trying to get on the last tender.

Have discovered that the balding bartender at the Lobby Bar pours heavy. :D

Will probably post tomorrow at sea. Oh, one more thing: we have a new commedian tonight, Steve somebody-or-other. We may go see him tonight if DH can stay up past 10:45. :D

Hello Calikak,

Thanks a lot for your Edinburgh update, glad you got ashore today.

As the weather probably will not be that much better on our June 11th

sailing I would like to know what movies they played.

Most of the movies they play are new and not out in Belgium yet. This

way I can do some research...

Thanks a lot

Calikak,

Would you have happened to have met two ladies from Cleveland, Tennessee by the names of Joanne Swafford and Juanita Dady on this cruise? They attend church with my in-laws who I'm sailing with on June 11th. Thanks so much for your post. Very, very, very helpful.

KG in Tennessee

Hello All! Edinburgh was wonderful;sunny and high 60's (except on tender;) ). Sue had arranged a private tour for us with Bill Pendland who arrived in a marvelous kilt. He had such a knowledge, love and passion for the area that we were entertained the entire 8 hours in the nice 14 passenger van. To top it off, he brought his bagpipes and entertained us (and a surrounding crowd) with three songs. I was soooo happy (wiping away tears:D ). We went to Stirling Castle, the castle Mary Queen of Scots was born in, had our picture taken with the wooly cow Fergus, toured the Trussocks (sp) which was gorgeous and then into Edinburgh where we had lunch at the Parliment's cafeteria (Bill got us in on his special pass) which was quick, cheap and good! We then walked some of the mile and drove the rest of it. None of us wanted to leave Bill!

Yes, I agree with Beth, this is definitely a cruise where you make your own fun. Fortunately, there is the French Open (tennis) for DH and I am never bored! It has been a great trip but after spending a blissful week in Paris and London pre-cruise, we are all anxious to get home!

Believe it or not, they are going to start letting us off the ship at 6:00 AM. I'll have to see it to believe it!

Hope everyone continues to make friends through cruise critic because the wonderful people I now know made this cruise a sucess even with the missed ports! Now I have to go pack....ugh!

PS The seas are MUCH calmer!

Hi all! I can't believe that disembarkation is tomorrow, I don't want to leave! Despite the missed ports, we've had a great time and made lots of new friends and I hope we'll get to sail with some of them again soon.

We got our disembarkation stuff last night before bedtime. DH and I are in the Green group so we're supposedly disembarking at 7:30 AM. My parents have a Princess transfer to London and are getting off the ship at 7:15. We're almost 100% packed, that's how we spent our morning, just a few toiletries and tomorrow's clothes (and today's) left out.

Went to the art auction today and actually bought something! Yes, I'm now one of those people, who knew? We bought the original Ditching Dorothy by De La Nuez, which we have been eying for the past 3 cruises as a copy, so buying the original was quite a thrill for me! Plus, it's rare that DH and I agree on art. :) Mom bought a Disney cel of Dumbo, so everyone left the auction as a winner.

Movies they've shown include National Treasure, Jersey Girl, Meet the Fockers, Stepford Wives, and Shall We Dance.

Dinner last night had mostly seafood, and I had a lovely pesto pasta, plus bananas foster in the traditional dining room. We were kicking ourselves for not inviting Lynne & Mitchell, but I know Mitchell doesn't like to eat that late anyway, so I guess it's OK.

Lynne's right that the seas are quite a bit calmer today. Plus it was sunny and warm, We're starting to sail into some haze, but there's very little motion at all.

So, this will be my last post Live from the Golden...hopefully those on the next sailing will keep this thead going! Bye, everyone!

Beth - Thank you for all your wonderful posts - both on the Golden and before on the Roll Call....I'm just firming up the details for our July 31 & Aug. 10 legs on the Golden and appreciate all your help!

Looking at the rate drop on the Aug. 20 TransAtlantic - it's tempting to just stay on to Sept. 3 and get off in New York .

I think I'll wait a bit more (after Final Payment) or even see what's up on the ship, sometimes they offer a really good price to stay aboard if the ship is not full..

I've nothing to lose & can easily and cheaply fly home from NYC - (just toss my return award ticket on AA)

Never have done 34 days - but how bad can it be??

Have a good trip home....GotToCruise (aka Renee)

Beth,

Thanks so much for your postings. We will be on the Golden June 11th and your info has been priceless.

Congrats on your art purchase. The June 11th cruise is billed to be an art connoisseur cruise, and several of the artists will actually be onboard. The DW is a Carrie Graber collector, so she was very excited to learn Carrie will be sailing with us.

Once again, thank you!!!

Greg

Live from the Golden contributors,

Your postings have been wonderful. We've looked forward to them, more than you will ever know. It became a morning ritual, my cup of tea and thee. I wish I could tell you how many times I have yelled from the computer room, "Hey hon, listen to this!". We look forward to seeing your names on our next voyage's thread. God Bless.

Pat

Thanks for all your postings. Its a shame our weather wasn't better, One last thing.

Don't forget to reclaim your sales tax on departure from London. .... ... you did collect you refund forms didn't you? Receipts are not good enough you need a pukka reclaim form from each shop.

If not hope future readers will learn from this, Email me bob.barrows@btinternet.com for further information.

I was a customs officer for last 35 years so I know whats what! (When it comes to Customs matters !)

Thanks again

Bob

Dear Fellow-Goldeners:

London has been wonderful with perfect, cool partly cloudy skies. It is a captivating town.

Tomorrow we will take the bus to Southhampton and then board the Golden for the next three weeks.

I will try to post here as much as possible.

Thanks for all the info from the current cruisers.

Sailing soon,

Jim

Blackegg

Dear Fellow-Goldeners:

London has been wonderful with perfect, cool partly cloudy skies. It is a captivating town.

Tomorrow we will take the bus to Southhampton and then board the Golden for the next three weeks.

I will try to post here as much as possible.

Thanks for all the info from the current cruisers.

Sailing soon,

Jim

Blackegg

Enjoy! Give us updates when you can. We board The Golden on 7/11 and love hearing all about the sailings prior to going. I promise to add to the thread once on board.

Carolyn

Would just like to add my thanks to the posters and encouragement to the next Goldeners. It certainly brings alive the cruise we are taking on 1st July.

I am a bit disappointed in the remarks about having to make one's own fun. The onboard activities should be enough to keep everyone happy. I wonder what Princess is doing wrong on this ship. Future cruisers, please keep us informed about the activities, the CD and assistant. Thank you.

Cinnamon

Archived