Getting to Ardastra Gardens Zoo

mpr774

I have read on the boards that the zoo is walkable from the port. I found a link that showed the distance on Google maps and its says it is 10 miles away; is this correct? I was thinking of going to the zoo then walking to fort charlotte but I'm confused it said that is 6 miles away from the zoo I thought it was closer.

Also is the sun strong during late August (going Aug 30) and is it humid? Going with kids don't want to walk if its too hot.

We took the jitney 10 to the Zoo. But on the way back we walked, My kids were 11 and 8 at the time and it was easy. Go to the zoo early, we got there when the zoo first opened and had it all to ourselves.

It was an fine, but somewhat long walk- 2 miles sounds right. I wouldn't do it with young kids, but we had a lovely stroll. Lots to look at along the way.

You could always take the bus or a taxi there, and then decide if you want to walk back and go by the fort.

Thank you for posting this question. I want to go to the gardens and the fort also and was curious the best way to do it. I was going to book a ship excursion but I really want more time to explore on my own. I am solo and wondering if it is safe to walk around alone. It is in the middle of the day so I am assuming it is ok since there are so many people around.

Archived