Kantishna Wilderness vs. Kantishna Experience

namaste859

We are going to Denali in 2013 and want to take one of the Kantishna tours. I can't decide between these two tours. One has a stop at the Roadhouse lodge, where you can also either pan for gold or get a lecture about dog sledding. The other visits Fannie Quigley's house. I like the idea of stopping at the Roadhouse for a hot meal vs. a cold lunch on the bus, but I'm torn.

Has anyone taken one of these and can you tell me your experience? Please do not recommend that I take the park bus tour. I have a bad back and the thought of spending 13 hours on a school bus is not my idea of a good time.

We are going to Denali in 2013 and want to take one of the Kantishna tours. I can't decide between these two tours. One has a stop at the Roadhouse lodge, where you can also either pan for gold or get a lecture about dog sledding. The other visits Fannie Quigley's house. I like the idea of stopping at the Roadhouse for a hot meal vs. a cold lunch on the bus, but I'm torn.

Has anyone taken one of these and can you tell me your experience? Please do not recommend that I take the park bus tour. I have a bad back and the thought of spending 13 hours on a school bus is not my idea of a good time.

No matter which tour you take, you will spend 13 hours basically on school bus. IF you think you will have large tour bus vehicle with plush seats and bathrooms, etc, you are mistaken. They are not allowed in the park. I wish I could find the pictures someone posted of the "tour" buses. There are two types of school buses-one "tour", one shuttle. I have been on both and other than the wildlife viewing camera, I sure don't remember a significant difference.

Same type of bench seats, although I think I remember someone mentioning they had put in a "bucket seat" type seat on the "tour buses". I could be wrong.

To answer your other question, take the tour to the Roadhouse and eat the hot food. It IS good food. And an interesting setting. The rocking chairs on the front porch are a nice touch. The dog sled demonstration is rather hokey (and very, very short) but so is panning for gold.

If you REALLY want to go to Kantishna, probably one of the most spectacular thing to do is bus in and FLY OUT. Sure it costs extra, but the trip OUT of Kantishna DIRECTLY into the North Face of Denali is one of the most thrilling flight seeing rides I have been on in all of Alaska. It looks like you are going to crash straight into the mountain-it is an optical illusion because the mountain is soooo large. You are a mile away. Saves your back and butt 6+ hours on the bus and you really won't regret it.

Take a look here: http://www.katair.com/tours-of-alaska.html

This link is from the Denali web site:

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/which-bus-to-choose.htm

The Denali web site has been revised and is a little easier to navigate. I recommend going to the PARK NEWSPAPER near the bottom of the index and looking at the Alpenglow. Good info with maps, info on trails, ranger programs,etc

http://www.nps.gov/dena/siteindex.htm

As already noted, you are making the wrong assumptions on the bus. It is the same for the shuttle and tour buses, now. Basic slightly padded vinyl bucket seats.

The day trips for Kantishna- are essentially an overcharged lunch, you have no time for the activities, available to overnight guests. Why not look into that as well.

Greatam, actually offers you the best option with your claim of not tolerating "school bus" seats, and flying out.

Budget Queen: Thank you for your comments. I thought I read somewhere that the buses were equipped better, but maybe that was the Wilderness tour, which is included in my cruisetour. Maybe, we will just take the park tour instead. I do like the idea of getting on and off whenever we want.

Greatam: thank you for that idea, I will check into that too. So, you think that riding back is not that big of a deal? Isn't your chances of seeing wildlife going to double or are they gone by that time of the day?

Since our visit to Denali and the chance of seeing wildlife is the big reason I want to visit Alaska, I want to make sure that I do this right.

Budget Queen: Thank you for your comments. I thought I read somewhere that the buses were equipped better, but maybe that was the Wilderness tour, which is included in my cruisetour. Maybe, we will just take the park tour instead. I do like the idea of getting on and off whenever we want.

ALL the buses are basically the same with the exception of the "tour" buses having a video camera and drivers MUST narrate. The shuttle bus drivers DO NOT have to give you a running narration but most do.

If you are on a cruise tour, do you even have time to go to Kantishna???

Greatam: thank you for that idea, I will check into that too. So, you think that riding back is not that big of a deal? Isn't your chances of seeing wildlife going to double or are they gone by that time of the day?

Has nothing to do with time of day. The animals are not gone and early evening/dusk is one of the better times to see animals any place. Dawn/dusk are when 90% of animals are feeding other than night feeders like lions, tigers, cheetahs, etc and there aren't any of those in Denali.

You didn't want to spend 13 hours on a school bus so I offered you an alternative and the flight OUT of Kantishna is truly special and spectacular.

Since our visit to Denali and the chance of seeing wildlife is the big reason I want to visit Alaska, I want to make sure that I do this right.

Then why bother with the cruisetour (which is not going to give you a lot of time for wildlife viewing or to see anything out of the ordinary)

If your main reason to go to Alaska is the wildlife, I personally would ditch the cruise tour, spend a couple of days in Denali, a couple of days in Homer for bear viewing, birds and sea otters and take the 9 hour Kenai Fjords trip out of Seward for whales, birds and seals.

And make sure you get a stop at the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center-easiest place I know of to see muskox, an elk that thinks he is a dog, moose and bears very close.

Yes, you do increase your chances at wildlife the more transits you do. But, your comments were about the discomfort on a bus??

It also is NOT a tour bus where you get on or off, it's the shuttle buses. Which is the Wonder Lake, or Eielson choice. Frankly, if you were thinking of Kantishna, and now are changing your mind on the bus choice, then consider Wonder Lake, instead of Kantishan. Bring your own food and drink, for 1/3 the cost.

As mentioned, be certain you have the time with a cruisetour. Without your own transportation, the pick up is NOT at your lodge like the "TWT" bus is, and WILL require you to get back and forth over a mile away. You would need two nights at Denali.

Thank you all. We have one whole day in Denali on our cruisetour and do not leave until the next day. Therefore, we have ample time to do as we wish.

So, all of the buses are the same, no matter which tour I take? The only difference is the video camera? That is not important to me, as we both have very good binoculars and I have a camera with a great digital zoom. I hate to spend more money for the same thing. That doesn't make much sense. Why do people go on the more expensive tours, if they are no different?

Yes, seeing the park and the wildlife is what we want to see in Denali. We don't really care about the dogs or panning for gold or even the cabin. I just want to see ALL of the park.

Thank you all. We have one whole day in Denali on our cruisetour and do not leave until the next day. Therefore, we have ample time to do as we wish.

So, all of the buses are the same, no matter which tour I take? The only difference is the video camera? That is not important to me, as we both have very good binoculars and I have a camera with a great digital zoom. I hate to spend more money for the same thing. That doesn't make much sense. Why do people go on the more expensive tours, if they are no different?

Yes, seeing the park and the wildlife is what we want to see in Denali. We don't really care about the dogs or panning for gold or even the cabin. I just want to see ALL of the park.

The reason people go on the "tour" buses, because like you were, they don't know about any differences. Do you have any included TOUR? (you keep refererring to "tour", which is very different from the shuttle buses, which Eielson and Wonder Lake are, check out the details, http://www.nps.gov/dena

Problem is, if you are going with HAL, then they do NOT refund. You can possibly exchange your tickets yourself by going to the Access Center/Mercantile.

• 6 months later...

Okay, I think I can help. I am a Bus Driver in Denali National Park. People often don't understand their options or choices even after they have taken a bus into the park as I can clearly see from some or most of these posts.

I will try to make this as simple as I can. You have lots of choices.

There are shuttles (Green Bus Provided by the concessioner contracted by National Park Service. Then you have the tours also provided by the concessioner (tan buses). There are two lodges in Kantishna who also give tours, (Denali Backcountry Lodge and Kantishna Roadhouse.

Shuttles are school bus type buses and some are better than others. Shuttles go to different mile posts into the park with rest and photo stops. On a shuttle you are free to get off the bus and spend some time hiking if you want to just spend more time at one rest stop or another. You can then flag down another green shuttle with space available and continue on or go back to the park entrance,,

You can take a tour (better bus more expensive) On a tour provided by the concessioner you will get narriation provided by a certified interpretive guide, and either a snack or box lunch or bag lunch on the Kantishna Experience.

There is one road into Denali and the same road out. 92 miles in and 92 miles out on the same road. We are all on the same road.

Toklat Shuttle goes to the Toklat rest stop at mile 53.

The Eielson Shuttle goes to Eielson Visitor Center at mile 66.

The Wonder Lake Shuttle goes to Wonder Lake about mile 80.

The Kantishna Shuttle goes to the turn around at the end of the road in Kantishna at mile 92.

The Denali Natural History Tour goes to mile 17 with interpretive programs and stops along the way.

The Tundra Wilderness Tour goes to mile 62 with rest stops and a box lunch. (This is a simple snack type lunch and water)

The Kantishna Experience goes all the way to the end mile 92. At the Wonder Lake Ranger Station a National Park Service Ranger will join the tour and take over the narriation for two hours or a little more You get juice, water, turkey or veggie wrap, fruit, trail mix, cookies, and a granola bar, Most people feel it is the right amount of food for the day.

There are also camper shuttles into the park.

On a Shuttle you may get narration from the driver but you may not. Shuttle drivers are not required to provide narration but many of them do.

As far as the lodge buses go (Kantishna Roadhouse, and Backcountry Lodge I can not speak for those because I have not been on one of them. I do know we are all on the same road. They also have a lot of turnover with their drivers.

I know it looks like a lot of choices but I had to write this because I hate to read these posts by people who are trying to give advise but frankly don't in many cases don't know what they are talking about.

As far as the Lodge buses go, you are going to be on one of those as long as on a Park (concessioner) bus because we are all basically going to the same place if you want to go to Kantishna. I hope this helps and doesn't confuse you more. The concessioner is in the process of replacing many of the park road buses and on a tour you may get a plush bus or a basic one. Most of the time a more rugged bus is going to Kantishna. It is after all 92 miles on mostly dirt road.

Loving this thread!! So if you were a bus driver in Denali, which bus/tour which you suggest someone take if they have never been to Denali and don't think they will be back and have at least one day in Denali? Up for any length of ride. Just want to make the most of what feels like an amazing opportunity.

Imadriver--Thank you, I loved your post. You should save it to a file and post it each time you see a thread about the various tours into Denali.

Someone asked why do people take tours into the park rather than shuttles? I took the Tundra Wilderness tour and knew what I was getting when I booked it. The bus we had looked like a school bus--but, was different inside. I am a former teacher and have been on MANY school buses.

These seats were bucket seats with some padding/ tall seat backs and foot rests. They were exactly like a local tour bus I took in San Francisco last summer. They are not as padded or comfy as a motor coach. But, the 8.5 hours we were on the bus went by quickly. I LOVED the drivers zoom video feed. I was able to see animals much better than my own binos. [i admit I am not very adept at using them].

The driver gave a very detailed narrative of the park. [it was almost too much at a few points]

I would not take the NHT and the next time we go I will take a shuttle to Eilson Visitor Center. That is because I do not need to hear the narrative twice. But, I will miss that zoom camera!.

Also, the lunch/snack was more than I usually eat ofr lunch. [Reindeer sausage, cheese, roll, trail mix, orange, water] DH and I bought one lunch at our hotel to take along to supplement the meal--just in case.:eek:

Archived