Allure of the seas- Eastern- april 15-22nd Review

P4190577.jpg

(this was a first for us. the waiter brought the CC reader to the table to do it yourself)

P4190581.jpg

Sunset Bar from beach

530300_274099152679705_100002388672629_593278_1866213792_n1.jpg

my parents make me laugh!

301737_274094842680136_100002388672629_593246_1538569477_n1.jpg

what happens when you try to instruct mom how to take a pic with the plane going over our heads...oh well!

P4190428.jpg

in our van( wish i had a better pic to show it)

super great review...we are on allure later in may and ssem to be doing the same things as you ..going to St. John for the day...think we are going to the shopping one and just skip out on the shopping piece...we have a private tour booked with joyce prince in st marten and plan and going to a few beaches...

dont miss le galion!!!

dont miss le galion!!!

We are also doing a private tour with Bernard. At le galion, did you see a bar/ restaurant there? If so, what did you think of that? I am still up in the air with going to Le galion or Pinel Island. Your pic. are great. Thanks for posting.

We are also doing a private tour with Bernard. At le galion, did you see a bar/ restaurant there? If so, what did you think of that? I am still up in the air with going to Le galion or Pinel Island. Your pic. are great. Thanks for posting.

there was a guy that sold us 2 chairs and an umbrealla for 20 bucks. there was a bar/restaurant. I did not go to it. Our friends ate there on their honeymoon and said it was good. we just kept going back to the van to our "bar" bernards tour provided! He offered to take us to lunch somewhere as part of the tour. We chose to eat at sunset bar and grill at maho to give us more time at the beach. Hope that helps!

we got back on the ship. watched sail away from our balcony at 5. Freshened up and then my mom came to keep an eye on the baby (he was napping on the balcony) while she dried her hair for dinner and my DH and I went to get a drink at the pool bar and finally discovered deck 14 opened!!

IMG_74872.jpg

IMG_7587.jpg

IMG_7588.jpg

Untitled-4.jpg

IMG_7590.jpg

IMG_7594.jpg

After this we went to dinner in the MDR at 6pm. I had to get up about 5 times with the baby because he just had a great nap and sitting in the MDR is boring for a busy bee! After dinner DH went back to our cabin with the baby. DH didnt get his usual afternoon nap so he was tired. The rest of us went to ice games at 7:30 and then mom, brother and I went up and down a couple of times on the rising tide. I had a mudslide and it was DELICIOUS!! Then we went to cupcake! I got the red velvet took it back to the room to share with DH! We watched a cute dreamworks movie on tv and went to sleep!!

Having a great time reading your review as we are gearing up to sail the Allure this summer. We're really struggling with doing a private tour or just going it on our own. Last time we were there we taxied on our own to see Marigot and spent time at Little Divi Bay. Le Galion looked great. Any potential snorkeling there? Also, were the clientele clothed? :eek: My boys would love to see those iguanas. Any idea where you stopped to see them?

Thanks!

Having a great time reading your review as we are gearing up to sail the Allure this summer. We're really struggling with doing a private tour or just going it on our own. Last time we were there we taxied on our own to see Marigot and spent time at Little Divi Bay. Le Galion looked great. Any potential snorkeling there? Also, were the clientele clothed? :eek: My boys would love to see those iguanas. Any idea where you stopped to see them?

Thanks!

I dont think there would be snorkeling at le galion. Didnt see anyone in the water doing it or anyone on the beach renting gear. Its so calm and water was only 2 my waist more than half way away from the beach! I didnt see any nudity but from what i understand orient is the only beach that allows nudity (in part of it) but at all of the french beaches (including le gallion) women could be topless. We did not see any! It was very family oriented!

IMG_7596.jpg

(deck 14 fwd)

IMG_7591.jpg

(love this spot on deck 14)

IMG_7642.jpg

Rising tide bar! yummy mudslides here!

IMG_7645.jpg

(cupcakes)

Untitled-3.jpg

my brother and i with our cupcakes!

next up: friday (sea day)- more pool time, lunch at wipe out, putt putt, formal night, blue planet, meeting shrek!

Friday morning. We got up and moving around 7:30. We were out on the pool deck by 8. I was shocked. Our plan was to get 2 chairs and an umbrella at the pool deck for a few hours. NONE were available and only about 8-9 people were sitting in that area. It made me so sad. That was one of my check boxes for the cruise. Oh well. We got great seats by the hot tub in the kidz zone which put us closer to the baby splash zone, but in the sun. The baby splash zone chairs are all in the shade which is nice if that's what you're looking for!

Untitled-6.jpg

DH went up to the windjammer and got a huge plate of breakfast for us to share! I put sunscrean on me and the baby. Around 9 I ran back to our room to call my parents room to tell them where we were but they werent there. I did get my brother and told him he could have the baby's seat at the pool (little did he know- haha)! 9 am was our rule. not to call before 9am to their room/our room after 9pm unless we knew each other were up or an emergency. Well I started thinking when I hung up the phone...I bet I know where to find my parents...and I did find them in Johnny Rocket's with their coffee....predictable!!

Dad was heading to the gym, mom to the jogging track. She wanted to come see the baby first though so she followed me back. When I got back he was rubbing his eyes like he was tired. I was thinking...after all that work you're gonna get sleepy on me buddy but before I could say anything mom offered to take him in the stroller around the jogging track with her!! YAY!

IMG_7651.jpg

Brother joined us and we got a laugh out of his chair but there was another one on the other side of us available. The kids area didnt fill up early which surprised me! We all enjoyed quiet time with our books/ipods and then Dad came and joined us. By about 10/10:30 it was starting to get pretty hot in the sun and mom and baby were still MIA so my brother, DH and I went to the solarium to our favorite pool! We went for just under 30 minutes (we are rule followers and didnt leave our chairs longer than 30). When we got back mom, dad, baby were all there! We played at the baby splash zone. Mom said he only napped for about 20 minutes the whole time they were gone. So we didnt play for long and then DH and I took him to the room and we all took a nap! We planned with the family to meet at the Allure Dunes area at 12:30.

P4200015.jpg

P4200018.jpg

When we got there we decided to eat first. Brother, Mom, and Dad went to the windjammer (mom still hadnt been there). DH, baby and I went to wipe out cafe. okay okay moment of truth on why we split up. DS has a adorable pair of shorts with surf boards and I wanted a picture of him with the surf board seats in his surf shorts!! yes, I am a nerd like that!!!

P4200028.jpg

I enjoyed the food there though. Everyone was in bathing suits for the most part though. I went back for strawberry soft serve before we headed to putt putt.

We walked into the elevator area of deck 15 aft and about to walk up the steps to the windjammer and they were already on the way down. perfect timing!!

Mom, brother, DH and I played a round of putt putt. The baby sat with my dad and watched. My brother won! After putt putt we decided it was DS turn for all the attention so we took him to the babies and tots area to play. We also signed him up for babysitting for the night. I was determined to have a peaceful dinner!! ha!

P4200039.jpg

Then we went back for nap #2. DH and I watched a movie on the TV and then I started getting ready for formal night.

We dropped the baby off right at 6. Ive never left the baby with anyone except for mom or a friend at my house so of course in my nervousness i forgot to take diapers! haha. DH took some back and I headed to the MDR. We got through appetizers. I got a beautiful, strong and delicious cosmopolitan drink. Dinner was put in front of me and the nursery called on the phone that he was crying. DH took the diapers back so I insisted it was my turn. I went cuddled him and had him laughing. I gave him back and watched him play for a few minutes and then went back to dinner. I took a few bites (i got pasta with a red sauce and scallops and it wasnt that good but i wasnt interested in getting something else). Dessert got to the table and the SHAKING began...everyone had that look like what just happened...I jumped up and said forget it...I'm going to get my baby.

IMG_7653.jpg

Untitled-7.jpg

(She was our Maitre D (i think). I cant say enough great things about her! She could always make DS laugh and she was so nice!! If you ever come across her on the allure, you are in good hands!)

At this point BRAVO was shouted over the PA. DH didnt understand and wanted me to wait for an announcement. I said "THAT MEANS FIRE, I KNOW THIS FROM CRUISE CRITIC"... No thank you babe! I said I'd really like you to come with me. He couldnt keep up. I was pretty much running. And the more panicked people I saw I got faster!!!

The sweet ladies in the nursery were not concerned but they were understanding. I debated leaving him when they announced it was being investigated or something along those lines. Then I heard the girl say to another that they were not to accept any more children at this time.....hmmm I'm taking my baby!!

We went to the room and i started putting on my jeans and organizing in case things took a turn for the worst. We went to my parents room. They had returned (with DH's jacket- oops)! Then captain johnny came on and said that the fire was out with no injuries or casualties....and that we would turn to avoid the smoke and that he'd be back in a few minutes with another update...this happened about 5 times! Which put me at ease.

We headed to blue planet with baby in tow. I got another (much needed) drink. Sat on the end of an aisle. DH and I communicated that I would leave if he got fussy and if I wasnt back after 10 minutes to come find us outside the theater! DS got antsy before the show. I ended up standing with him. He did enjoy watching for about 10 minutes. We got to the part with the tree (i saw lots of pictures on google of that tree when i googled blue planet). Then he had enough and we walked out. It's not really fair for me to give my opinion on the show since i only saw 15 minutes but I dont know that I would want to go again. Chicago and oceanaria were more for me. Shrek was in the lobby so DS and I got in line for a picture. DH came out 10 minutes later and kissed DS saying thank you for such a good excuse TO LEAVE!! He was not a fan. The rest of the family stayed for the whole show. Mom enjoyed it. Brother and dad both said it was alright...

Untitled-8.jpg

IMG_7665.jpg

I wanted a mudslide (i was hooked and wish i discovered them earlier in the trip) so we went to the trelis bar on deck 8. And DH got a coke. This bar was where I went the whole trip from our cabin if we needed a drink. It was just 3 decks down and I could always take the stairs. We saw the firemen coming to change back to their regular uniforms. DH and DS waved and thanked them. I wished I had a picture of them!! So thankful!

We went back to the cabin to go to bed. Of course all night I was asking DH if he was hearing/feeling things.

IMG_7662.jpg

(at some point in the madness this night I took this picture- i think i remember telling DH that now we could get a chair at the beach pool if we wanted)

We were on the same ship and tour!! We were sitting to the right of this picture and watched your adorable son playing in the water. My step daughter actually put one of his toys in his bucket when it floated away. Awesome review!

Aw thanks for saying HI! And thanks to your step daugter for getting the toy for us! What did you think of Le Galion? Trunk Bay has always been my favorite beach but this may be my new favorite!!! It was so quiet!!! Hard to believe Allure is headed back to Eastern Caribbean today!! Wish we were there!!!

HI- I loved your review. WE are debating to cruise with our 8 month old daughter. We cruised on the oasis over a year ago and loved it. shes 8 months and we are not sure how it will work but we really want and need a vacation. LOL How did you bath him, and did you eat at specialty restaurants, etc. shes very scheduled so we are still alittle nervous. What cabin did you book.

Aw thanks for saying HI! And thanks to your step daugter for getting the toy for us! What did you think of Le Galion? Trunk Bay has always been my favorite beach but this may be my new favorite!!! It was so quiet!!! Hard to believe Allure is headed back to Eastern Caribbean today!! Wish we were there!!!

This was our second tour with Bernard but first with the kids (2 boys 18 & 15 and 1 girl 12). When we explained about the possible nudity/topless woman at Orient Beach she said she would feel uncomfortable so we decided to take her to La Galion and the boys went to Orient with the rest of the tour. It was a much quieter, relaxing beach. Great for kids. I wish we were there again also but have you seen the awful weather they are having on the Port Everglades web cam????? Terrible day to be leaving but hopefully beautiful weather is in store for them!!

the next morning we woke up to us approaching nassau to join the carnival fantasy! Fantasy leaves from our hometown so it was fun to join her there!! Also, carnival fantasy was my second cruise ever back in the 90s! Dad actually joke prior to the cruise wondering why he had to drive to ft. lauderdale...couldnt he just get on the fantasy to nassau and then join us there!!

So we got off the ship fairly quickly. Searched for our Atlantis Beach day group at the pier. They gave us wrist bands. Then we were taken to a bus to transfer us. I will say for moms out there that i did simply just hold the baby (well and said lots of prayers for safety). The weather was windy and chilly but it warmed up as the morning went on!

P4160014.jpg

A little rant about our atlantis excursion. we got there around 9 am. Beaches open at 10....for close to an hour we walked in a LINE with a guide all over the place and most were miserable....we thought we had picked an on your own style excursion. It was very frustrating since my parents had stayed at Atlantis before and my DH and I had been there in the past 2 years...we knew what we wanted to do...but we were stuck!!

At atlantis I always like to stay dry and go to the aquarium and see all the amazing fish...then hit the sandy beach/salty water...the beach was too rough for the baby so mom and my brother stayed on the beach and my dh, baby and i went over to the lagoon. (i forgot to mention. my dad stayed on the ship to relax).

P4160033.jpg

P4160072.jpg

P4160094.jpg

Around 11:30 I changed clothes and changed the babys clothes and we went to the bar for a pina colada...baby slept and my mom and brother were going to meet us there before leaving.

P4160130.jpg

P4160132.jpg

We decided we had done enough (gotten our moneys worth? probably not!) and to go back to the ship on one of the first busses to get lunch on the ship!

we got back on and had lunch at the boardwalk doghouse (i had the coney island dog and added the cole slaw on it- yum!) and then we watched sail away....at this point we were all a little cranky (we were all hungry because we didnt eat breakfast and waited late for lunch and the baby was over tired). so my advice if you have early excursions is wake up even earlier or get room service!

next up: pictures...monday evening and formal night and chicago.

Thank You for the wonderful review. I am sailing the Allure in Sept and was considering visiting Atlantis as well. You stated that you felt it was not worth the cost. Did you feel that way because of the amt of time at Atlantis spent? Could one do a Atlantis visit cheaper than what the ship offers?

Love your story about the Bravo call! I would be the same way:p:o

When my oldest was about 6 months I left her in the nursery at a ski resort in Maine ( after obsessively checking all the child care rules required for such nurseries and meeting the " grandmother" in charge of the infant room, no more than 4!) To reach the nursery from the mountain, I had to go up a certain lift and ski down a little bit. I went a few times to check and feed her and at one point during the daytime lift broke down. I couldn't get to the place where the nursery was till they fixed it and like you I freaked out!:eek: I was hyperventilating in the line till they fixed the lift ( maybe 15-20 minutes) and I went and got the baby immediately and played with her in the lodge till everyone was ready to go home!

Luckily, she's 17 now, beautiful and completely unscathed, I however may never recover:p:D;)

HI- I loved your review. WE are debating to cruise with our 8 month old daughter. We cruised on the oasis over a year ago and loved it. shes 8 months and we are not sure how it will work but we really want and need a vacation. LOL How did you bath him, and did you eat at specialty restaurants, etc. shes very scheduled so we are still alittle nervous. What cabin did you book.

you would be in even better shape than us because you have been on the sister ship. you probably wouldnt feel as pressed to do everything as we were and you could do more of the things that cater to the children! Our son even at 8 months LOVED the characters...the how to train your dragon ice show (even if he only watched 10 min- he was glued), the let me entertain you show, character breakfast!

Lots of people recommended taking the ducky tub to bathe them but at home we have always poured the water right in his face and he loves showers so i just sat him on the floor and pulled the shower thingy down too. It was easy!

We booked 11666 it is across from the walkway to the lobby/elevator area. It was a little noisey but nothing that kept anyone from resting. It was great to not have to stroll long distances past all the other rooms!

We did do specialty dining. Dining was the one area that we needed improvement. I know it's easier said than done because I love dressing up and trying all the different options but we said next time we cruised with children we would enjoy the pool later in the afternoon and not worry about having a dinner time for us...and just wing it! Johnny Rockets, Ritas, windjammer, park cafe...it really would eliminate the only stress I had the whole trip!

I took plastic spoons for our excursions and such and then whenever i fed him at a dining area on the ship i just asked for a small spoon!

It was so much fun but you have to remind yourself that cruising with a baby isn't going to be the same as just you and your hubby! I'd be happy to help with anymore questions because I was in your shoes up until a few weeks ago!

Love your story about the Bravo call! I would be the same way:p:o

When my oldest was about 6 months I left her in the nursery at a ski resort in Maine ( after obsessively checking all the child care rules required for such nurseries and meeting the " grandmother" in charge of the infant room, no more than 4!) To reach the nursery from the mountain, I had to go up a certain lift and ski down a little bit. I went a few times to check and feed her and at one point during the daytime lift broke down. I couldn't get to the place where the nursery was till they fixed it and like you I freaked out!:eek: I was hyperventilating in the line till they fixed the lift ( maybe 15-20 minutes) and I went and got the baby immediately and played with her in the lodge till everyone was ready to go home!

Luckily, she's 17 now, beautiful and completely unscathed, I however may never recover:p:D;)

OMG that is horrible!! I dont think I will recover either!! And glad that he wont remember it!!!

Did you wish you could stay on Maho longer?

- not really. an hr and a half was perfect!

Did you find the planes landing 'cheesy' too

-no! i found it exciting! but not something id have to do the next time im there again!

Did you enjoy touring with Bernard Tours?

- yes! I will use them every time I go to st. maarten and just switch up beaches. For me the biggest reason we booked a tour was because I didnt want to just grab a taxi at the pier. I felt safe and relaxed!! It was the highlight of our trip (out of everything...even being on the allure itself)!!

hope this helps!

Thank You for the wonderful review. I am sailing the Allure in Sept and was considering visiting Atlantis as well. You stated that you felt it was not worth the cost. Did you feel that way because of the amt of time at Atlantis spent? Could one do a Atlantis visit cheaper than what the ship offers?

I think it would have been worth it if it were a better beach day. it was still a little cool and the ocean was rough the day we were there. If you have never been to atlantis, you should definately go! There are lots of other ways to go to atlantis. Day pass at the atlantis through atlantis and through the comfort suites( i think). I dont know how much cheaper it really ends up being though. We could have stayed 2 hr longer than we did but because of the baby and the weather we chose to go back to the ship where we could eat for free vs. staying there and paying for a lunch! Hope that helps! If we didnt go to atlantis we would have stayed on the ship!

This was our second tour with Bernard but first with the kids (2 boys 18 & 15 and 1 girl 12). When we explained about the possible nudity/topless woman at Orient Beach she said she would feel uncomfortable so we decided to take her to La Galion and the boys went to Orient with the rest of the tour. It was a much quieter, relaxing beach. Great for kids. I wish we were there again also but have you seen the awful weather they are having on the Port Everglades web cam????? Terrible day to be leaving but hopefully beautiful weather is in store for them!!

oh no! i didnt see. sunday was the first time i didnt watch the web cam since we booked!! We were having a beautiful day here so we took DS to the beach here. The whole time I was wishing i could make our ocean as clear as theres!!! I hope their weather gets better as the week goes on!! Ive been on a cruise in bad weather and it does take a lot of the fun out of it!:(

Archived