Iceberg!!

LibraLass41

With all the recent talk on the Titanic wondered if you would like to see this stunning photo of a iceberg and what it looks like below the sea...

ICEBERG.jpg

I'm off to Norway Fjords in 3 weeks, hope we don't see any of these!:eek:

phew Juggler thats good news lol !! Have enough trouble getting hubbie back onboard after Concordia... He can't swim lol!!

I'm on Oriana in 3 weeks, I see from your ticker Scorpio you sail the day after me - i go 18th May.

Titanic had her encounter with the iceberg at a latitude of about 42 degrees north. That's the same latitude as Civitavechia, or Vigo. So I suppose it's all about currents rather than the climate of the location you're at.

Ho ho ho! Last year I was on a ship going fairly close (500 metres) from icebergs that size..... we were going slowly (2 to 3 knots), we had one of the rescue boats out checking for the ice under the water, and we had a very experienced Norwegian Ice Pilot on board. Spectacular views, and perfectly safe.

The rescue boat's skipper took the boat to about 50m from the iceberg... at which point the iceberg dropped a large lump into the water. No danger because the boat skipper was careful... but highly entertaining :D

VP

We passed one iceberg as big as a skyscraper in 2008 between Greenland and Iceland when I was on Artemis. They are so beautiful...and so dangerous. Like VP we had an ice pilot on board until we got to Norway.

Archived