Portland

canuck eh?

We are back from our cruise. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. We did make it to Freeport, went to LLBean on the day they were celebrating their 100th anniversary. Enjoyed a free hot dog, a local Maine Apple and cider and seeing the Weiner Mobile. Found the wicked whoopie store and enjoyed a cup of coffee and a red velvet whoopie--yum!!! Then we decided to find the winery. Figured we would see some pretty leaves if nothing else. We did get to the winery and enjoyed the tastings. Afterward, hopped in the car and headed back to Portland. Did Cape Elizabeth circle but didn't see the lighthouses. Missed the turn and my DH was getting nervous about getting back to the ship so we just headed back to the rental car agency, called a taxi and got back to the ship in plenty of time.

I would not advise taking a mobility scooter to Trader Joes, there was a lot of traffic. It is just down the street from the rental car agency. It took about 10 minutes in a taxi to get back to the ship and only cost $4.50. Take a taxi if you want to go but we didn't stay in there long because of so many people in there. There was also very little parking available.

Really enjoyed our trip and once again, thanks for the info. Vicki

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I have always lived near a Trader Joes and it blows my mind that this is a tourist destination!

Thanks to the person who suggested Googling the foodie walking tour. Carnival does book this through their website but they charge an extra $10 over the regular price. Has anyone on this thread done the tour?

Well, it's the only one in Maine. The next nearest is in Portsmouth, NH.

If you want/need a grocery store near the pier take a cab or your rental car to "Hannaford's on Forest Ave". Very close to TJ's (and Whole Foods, which has the same issues as TJ's with no parking and crowding).

Thanks to the person who suggested Googling the foodie walking tour. Carnival does book this through their website but they charge an extra $10 over the regular price. Has anyone on this thread done the tour?

I went on the culinary walking tour in Portland. We booked it independently since it wasn't offered throught the cruisline. We were able to book in online through mainefoodietours

Here is the write up I did in my 2010 review

Portland Maine ; Great time on a 2.5 hour Culinary Walking tour we booked online they have two foodies tours the other was a trolley one. There was a lot of walking which we enjoyed and the tour guide was great. She gave us lots of personal attention and included all kinds of historic, architecture, and interesting stories about Portland. We walked throughout the town stopping in a local fish market which was interesting. We sampled things and various stops like gourmet chocolate truffles, lobster, cheese, blueberry jam on hot scones, and the guys favorite... beer! I am really glad we choose this tour as it gave us a true taste of what Portland has to offer! When it was over we walked to the Shipyard Brewery and took their tour. Wasn't all that interesting since it was a Saturday and they weren't bottling then, but we sampled several beers as well as their own sodas. I took back a 4 pack of their root beer for my son, which he loved. The scanners at the ship took a good hard look at my carry on. They let me take in on after determining it was just root beer.

• 2 years later...
We will be there on 9/23 on Celebrity Summit. How many ships can the port hold?

There will be 2 cruise ships in Portland on 9/23: Celebrity Summit will be berthed at Ocean Gateway, Pier 2; and the Carnival Splendor, at the Portland Ocean Terminal, the former arrives at 8AM and the latter, 7AM.

Is there a separate tour that goes to Kennebunkport?

Celebrity offers a coach tour of Kennebunkport (PW01), or you could rent a car and DIY.

SBtS

There will be 2 cruise ships in Portland on 9/23: Celebrity Summit will be berthed at Ocean Gateway, Pier 2; and the Carnival Splendor, at the Portland Ocean Terminal, the former arrives at 8AM and the latter, 7AM.

Celebrity offers a coach tour of Kennebunkport (PW01), or you could rent a car and DIY.

SBtS

Thanks. I'll have to check it out. Where did you find the port info about who else is in port?

I still don't know where we'll be berthed in Quebec on the 11th.

We don't want to rent a car...we'd also like to explore the town and grab lunch.

It looks very pretty from pictures I've seen.

Thanks. I'll have to check it out. Where did you find the port info about who else is in port?

I still don't know where we'll be berthed in Quebec on the 11th.

We don't want to rent a car...we'd also like to explore the town and grab lunch.

It looks very pretty from pictures I've seen.

New England cruise ship schedule

This may be of some help for Quebec.

SBtS