How to pack clothes that will stay packed a few days??

We will be in Seattle for a few days prior to our Alaskan cruise. I'm planning to pack the small suitcase with our Seattle clothes & leave the large suitcase with the cruise clothes packed until we get onboard. Any suggestions or unique tips to keep the dress clothes looking good without having to unpack them for those few days??

Save the plastic bags that your dry cleaner places over your clothes. As you fold your dress clothes, layer the dry cleaning bags between them (or better yet, leave your dress clothes on thin hangers and place the bags over them before you fold them). It makes an amazing difference in the amount of wrinkles that develop.

I've packed suitcases that stayed packed for weeks with no problem. We used to combine beach and city vacations in Europe and would have different suitcases for clothes we needed at beach resorts vs the cities we would visit either before or after.

I use metal dry cleaner hangers and place a dry cleaner bag on the hanger, then hang the dress or jacket or garment over that bag. I then put another dry cleaner bag over the garment and the trapped air from both those bags keeps the clothes from wrinkling.

Our cabins on the ships include dry cleaning, laundry and pressing. I almost never have to send anything out for pressing when we unpack. Once in a great while an odd dress here or there might need a touch up but rarely.

Another packing tip that I've been so happy I have done.

When you start packing, line the bottom of your suitcase with a dry cleaner plastic bag and bring it up the sides. Pack you clothes and when finished, lay a bag or two across the top and down the sides to meet the one coming up.

If your bag is left in the rain at an airport tarmack or at the cruise dock pierside, the contents will stay dry.

My advice would be exactly the same, dry cleaner bags. I never take along our travel steamer any longer, we do have a small bottle of wrinkle releaser packed in the toiletry kit, yet never even use that.

The only other hint I would give is to take clothing that doesn't tend to wrinkle.

Thank you all!! I don't use a dry cleaner very often, so I wonder if I can go in & offer to buy some bags?

I do a lot of dry cleaning so my cleaner is happy to provide metal hangers and bags if I need them for packing.

You certainly can go to a few and ask. I think most would be happy to provide you with a few.

I almost never get anything dry cleaned. I do go to the local dry cleaners and buy several before every cruise. I think the short ones are 15 cents and the larger ones are 25 cents. I usually get 10 bags, 5 of each size.

Good luck and have a fun cruise. Alaska is amazing.

I try to choose fabrics that dont wrinkle - Broomstick/crinkle material, certain knits. For everything else I lay several layers of tissue paper over each garment before folding or rolling it Over the tissue paper so that it cushions the folds. Hanging garments in the steamy bathroom while you shower usually works for stubborn wrinkles,

I think for me the key is to pack things tight so they can't move around but not cram them in so that the fabric wrinles. I tend to roll casual clothes tightly and pack dressy stuff on top in dry cleaner bags. If I do have any wrinkles, hanging them up in the bathroom while we shower usually does the trick!

As suggested, I use dry cleaner, store plastic garmet or ziplock bags. I've also used tissue paper to fold silks, but I'm not that good with that.

I like the suggestion to wrap the inside of the suitcase with plastic. Thanks!

Archived