Sapphire Beach questions?

4vacations

Hi we have been to Megans Bay and wanted to try Sapphire Beach. Can anyone tell me if you can rent chairs and umbrella? If so how much do they cost? Also are there bathrooms? Any place to buy food? Also the most important question can I get a Bushwacker drink there? I know Megans Bay has them.

Thanks

From my research I have read that chair rental is $7 per day and snorkel equipment is $10 per day. They do have bathrooms and a small beach stand that sells beer, frozen drinks, and food (cheeseburgers and such) . Also beach servers have menus you can order from sapphire village grill up the hill and señor pizza too. There is a lot of info on trip advisor forum about sapphire. We are going to stay there for a week in July and have used cruise critic and trip advisor forums to research. Not sure about renting umbrellas, but there are many trees on the beach that provide shade. Check out the webcam http://www.sapphireinthesun.com for live photos updated every 20 sec

We spent a week there and loved it, ideal beach destination for a day too. Leslierx is right on with her info, and no umbrellas are sold here because there is natural shade, unlike Coki. They also rent nice floaties for the water. Great reef to the right, nice saney swimming area in the center, and sea grass to the left where you may spot rays and sea turtles.

The Banana Cabana serves a good burger and mahi sandwich and frozen drinks, not sure about the Bushwacker. We recommend stopping at Paradise Point before heading back to the ship to have the real Bailey's Bushwacker and enjoy the magnificient view. Just leave a little time for that and either take the tram up or a taxi.

Great choice as Sapphire has a beautiful sapphire water color and beautiful views of Tortola and St John. And fewer crowds than Magens. Have a great day!

I posted the menu for the Banana Cabana food and drinks on some thread for Sapphire. If you're very research oriented, you may be able to find them. I don't even remember which thread I posted them in.:confused:

Why do most of the tour operators want to take you to Megans Bay? One already told me he wont take us to Sapphire Beach if I book with him.

Just a guess, kickbacks.:( Just walk off the ship and safari taxis will take you to any beach for just 5.00-10.00 depending on distance.

Some operators could be affiliated with specific resorts like Secret Harbor but not Magens because that id not a resort. Some have a disregard for a particular resort for their own reason.

Magens is closer and the turnaround time is faster, it's one of the most publicized beaches in the world, and they're sure to get return fares from there. Sapphire they are not because there are already taxis stationed in nearby Red Hook. One (Godfrey) refused to go Sapphire because he didn't like the condition of the bathrooms. We were staying at the Sapphire at that time and could only laugh. The bathrooms ate fine, he obviously has a deal elsewhere. It's all a matter of wjer they can get the best return just like anywhere else.

Sapphire is the best spot on the island except for Coki which is also busier.

And yes, you can negotiate with drivers for shorter fares if they aren't busy.

Sapphire Beach is beautiful. Whenever we're on a ship that stops in St. Thomas (which has been every one so far) that's the first place we go. A beautiful beach that has everything you need and it's much less crowded.

blue_water is correct about the Bushwacker at Paradise Point. That's another can't miss for us. It's usually our last stop of the day before getting back on the ship. It's a great place to relax with a drink (or 2 or 3) and take in the view after a long day of vacationing :D

Have a wonderful cruise!

Sapphire Beach is beautiful. Whenever we're on a ship that stops in St. Thomas (which has been every one so far) that's the first place we go. A beautiful beach that has everything you need and it's much less crowded.

blue_water is correct about the Bushwacker at Paradise Point. That's another can't miss for us. It's usually our last stop of the day before getting back on the ship. It's a great place to relax with a drink (or 2 or 3) and take in the view after a long day of vacationing :D

Have a wonderful cruise!

Happytam I'm willing to bet my wife and I have shared taxis with you or toasted Bushwackers at some point as we think alike! And I like your Tolkien quote!

Happytam I'm willing to bet my wife and I have shared taxis with you or toasted Bushwackers at some point as we think alike! And I like your Tolkien quote!

I would not be surprised if this were true. I have met and shared laughs and drinks with so many lovely people over the years. For some reason St. Thomas has the most instances of this. Something about that island just brings out the joy in people.

How bad is the hill that you have to go down? The couple with us have had knee replacements and are not that athletic. Do I need to rethink Sapphire Beach that would be terrible I am looking forward to being there.

I believe the taxis drop off right at the resort - the hill is up to sapphire village which has some more condos and a restaurant - so if you want to go to the beach - you just go to sapphire beach resort and it is right there.

How bad is the hill that you have to go down? The couple with us have had knee replacements and are not that athletic. Do I need to rethink Sapphire Beach that would be terrible I am looking forward to being there.

As Leslie said the taxi drops you right at the Sapphire Beach Resort & Marina lobby which is right on the beach, you are on flat ground and it's a short stroll to the ocean.

Just to give you a feel for the layout, the Sapphire Village is another condo resort adjacent to the SBR&M (to the immediate south) and is up a hill behind the marina. A third condo resort, Crystal Cove, is situated to the north of the other two.you will walk out to the beach and the swimming area will be straight ahead, the reef to your left, and the sea grass area to your left.

Have a great day!

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I feel so much better that we can go there. I am sure that this beach has become more popular from this website. Can you tell me if we got to the beach at around 11:30 will there still be chairs left to rent? Also am I correct that it takes 30 minutes to get there?

Thanks

Some people have taken the $2 public safari to Sapphire, and those safaris drop you off at the top of the hill and you have to walk down. The taxis drop you off within a few feet of the beach. You can see the taxi drop off area and the walk to the beach in my slideshow. Needless to say, if you take the $2 safari back, you have to walk UP the hill to wave one down.

There should still be plenty of chairs to rent after 11:30. There's a big stack of them next to the rental shack and I've never seen them completely gone so you should be fine.

I've found that the taxi ride there takes longer than the ride back. This is only because the taxis usually make stops at other resorts to drop other people off but heading back they just head straight to the dock. It can be kind of a crazy ride, all the hills and turns keep things interesting :-) Overall it does usually take about 20-30 minutes.

What is the entrance fee to Sapphire Beach?

No fee. Just walk on in. If you're happy with putting your towel on the sand and don't order any food/drink you won't have to spend a dime (except the taxi, of course).

Any idea of taxi rate from the port to this beach??? Is it easy to get a taxi back to the port??? Where is this Paradise Point for the view and a great drink???

Thanks

We plan to head to Saphire (maybe Coki too if young adults are bored) and taxi to Paradise Point (I assume that's the same as Mountain top?) $10 pp each way to Saphire extra $5 to Coki. Is cab fare back from beach same cost to ship as to PP? Then is it another $5 per person to head down back to ship? Trying to figure transportation budget for this port. Obviously looking for the least expensive way to achieve what we'd like to do.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I feel so much better that we can go there. I am sure that this beach has become more popular from this website. Can you tell me if we got to the beach at around 11:30 will there still be chairs left to rent? Also am I correct that it takes 30 minutes to get there?

Thanks

Yes they have plenty of chairs and floaties for the ocean. Typically a 30 min ride because thetaxi stops by Coki on the way. Allow a little longer for the return due to traffic.

Any idea of taxi rate from the port to this beach??? Is it easy to get a taxi back to the port??? Where is this Paradise Point for the view and a great drink???

Thanks

$18pp roundtrip to Sapphire or Coki, taxis are easy to grab at the beach.

Paradise Point overlooks Havensight (where Carnival docks). You can take the tram (skyride) up or taxi up. Great spot to spend a couple hours admiring the view and to end your day. If you're docked at Havensight you can take the tram down and it's a 10 - 15 min walk to your ship. Also alot of shopping right in Havensight. You can purchase refundable tram tickets on the ship or just have the taxi drop you there and either taxi down or take the tram down.

The Butterfly Farm is right by the dock too and the Bird Lady has birds performing tricks on the patio - very neat for the kids! She was at PP but moved to the BF.

We plan to head to Saphire (maybe Coki too if young adults are bored) and taxi to Paradise Point (I assume that's the same as Mountain top?) $10 pp each way to Saphire extra $5 to Coki. Is cab fare back from beach same cost to ship as to PP? Then is it another $5 per person to head down back to ship? Trying to figure transportation budget for this port. Obviously looking for the least expensive way to achieve what we'd like to do.

Mountain Top is a different destination. It's a large souvenir store with great $11 babana daiquiris and views of Magens Bay. But I wouldn't recommend making it a point to go there, it just doesn't have the character the original did that burned down. Paradise Point would be more enjoyable for everyone.

Taxi to Coki = $9pp, taxi from Coki to Sapphire probably $5pp, and taxi from Sapphire to ship = $9pp.

Doing Coki early then heading to Sapphire if it gets too busy is a good choice. You can always stay at Coki if you're enjoying it. Actually we think Coki is the nicest beach, just gets crowded on big ship days.

Some people have taken the $2 public safari to Sapphire, and those safaris drop you off at the top of the hill and you have to walk down. The taxis drop you off within a few feet of the beach. You can see the taxi drop off area and the walk to the beach in my slideshow. Needless to say, if you take the $2 safari back, you have to walk UP the hill to wave one down.

But do take the taxi there and back and don't consider the $2 option. It's one taxi that makes one round of the island and it isn't that reliable when you're on budgeted time. When we stayed at Sapphire and drove into nearby Red Hook for drinks and groceries we saw people walking up the hill to the road in 98° heat, when we returned over 1 hr later they were still standing there. They may have finally saved $7pp but what an unbelievalbe way to spend your limited vacation time on an island...:rolleyes:

Archived