Dry Tortugas

OldTurtle

Has anyone here snorkeled in the Dry Tortugas off Florida Keys? Which outfitter? How is the coral? Thanks for any info. I am very experienced snorkeler for over 40 years. Probably will end up swimming from Key West to Tortugas! <grin; almost>:D

dunno how much you've looked into this but a few tidbits if not too much

Dry Tortugas is about 70 miles from Key West so a boat excursion for the day needs a fast boat, good conditions and still is an all day trip. One example leaves aroud 7AM returns at 5PM and provides about 4 hours on the island . . .

http://www.yankeefreedom.com/national-park-daytrip-itinerary.htm

some take a sea plane:

Half-Day Excursion

This trip is just under 4 hours long, providing at least 2 1/2 hours of island time at Fort Jefferson/Dry Tortugas. Travel time is approximately 40 minutes each way. Departs morning & afternoon.

for only $265/person http://keywestseaplanecharters.com/index.htm

I've been out there snorkeling a few times but because of the expense and time it takes to get there from Key West, I don't usually suggest going just to snorkel. There are better places which are closer to Key West. But if you go there's decent snorkeling around those pilings at the lower right, and you can see the good places to the lower left. Some people attempt to swim or snorkel around the entire island which is easier now because that spit of sand which went out to Bird Key, the Santuary, was washed away by Wilma.

481936412_tvVfX-S.jpg

You used to be able to walk out to Bird Key when it was not mating season...

454283511_TriJD-S.jpg

...but no more.

Pjk

My dh and I went with Sunny Days before they stopped going there on excursions. We really enjoyed learning about the fort and feel that it was the best snorkeling for seeing colorful coral. I have snorkeled on all of my cruises such as Bermuda, St T, St Kitts, St Lucia, Barbados, G.C., Cozumel etc. Would go again in a heart beat!

Archived