Sydney help

We were in Syndey after Canadian Thanksgiving, so Louisburg's regular scheduled interpreters weren't there. We finally decided to take the ship's tour, rather than renting a car. We had wanted to stay longer than the tour provided, but the tour was just the easiest way to do it.

The tour company arranged walking tours and for us to meet three character interpreters, a soldier, a kitchen demo (followed by a cup of "drinking chocolate), and a lady in one of the houses. Because of the late date, it wasn't as good as the full slate of characters in the summer, and not everything was open. But it was a good tour and used the time well. There were a few people walking around on their own, but they didn't get the programs we had, so we were glad we took the ship's tour instead of going on our own.

This is an excellent route that I intend to follow in a couple of weeks. However, I will be using a GPS device loaded with Canadian maps. Any suggestions on how to program in these navigation points? Do "city centers" work or are there landmark addresses I should use?

Thanks!

That is a good question (which means I don't know the answer!). You will see that the Sydney address is the Marine Terminal (postal code B1P 1A1). That should work.

Baddeck is very small so any address should work. The Highway is #105.

The Bell Museum is here, a bit away from the centre of town: http://www.pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/ns/grahambell/visit/visit2.aspx

For Iona put in the Highland Museum: 4119 Highway 223

Iona, NS,B2C 1A3

Christmas Island is a couple houses along the main road. It is on highway 223 where #216 comes in.

That is a good question (which means I don't know the answer!). You will see that the Sydney address is the Marine Terminal (postal code B1P 1A1). That should work.

Baddeck is very small so any address should work. The Highway is #105.

The Bell Museum is here, a bit away from the centre of town: http://www.pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/ns/grahambell/visit/visit2.aspx

For Iona put in the Highland Museum: 4119 Highway 223

Iona, NS,B2C 1A3

Christmas Island is a couple houses along the main road. It is on highway 223 where #216 comes in.

Thanks. I'll try what you've suggested.

• 2 weeks later...
This is an excellent route that I intend to follow in a couple of weeks. However, I will be using a GPS device loaded with Canadian maps. Any suggestions on how to program in these navigation points? Do "city centers" work or are there landmark addresses I should use?

Thanks!

Seems odd to reply to my own post, but I found a solution that others might find helpful.

If you go to the Google Maps route linked above, you can click on each of the destination points (e.g., marked A on the map). If you right click on the marker point on the map, an "Address" bubble will appear and give you the following options: Search Nearby, Save to Map, or More. If you click on More, one of the options is Send. If you have a compatible GPS device attached to your computer either by the USB cable or by Bluetooth, you can actually send the point to your GPS and name it whatever you want. In my case, I named it Sydney Point A, Sydney Point B, etc.

Hope this helps others.

Archived