What has happened to the Disney company

BaronVonIggy

Good Day War Eagle.

Now a question for you Sir..........so far' date='all you and the other Disney detractors have done it put down DCL prices, which I have said is not always true, you have not said anything that shows CCL , RCl, princess, NCL etc.....shown anything as to why you feel they are better then DCL?

AKK[/quote']

Good Day and thanks for a rational detailed reply.

I'm not really a Disney detractor. I just get aggravated when a new poster on the board post a legitimate concern and the local board fanatics start acting like they are stupid for ever posting such a silly question (I'm not saying that was you FYI). There is certainly no reason to call someone lower class because they cruise on a different ship.

There are things I believe Disney does better than the other lines I have been on and there are things I believe could be improved. I feel this way with all the cruise lines I have been lucky enough to sail on.

I'm going to post a more detailed informative opinion on my recent Disney experience to the boards sometime this week. I still need to go through my pics. I'll also compare to some of the other lines you mentioned. Basically my opinion is RCL is just as good and Celebrity is better. CCL is less of a ship but can be more bang for your buck if you are more concerned with location.

I'll end with a Disney positive so you guys don't think I hate all things DCL... I thought the food in the dining rooms was the best I have had and the waiters recommendations were spot on every single night.

Well most of you keep saying supply and demand, and YES that what makes the US work and builds the bottom line.

Some of you say MLB NHL and NASCAR are just as much, lets take a look at why.

At one Disney owned a NHL team and a MLB team so did they help run the prices on these sports up did they over pay players? We may never know so please use cruise line to compare to DCL.

Carnival Corp with its 10 lines have a 49.2% share of the market.

RCL with its 5 lines have 23.8% share of the market.

Next is NCL with 7.1% share.

Then there is MSC with 5.8% (They are the oldest shipping company in the world)

Now we get to DCL with a 2.9% share, they do only have 4 ships so would you think they would be building more to get a bigger share of the $33.5B market.

Coming in at 20th place is Regent Seven Seas with 0.3% market share. I feel they are the best they are not for everyone at an average price per person of $5200.00.

20.3 million people will take cruise in 2012 on 256 ships, a 5.6% increase over 2011. Now someone said that on other lines people go to get drunk and act like a collage spring breaker and the run into and over children.

So DCL has 4 ships 8510 beds, if each ship goes out each week its a little more then 440000 people that cruise DCL. So on the other lines there 19860000 drunk rude people DCL should raise there price, there may still be some elitist jerks out there that don't now about them.

I just wanted to know what happened to Disney, but some of you started stoning the other lines. When DCL started they where only 5 to 10% more because they give you a Disney show with every step you take on board. But that doesn't mean the other lines lack in what they give you. Or the people that go on them are not as cool as a Disney cruiser. If I would have asked this before we went, I don't think I would have wanted my kids around people that think like that.

Now if you sail DCL from LA or Orlando one or the other on a regular bases and you do it more then 2 or 3 times a year. Buy a annual pass for 279.00 per person yes that is a big add on but a 6 day pass is 239.00. But if you sail from one or the other 2 or 3 times and stay off site its a great thing for kids to look forward too.

Oh one more thing I don't know if they still do this. But i had a friend at one time who worked in a Disney store just to get the employe discount on the cruise.:)

Please play nice and don't hurt each other.

Now we get to DCL with a 2.9% share, they do only have 4 ships so would you think they would be building more to get a bigger share of the $33.5B market.

Personally I hope not. I like them to stay niche. And I guess that getting a bigger share in the cruiseline market is not a top priority in the parent company's strategy. Please do correct me if I'm wrong though.

DCL is better then those line and many others. They are a entertainment company putting on a cruise, the others are cruise lines trying to put on the entertainment.

That is the best statement in a nutshell.

Disney is a niche market. No one has forced anyone to cruise with them.They set their own price unlike Carnival which has to throw out 80 % discount to lure in the ruffians ;)

P.S: I enjoy baiting the Disney haters, LOL

Iphones and Ipads don't come close to the cost of a Disney cruise and they last a lot longer than 7 days. ;)

I agree to a point.

However, memories last forever, whereas the IPAD will be replaced by a newer model after a few years of being out.

Good analogy tho, both seem to have glitches that we must overcome.

For Disney you have to overcome the cost if you want to cruise on their ship.

;)

Let's make a relevant comparison. The Inspiration is an old ship and like most of the older Carnival and RCL ships it tends to attract a more party like crowd.

Here's the breakdown for the three newer ships out of Port Canaveral in June sailing to the Eastern Caribbean. I'm listing the lowest prices per Yahoo travel for inside, outside and balcony. All 7 days cruises.

Carnival Dream - 649/849/999

RCL Freedom - 819/999/1329

Disney Fantasy - 1750/2009/1547

4 night Disney Dream - NA/1180/1612

The Disney balcony price actually looks better than I would have expected but it says its with restrictions. I'm not really sure what that is and the next price point is $2205. Paying almost three times Carnival rates for an inside magic porthole is CRAZY!

If I'm cruising in June out of Port Canaveral I'm probably going with RCL here. Though I may even get suckered into another Carnival cruise at less than $1,000 for a balcony during the summer.

I also can understand someone choosing the Balcony on the Disney Fantasy. $1,500 is a little easier pill to swallow for a seven nighter.

The Disney balcony price actually looks better than I would have expected but it says its with restrictions. I'm not really sure what that is and the next price point is $2205. Paying almost three times Carnival rates for an inside magic porthole is CRAZY!

It is special VGT pricing for the 6/2, 6/16 and 6/23 Fantasy sailing. For me personally if I HAVE to cruise out of Port Canaveral in June, and it is only at this moment that I decide to cruise (instead of checking things out 12+ months in advance as I know DCL price trend, in general, goes up ... maybe with very few exception), I will choose Disney Fantasy VGT price. Based on previous cabin assignment examples, likely to get even a cat 4 cabins! But for us, I will also include the price for the 3rd and 4th passenger and compare them.

Paying almost three times Carnival rates for an inside magic porthole is CRAZY!

If that is the price I have pay to avoid the drunks, doped and the wasted., then I will gladly pay it for the safety of my children and Family :)

It is special VGT pricing for the 6/2, 6/16 and 6/23 Fantasy sailing. For me personally if I HAVE to cruise out of Port Canaveral in June, and it is only at this moment that I decide to cruise (instead of checking things out 12+ months in advance as I know DCL price trend, in general, goes up ... maybe with very few exception), I will choose Disney Fantasy VGT price. Based on previous cabin assignment examples, likely to get even a cat 4 cabins! But for us, I will also include the price for the 3rd and 4th passenger and compare them.

But if I were just cruising with DW without kids and my objective was just to go somewhere warm on a nice ship and relax, then I have to say I will go with Freedom of the Seas inside cabin based on these prices.

Limited supply IE the other lines don't offer mouse level experience even without the characters, and their is a demand for the premium they provide.

Sadly it matters little what you think the value is, enough people value it and can afford it.

Its business and Disney like every other business out there is to make money :D

The only fool is those who part with money they can't afford to part with. IE those that sacrifice education, retirement etc. if not a little spent here and there for perks is one of the rewards of life. BTW I think Steve Jobs lived in a pretty ridiculously expensive neighborhood where if that same house was in South Dakota might only cost 150K versus the many millions it did, was he a fool?

I fill the Disney Cruise line is way over priced $6000.00 for a family of 4 inside, $7500 to $8500 with a window. We have done Disney Europefor less then this. We Love Disney very much, but we can do so much more with our money. Just add on $2000 more to buy stuff and have fun, your looking at $10000 to $11000 cruise. We could take 2, 7 day Carnivel or Royal Caribbean from Texas or Florida. Better yet lets tread the family 7 day cruise from Rome or Barcelona with 4 days on land, money better spent. Think about this as you give 65th largest compamy in the USA your money and don't forget that the Steve Jobs family is the largest stock holder in the Walt Disney Company. Don't get me wrong we can pay it but why, a fool and his money are soon parted.

Good Day War Eagle.

The baseball and Nascar example was a very up front explaination to another poster who said Disney parks were to expensive. I simple proved that the myth of Disney always being so much more then other entertainment is just that .......a myth.

Now on to DCL' date='your reasons:

1. DCL ships as leading the criuse industry in specail well designed vessle, the leader in new techno and decor. (Please dont bring up the dream pools......I did not say perfect). All the other lines are forever copying and trying to catch up.

2. Disney is not always more expensive then the other lines.....EI Princess and CCL....as has been proven here in the postings..Yes Holidays, summer season etc..they are more......but even during those times not always.IE RCL Freedom and Osias class are more then DCL, including the Dream class.

3. Carnival corporation right now has a real corporate problem with a series of major casualties, including the fires on the QM2, Carnival Splendor, and Costa Allegro, adding to that, the Costa Concordia and the Star princess passing stranded fishermen(yes that is going ti a international investigation soon to)..........they need a total review of thier onboard ship operation policy and office adminstration. The international authorities are starting that. More then the Ships Officers will be facing charges.

4. NCL ships have real issue with poor design , staffing and food service....please go read their own boards.

5. CCL is the Party boats.......drunks all around. After 2 cruises where we were woken up at 2 and 3 AM when the drunks paraded down the passageways, yelling .singing...bouncing off the bulkheads, decks and doors........never again. To be fiar though, if thats what you and they want in a cruise.....I hope they enjoy.

Proof??......go to UI tube and google,,,,,,,,scearch out the drunk riots on carnival ships.........there right there.....no videos for DCL or RCL or NCL. And no......you never saw lots of drunks on DCl. I am sure there are some...but I still get a night sleep on DCL.

6. Why is it we always find posters coming and wining that DCL is more expensive .....why DCL better?....you never see them say............CCL, RCL, NCL is as good......just cheaper

I personally think RCL puts out a good cruise! The other mentioned lines put on a different criuse..... we just prefer DCL.

7. In this ecomony......DCL with a 30% increase cabins( Fantasy), The MR crimes issues has forced the Wonder back to the East coast.....yet. still they are always sailing with a considerably higher occupancy rate then the other lines......even at the higher prices..........That Sir, seems to be your answer.....in a nut shell.

Conclusion:

DCL is better then those line and many others. They are a entertainment compnay putting on a criuse, the others are cruise lines trying to put on the entertainment. They look after the details so often missed by the other lines.......EI the ship decor and design.........free drinks.......passingers bring alcahol O/B..the world finish cast of charaters.the best loved by kids and adults alike, without question.......split baths...special designed terminal, private island with a pier,no shuttles, ME, excellent CM's (not 100% perfect but excellent, certianly much better then CCL!).....rotational dining, Industry awards.......etc.....etc.

All those items the other lines miss the point of .........bottom line its the *the Disney Magic........Pixie Dust*.......if you dont get it..fine......disney is not for everyone...but becuase you may not get it.......doesn't mean it is not there. The number of people who are willing to pay more is another proof of why DCL is better.

Now a question for you Sir..........so far,all you and the other Disney detractors have done it put down DCL prices, which I have said is not always true, you have not said anything that shows CCL , RCl, princess, NCL etc.....shown anything as to why you feel they are better then DCL?

When you think about it.....isn't that a bit strange the detracter never have anything real to talk about.......I am sure you will bluster now..........TRY and flame me......be rude like you were to Gray..but its not important........you see......I dont care......I KNOW WHY DCL is the best!

AKK[/quote']

I'm sorry but i didn't see where it was proven in this thread that DCL is cheaper sometimes. I probably missed it so could you point me in the right direction please.:)

I just did a search for a 7 day Caribbean cruise for all 2013 and the best I could come up with is $920 pp for the cheapest inside cabin from Galveston.

Not 100% sure but I think that would be more money than any other cruise lines except maybe RCI's Oasis or Allure.

I agree with one of the other posters about being fine paying a 10-20% premium for DCL.

Bill

You know' date='......that was the most INTENTIONALLY........silly.... unintelligable mix of unrelate nonsense I have read online ........totally meaningless.

AKK[/quote']

I really don't understand why you have to be a pretentious ass and so much of a jerk, but if that is how you are wire so be it.

I post some facts about the cruise industry showing DCL is a small niche, but you don't understand that. So you do what you know best and attack me. Because of that i would guess you are an older man maybe retired, who cruise without kids. You must have things your way or they must be wrong.

If that is the price I have pay to avoid the drunks, doped and the wasted., then I will gladly pay it for the safety of my children and Family :)

Have you ever cruised on Carnival? So many people here say the same thing about them. But no one list them as a past cruise, or is everyone just repeating what they read before?

Lower class of people and dregs of the society, go on a cruise to get drunk, doped, layed and wasted on a non-Disney cruise, like Carnival cruises.

Elite and well respected families go on a Disney cruise to enjoy the best entertainment provided by the best company in the world, Walt Disney Co.

I am ducking under cover to avoid the inevitable flame throwing ;)

You only list DCL for past cruises, have you been on any other lines? If you haven't how can you say the low life, sail on Carnival?

We have sailed on Carnival and we have never seen people smoking pot or so drunk they can't fined their cabin. As for people looking to get layed as you put it on a cruise that was 80 to 90% family from around the world. We spent time with families from England, Germany and Hungry.

So if you have never been please stop saying stuff that is not true.

My family has been on;

Carnival

Disney

Costa

MSC

Regent Seven Seas

Crystal

We are a family of open mind people, so we try as many lines as we can.

About fifteen years ago, DH, myself, and our son who was 12 at the time, took a weekend cruise on Carnival out of Miami. There was one entire deck of the ship devoted to bars. In the middle of the night, we were awakened by drunken passengers crashing around in the hall in search of their cabins. During the afternoon at sea, someone dumped a bottle of bubble bath into the hot tub which then overflowed all over the deck, so they had to close it, drain it, clean it, etc. Passengers seated in the dining room for dinner would yell across the room to people at other tables. It was not a family friendly atmosphere. In fact, there were uniformed security guards. It was just a three night cruise. I have heard that the longer cruises don't seem to have these same problems. However, we will not cruise on Carnival again, because even though it was free it wasn't worth it. Ironically enough, we had purchased DVC and the cruise was provided free as an incentive for the purchase. This predated the DCL.

Personally I hope not. I like them to stay niche. And I guess that getting a bigger share in the cruiseline market is not a top priority in the parent company's strategy. Please do correct me if I'm wrong though.

Sorry to tell you this but they are not going to stay a small happy niche line. I have seen and been told that ship 5 will be under contract in about a year. The lines goal is 8 to 10 ships in the next 10 years.

They are moving to be one of the biggest travel companies in the world. With the opening of the resort in Hawaii, and more resorts around the world planned. The Mouse is making a move on the travel biz. The one they have that I feel is the coolest is private tours in Europe.

Travel safe.

About fifteen years ago, DH, myself, and our son who was 12 at the time, took a weekend cruise on Carnival out of Miami. There was one entire deck of the ship devoted to bars. In the middle of the night, we were awakened by drunken passengers crashing around in the hall in search of their cabins. During the afternoon at sea, someone dumped a bottle of bubble bath into the hot tub which then overflowed all over the deck, so they had to close it, drain it, clean it, etc. Passengers seated in the dining room for dinner would yell across the room to people at other tables. It was not a family friendly atmosphere. In fact, there were uniformed security guards. It was just a three night cruise. I have heard that the longer cruises don't seem to have these same problems. However, we will not cruise on Carnival again, because even though it was free it wasn't worth it. Ironically enough, we had purchased DVC and the cruise was provided free as an incentive for the purchase. This predated the DCL.

Noted 15 years ago hmm times change.

You do know the family movie Alvin & the Chipmunks (be it a small part of the movie) was shot on The Carnival Magic before it came to Texas.

Sorry to tell you this but they are not going to stay a small happy niche line. I have seen and been told that ship 5 will be under contract in about a year. The lines goal is 8 to 10 ships in the next 10 years.

They are moving to be one of the biggest travel companies in the world. With the opening of the resort in Hawaii, and more resorts around the world planned. The Mouse is making a move on the travel biz. The one they have that I feel is the coolest is private tours in Europe.

Travel safe.

Any links to support this ??

I wonder if the prices DCL charges now would still be as high if they had 23 ships to fill on a weekly basis?

Bill

I doubt they would. Just with the addition of two ships I've seen the prices come down. It's one of the reasons (along with now being parents) we finally decided to give DCL a try. We were lucky enough to find inside cabins on the Dream for under $750. Which is still a bit high for a 4 night cruise in the off season but worth a splurge to check out what they had to offer.

The drunks yelling and bouncing off the bulkheads in the passage ways happened to us on our 2 and it will be only 2 carnival criuses( 4 and 6 years ago) as well..........theres even Utube videos of the drunken riots and fights on Carnival.....

If that what some want for a cruise......fine.....enjoy..not for us!

AKK

I doubt they would. Just with the addition of two ships I've seen the prices come down.

In this ecomony......DCL with a 30% increase cabins( Fantasy), The MR crimes issues has forced the Wonder back to the East coast.....yet, still they are always sailing with a considerably higher occupancy rate then the other lines......even at the higher prices..........That Sir, seems to be your answer.....in a nut shell.

AKK

In this ecomony......DCL with a 30% increase cabins( Fantasy)' date=' The MR crimes issues has forced the Wonder back to the East coast.....yet, still they are always sailing with a considerably higher occupancy rate then the other lines......even at the higher prices..........That Sir, seems to be your answer.....in a nut shell.

AKK[/quote']

Huh! I'm not sure what question I asked. I was responding to a question.

As for "in this economy"... cruise travel actually benefits from a down economy... well unless you are priced high like DCL and need to bring rates down a bit.

http://www.eturbonews.com/15014/cruise-lines-business-good-and-getting-better

Don't believe me? Check out the stock prices. My RCL has gone from 8 - 28 "in this economy".

As for your occupancy rates - pleases provide support - I'm actually interested in those numbers but didn't see them on a quick google search and I don't feel like reading through financial statements to get them at the moment.

Archived