Portland

canuck eh?

Is there a way to take a scenic drive back from Kennebunkport to Portland. Possibly along the coast. Thanks for the info. The rental car sounds like a good idea if there is scenery to and from.

You can certainly go the back ways and route 1 and hug the coast. From Kennebunkport you'd head north through cape porpoise and Biddeford pool, which are similar to KBport...from there it gets progressivly more city like you go though biddeford and saco, scarborogh, and into portland. Its a fine drive but will take you three times longer than taking the pike. Like someone else said--it's new england, lots of stop signs, lots of little towns and small roads:)

For anyone who just likes some quiet, sit-and-watch-the-boats-come-in time...

You can walk out of the Cruise Terminal and turn right. Stay near the shoreline, and pretty quickly, you'll come upon the "Eastern Promenade Trail," which is a multi-use paved (and crushed rock) trail for biking, hiking, rollerblading, etc. Follow the trail, and soon it will head to your left and climb a hill. Portland Harbor will be on your right, and the Eastern Promenade Park will be on your left. Grab a bench and hang out. Or bring a kite along and fly a kite. If you walk through the park toward the city, you'll come upon the "Eastern Promenade" (road). If you cross the road and follow Congress St. a couple of blocks, you'll find the Portland Observatory, which you may be able to go up (for a fee).

Those are some options for a quieter day in Portland! :)

Thanks so much - sounds like a plan.

You can certainly go the back ways and route 1 and hug the coast. From Kennebunkport you'd head north through cape porpoise and Biddeford pool, which are similar to KBport...from there it gets progressivly more city like you go though biddeford and saco, scarborogh, and into portland. Its a fine drive but will take you three times longer than taking the pike. Like someone else said--it's new england, lots of stop signs, lots of little towns and small roads:)

Thanks for the info and thanks Mnbruce. Still trying to decide if I should go to Kennebunkport on a tour with a hour boat cruise or just stay in Portland and go see three lighthouses. We have been to Kennebunkport from Boston but Like the idea of taking a little boat ride around Walkers Point. Oh decisions. decisions.:)

Thanks for the info and thanks Mnbruce. Still trying to decide if I should go to Kennebunkport on a tour with a hour boat cruise or just stay in Portland and go see three lighthouses. We have been to Kennebunkport from Boston but Like the idea of taking a little boat ride around Walkers Point. Oh decisions. decisions.:)

If you do decide to go the KB route and like lighthouses, you can usually have the boat swing down past Nubble Light in York Beach...only a few miles from Walkers Point and for my money the nicest lighthouse in the area;)

the Duck tour is lots of fun-you'll see the historic sites and the amphibious vehicle even takes you into the water!

Portland has many beautiful old homes and gardens on "Munjoy Hill"to see while on the tour, or just take a walk around. The terminal is in the historic district-go left as you leave the ship and you're there! The area is called"the Old Port" and is packed with local shops,local jewelers, pubs and restaurants. Or go straight up the hill on India Street to Congress St-turn right to Munjoy Hill-you will see the Portland Observatory-it gives you great views of the islands and the bay.

Also on upper Congress street,there is a new Jewish Museum, an ancient cemetery,sweet local shops and bakeries,antique shops and great award winning restaurants(Portland is a "foodie" town)

The I.M.Pei designed Portland Museum of Art has a renowned collection-Winslow Homers, Wyeths, impressionists, photography,sculpture and a delightful cafe-see the web site-

Located near the Victoria Mansion (wonderful guided tours) and the Art Museum in the 'downtown' area are the Irish Heritage Society, the Maine College of Art, the Henry Wadsworth Longfellow House, the Maine Historical Society, the Neil Dow House and many galleries, more local and ethnic restaurants-all located in walking distance no more than 15 minutes from the ship!

I live in Portland and never tire of this small city.

Edited by happier
spelling

the Duck tour is lots of fun-you'll see the historic sites and the amphibious vehicle even takes you into the water!

Portland has many beautiful old homes and gardens on "Munjoy Hill"to see while on the tour, or just take a walk around. The terminal is in the historic district-go left as you leave the ship and you're there! The area is called"the Old Port" and is packed with local shops,local jewelers, pubs and restaurants. Or go straight up the hill on India Street to Congress St-turn right to Munjoy Hill-you will see the Portland Observatory-it gives you great views of the islands and the bay.

Also on upper Congress street,there is a new Jewish Museum, an ancient cemetery,sweet local shops and bakeries,antique shops and great award winning restaurants(Portland is a "foodie" town)

The I.M.Pei designed Portland Museum of Art has a renowned collection-Winslow Homers, Wyeths, impressionists, photography,sculpture and a delightful cafe-see the web site-

Located near the Victoria Mansion (wonderful guided tours) and the Art Museum in the 'downtown' area are the Irish Heritage Society, the Maine College of Art, the Henry Wadsworth Longfellow House, the Maine Historical Society, the Neil Dow House and many galleries, more local and ethnic restaurants-all located in walking distance no more than 15 minutes from the ship!

I live in Portland and never tire of this small city.

This sounds just like the kind of day we'll spend on our next visit to Portland. We love that city and each time we visit, we enjoy it more.

Had an amazing dinner at Hugo's last fall. Fabulous James Beard Chef.

This sounds just like the kind of day we'll spend on our next visit to Portland. We love that city and each time we visit, we enjoy it more.

Had an amazing dinner at Hugo's last fall. Fabulous James Beard Chef.

We sure like it:) Hugo's is great, Fore Street is also great, and Duckfat might be my favorite;)

We sure like it:) Hugo's is great, Fore Street is also great, and Duckfat might be my favorite;)

on a nice day, you can eat outside at almost all the restaurants-our very favorite is outside at the Regency on Milk Street. From there you can walk in the Old Port and also up to the Eastern Prom via Munjoy Hill and do the Portland Observatory on the way(no reservations needed and it's quite historic)

I just found this thread. We were planning to walk on the Eastern Promenade Trail. Glad to know it's a good choice. I also read something about a playground further along the trail. Can anyone confirm if there is a playground and how far it is from the port? Thanks.

[Well... I tried to post a link to google maps, but I guess I can't do that.]

I was pretty sure that there was a playground, but I wasn't positive. I'm a little surprised that it's labeled on GMaps, but there it is!

Looks like the playground is closer to the Eastern Prom than to the trail... but you should be able to find it. Most of the space between the trail and Prom is green park space anyway. When you get to Cutter street, I'd leave the trail and start to cut up through the park area.

Edited by jtwitch

I just found this thread. We were planning to walk on the Eastern Promenade Trail. Glad to know it's a good choice. I also read something about a playground further along the trail. Can anyone confirm if there is a playground and how far it is from the port? Thanks.

There is the Eastern Prom Playground at 197-229 Eastern Prom, and there is East End School Playground at 414 Eastern Prom. Use Maine State Pier (one of 2 cruise terminals about a 1/4 mile apart...MSP will be the furthest distance) as a starting point and check out the distance on googlemaps, or mapquest! Enjoy your visit!

What about Dimilio's On The Water? Do they have a nice lunch and is it worth the walk? Or should we get a cab?

Dimillo's is definitely walkable for most people.

It's a nicer restaurant and the food is good. I find them a little pricy for my tastes, but that's where we often bring out-of-town guests. It's a novelty for most people, because the restaurant is actually a very large boat that is floating. However, some of the novelty will be lost on people who just got off a cruise ship!!!

Dimillo's is definitely walkable for most people.

It's a nicer restaurant and the food is good. I find them a little pricy for my tastes, but that's where we often bring out-of-town guests. It's a novelty for most people, because the restaurant is actually a very large boat that is floating. However, some of the novelty will be lost on people who just got off a cruise ship!!!

Ask to sit on the outside TOP deck if it is a nice day! You'll have a great view of the harbor, marina and your ship! :)

Ask to sit on the outside TOP deck if it is a nice day! You'll have a great view of the harbor, marina and your ship! :)

Thanks for the info! We are doing the morning tour "Lighthouses of Maine", then we are free to have lunch and explore. I was thinking Dimillo's. I think our 7 year old might like eating on a floating restaurant. All I care about is fish and chips. I hope they have some good fish and chips. Or is there another place you recommend for fish and chips?

Thanks for the info! We are doing the morning tour "Lighthouses of Maine", then we are free to have lunch and explore. I was thinking Dimillo's. I think our 7 year old might like eating on a floating restaurant. All I care about is fish and chips. I hope they have some good fish and chips. Or is there another place you recommend for fish and chips?

Here is the lunch menu:

http://www.dimillos.com/restaurant/lunch.html

Haddock is the white fish of choice here in Maine. You could order the haddock sandwich with french fries, or the fried haddock dinner with french fries and be very close to your "fish and chips"! :)

• 3 weeks later...
Last fall we rented a car and drove to Kennebunkport after going to the Portland Head Lighthouse. Then we stopped at Trader Joe's in Portland for some cheap wine.

I live way up north in Maine but have been to Trader Joes in Portland. They have sooo many different kinds of interesting wine (try something blueberry) and the prices are quite cheap---some as little as $3.00 per bottle. Also lots of interest healthfood type stuff such as chocolate covered pomegranite seeds.

• 3 weeks later...
I live way up north in Maine but have been to Trader Joes in Portland. They have sooo many different kinds of interesting wine (try something blueberry) and the prices are quite cheap---some as little as $3.00 per bottle. Also lots of interest healthfood type stuff such as chocolate covered pomegranite seeds.

Hi! I'm way up north too! Caribou....