Notes from QM2 at sea

Keuka Lake Sailor

The pub lunches are unchanged, there are specials offered in addition. This is current as of today.

Thanks capnpugwash. Glad to hear that. I do love Golden Lion fish and chips, but on one voyage is was on offer for lunch in the MDR - and it was even better. Nice weather in the forecast for your arrival in Red Hook. -S.

A year, I dont think I could ever go that long in between voyages, 3 Months and I am ready to get back on for a week or two.:)

We feel the same...but since DH still is a working man, we usually have to spread them out. :(

We just got back from a TA/British Isles cruise on the Grand Princess. We are in the process of booking the QM2 from Southhampton in October! We booked a round trip to London for this last TA, so we will use the other half of the ticket to fly to LHR!! Whoo hoooo! Can't wait! :D

Thanks capnpugwash. Glad to hear that. I do love Golden Lion fish and chips, but on one voyage is was on offer for lunch in the MDR - and it was even better. Nice weather in the forecast for your arrival in Red Hook. -S.

Funny, you are second or third person I heard make reference to "Red Hook". I know that is what the area is called, but it's Brooklyn! Fuggetaboudit!

Just completed the Westbound T/A, our Wine waiter steered us toward the House Syrah, priced right now at 20 dollars, he suggested it might be dropping off their selection. I thought it was perfectly quaffable.

Funny, you are second or third person I heard make reference to "Red Hook". I know that is what the area is called, but it's Brooklyn! Fuggetaboudit!

Yes, thanks, I know Red Hook is in Brooklyn. My father and his father and his father were quite familiar with Red Hook. They passed down to me many wonderful stories about the history of Red Hook. If you have the opportunity of docking there, you might want to visit the Brooklyn Historical Society Museum. It's only a ten minute cab ride from the pier, and there are other interesting sites in the area.

http://www.brooklynhistory.org/default/index.html

bhs_v1973.5.8751.jpg

Dry Dock 1, 1928, v1973.5.875; Photography Collection; Brooklyn Historical Society.

We feel the same...but since DH still is a working man, we usually have to spread them out. :(

We just got back from a TA/British Isles cruise on the Grand Princess. We are in the process of booking the QM2 from Southhampton in October! We booked a round trip to London for this last TA, so we will use the other half of the ticket to fly to LHR!! Whoo hoooo! Can't wait! :D

Thinking about the Grand princess, I have heard good things and looking forward to a cruise on her.

I am lucky I dont have to work so hard now lol,:)

I only saw them once at the church service, but the Bushes seemed not to mind any attention they were getting and also were not trying to get attention either. . There were several shots of them on the "Your Voyage DVD" offered near the end of the voyage to include several shots of Mrs. Bush in the kennels with other passengers playing with the dogs donned in life jackets. Mrs. Bush was seen shopping and playing bingo (secret service agent with her playing also) and one passenger told me that when she hesitated to get on an elevator with Mrs. Bush, Mrs. Bush told her to come on in. They also saw shows in the Royal Court theater. The QM2 is filled with pictures of celebrities to include politicians who have sailed on the original Queen Mary -part of the allure of Cunard - the rich and famous travel on Cunard ships --and my guess is a collection of photos will someday be displayed about celebrities sailing on the QM2. I just hope the Bushes had as grand a time as I did..

Yes, thanks, I know Red Hook is in Brooklyn. My father and his father and his father were quite familiar with Red Hook. They passed down to me many wonderful stories about the history of Red Hook. If you have the opportunity of docking there, you might want to visit the Brooklyn Historical Society Museum. It's only a ten minute cab ride from the pier, and there are other interesting sites in the area.

bhs_v1973.5.8751.jpg

Dry Dock 1, 1928, v1973.5.875; Photography Collection; Brooklyn Historical Society.

Thank you Salacia for this Link to the Brooklyn Historical society.

Very Interesting . RedHook has a very rich & historic history of a port going back many centuries. I can see your very proud of your father, grandfather & great grandfather.. WOW

bhs_v1973.5.8751.jpg

Very interesting link and that photograph of the dry dock is great. I can't quite orientate myself with the photo. Is the dry dock still there?

J

Very interesting link and that photograph of the dry dock is great. I can't quite orientate myself with the photo. Is the dry dock still there?

J

Unfortunately, no, I don't think the Red Hook Dry Dock exists anymore - an Ikea store was built on that site about 6 years ago. Pictures of its last days in 2006 can be found here http://www.brownstoner.com/blog/2006/06/dry-dock/

Eheu! Sic transit gloria mundi.

:(

J

I barely passed my Latin classes. But who ever decided it was a good idea to turn the Dry Dock in Red Hook into a parking lot was- salty language used to express my feelings on that decision are self-edited. And now NY has decided that dry docks are needed, at a cost far more then it would have been to fix the dry dock in Redhook - before it was turned into a bloody parking lot.

Just to mention that there is a ferry that goes from Ikea to lower Manhattan, should anyone docking in Redhook be interested in another mode of transport from the pier to Manhattan.

J

HI! That dry dock was south of 3rd ave and west of Ikea. There are complex water ways in there. The old warehouses are now apartments, fairways (food center) and art festival area. at one point the in the past,

the Caronia (green hull) was laid up there..s/s Atlantic (American Export)

Santa Rosa (Grace Line) also numerous freighters. There is still one there,

has a green funnel with a cougar on it. There piers went all the way down to Brooklyn hts and past the Brooklyn Bridge to the Brooklyn Navy yard

Archived