Capri's: Are They For Short Girls?

Teacher_91

Hey Ladies!

I've been reading Cruise Critic for a few months now. This board is one of my 'go to' sections. I've learned so much and picked up quite a few tips from many of you on a variety of topics! :) So, thank you! While I'm still trying to figure out if I'm an Ice, Air, Earth, or Fire, I have been evaluating my clothing choices in a new light. At 5'2 or 3 and slightly overweight (I'm working on that!) I'm rethinking capri pants :eek: which has been a wardrobe 'staple' of mine for YEARS. I'm thinking the capri pants 'chop me off' and make me 'shorter and stubbier' then I already am. However if I wear a pair of dark washed jeans, with a wedge or platform sandal then I appear 'longer and leaner'. I also seem to get the same effect from an above knee skirt or dress.

Thoughts anyone???

I'm 5'3 and "short and stubby"... I have yet to find a pair of capris that hit me in the right spot. What I do instead is a bermuda short to the knee. Similar look and feel but a much more flattering length.

I also can't wear tea length skirts/dresses. It is the same concept... :)

For me it has to be at/above the knee or to the floor.

I'm 5'4" and overweight. I like a slim fit ankle length pant for work (Talbots has some very cute options) but wide leg and mid-calf is a very bad look on me. What I'll wear instead depends on my activity and the weather/temps - I like maxi dresses, knee length sundresses, shorts that are about 2 inches above the knee (knee length shorts don't tend to look good on me) or possibly a skort.

I am 5'3/4 and lost a lot of weight (Went from 180 to 123 today!). I have never been able to find capris that look decent but it is hard when its hot out and your knees have to be covered for churches (we will be in Europe).

I think if one HAD to wear capris, you would be best with a pair that do not flair out at the bottom, just a nice clean straight line.

What I plan on doing for "capris" is buying skinny jeans and rolling them up a couple times so it is a "skinny capri" or pedal pusher style if I get hot in Rome.

I also like to wear a lot of wedges to give me some height. And like a PP I bought a maxi dress too.

Oh and I think the darker the wash the better (or stick with a nice khaki)... aka don't wear teal flare capris if you are short! (I made this mistake before and look horrible in the pictures!)

I'm 5'3 and "short and stubby"... I have yet to find a pair of capris that hit me in the right spot. What I do instead is a bermuda short to the knee. Similar look and feel but a much more flattering length.

Me too. I'm 5'2" and I like Gloria Vanderbilt shorts-- not the kind with the flare, but straight down, about 10-12 inches, to the knee or slightly below.

I am 5'10" 170 and mostly leg. LOL

I think I look horrid in capris.

Can't say I find them attractive at all. And it could be that is because for years I couldn't find any pants or jeans that fit me (until Longs became more popular in pant sizing)

I am 5'3/4 and lost a lot of weight (Went from 180 to 123 today!). I have never been able to find capris that look decent but it is hard when its hot out and your knees have to be covered for churches (we will be in Europe).

I think if one HAD to wear capris, you would be best with a pair that do not flair out at the bottom, just a nice clean straight line.

What I plan on doing for "capris" is buying skinny jeans and rolling them up a couple times so it is a "skinny capri" or pedal pusher style if I get hot in Rome.

I also like to wear a lot of wedges to give me some height. And like a PP I bought a maxi dress too.

Oh and I think the darker the wash the better (or stick with a nice khaki)... aka don't wear teal flare capris if you are short! (I made this mistake before and look horrible in the pictures!)

I just want to say congratulations on the weight loss:)

I am 5'10" 170 and mostly leg. LOL

I think I look horrid in capris.

Can't say I find them attractive at all. And it could be that is because for years I couldn't find any pants or jeans that fit me (until Longs became more popular in pant sizing)

LOL, I hear ya! I'm 6ft tall and slim and for the longest time I avoided capris and three quarter length sleeves, because I always felt like I was wearing someone else's clothes who was shorter than me. I have since bought a couple of great pairs of capris that are just the perfect cut and length that hit me at just the right place. Mine are a more slim leg. I don't like them if they have wider legs, as that when I think they look bad on a lot of people. LOL, I got over the 3/4 length sleeve issue and now like them as well.

Although I agree that capris aren't usually flattering on pretty much anybody, I did want to offer the opinion that wearing what you're comfortable in is more important to an enjoyable cruise. :)

Woohoo! Congratulations on your weight loss! I'm so impressed! I've lost about 20 at this point, so I KNOW first hand how diligent you have to be to lose that much! It's an EVERY minute of EVERY day thing, which is why I haven't lost the other 10 to 20 pounds I have set as my goal. I'm having too many days when I'm not 'good' with my food, but that's ANOTHER story! :)

Enjoy your trip to Europe! It's on my list! :D

I like them, but I want them to hit in the right spot on my leg....same with shorts and skirts/dresses.

This blog post shows a simple way to know if your hemlines (of all things) are hitting the most flattering part of you.

http://sharibraendel.blogspot.com/2012/03/are-capris-frumpy.html

Thanks Kleo30! This is a great point of reference. I can't wait to get home, strip down (did I say that?:eek:) and find those diamonds! BTW... I enjoyed reading your blog about your cruise. :)

Thanks Kleo30! This is a great point of reference. I can't wait to get home, strip down (did I say that?:eek:) and find those diamonds! BTW... I enjoyed reading your blog about your cruise. :)

I found that over the weekend when my husband was home. I jumped up and had to find my diamonds...he wondered what the heck I was doing LOL.

Thanks....I like to reread my blog myself LOL. I'm impatiently waiting for the long Caribbean cruises for 2014 to release......quite impatiently.....

I like them, but I want them to hit in the right spot on my leg....same with shorts and skirts/dresses.

This blog post shows a simple way to know if your hemlines (of all things) are hitting the most flattering part of you.

http://sharibraendel.blogspot.com/2012/03/are-capris-frumpy.html

Kelly thanks for the great link. I agree and glad I have diamonds! LOL

On the other hand I prefer the pedal pusher length or a couple of inches below my knees. I am aiming for modesty and in public I prefer to cover my knees. Just my preferences.

Archived