Help motivate me about our stop in San Juan

Eeyoregon

Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding!

BTW, "Batey" is the island indian (native, Arawak or Taino) name for a backyard or hangout area beside a home. Not much native indian in this place, if anything, but to locals "Batey" rings as just that: a homey hangout place to sit around with family and friends, enjoy libations and shoot the s...

Sounds like a place we need to check out! Thanks! Is there a patio, too?

San Juan is one of my favorite ports to just wander around. We have been to the forts before so when we went back we just wandered around and took in the beautiful scenery of the buildings and trees and flowers everywhere. Some nice shops to wander into and just browse and great places to eat. Great place for picture taking if you enjoy that. Also enjoyed the Coach, and Dooney and Bourke stores for about an hour!! Get off the ship for at least a bit.

Tina

San Juan is one of my favorite ports to just wander around. We have been to the forts before so when we went back we just wandered around and took in the beautiful scenery of the buildings and trees and flowers everywhere. Some nice shops to wander into and just browse and great places to eat. Great place for picture taking if you enjoy that. Also enjoyed the Coach, and Dooney and Bourke stores for about an hour!! Get off the ship for at least a bit.

Tina

Good grief, did you say Coach store?? Well, we have 1/2 the group taken care of :D for entertainment!

Yes, I said Coach store. And it's an outlet too!!! Great prices. People were actually lined up outside to get in when it opened. If I remember correctly, it doesn't open until 10 am so don't get there too early. I bought a purse, a wallet, a cross body bag and a wristlet for around 250. There aren't any outlets near me and I refuse to pay the full price in their mall stores so I was ecstatic with my purchases.

Tina

Yes, I said Coach store. And it's an outlet too!!! Great prices. People were actually lined up outside to get in when it opened. If I remember correctly, it doesn't open until 10 am so don't get there too early. I bought a purse, a wallet, a cross body bag and a wristlet for around 250. There aren't any outlets near me and I refuse to pay the full price in their mall stores so I was ecstatic with my purchases.

Tina

Thanks again for the info! Two of the gals in my group are beyond excited about San Juan now :D!

It looks like there is only us and one other ship in port that day and we arrive first and will plan to hit the Coach store first.

Like the above poster, I would like to know where exactly in San Juan it is in relation to the port?

The address is 158 Cristo Street. Now let me see if I can remember how to get there . We docked at the San Juan pier, right across from the Sheraton. We crossed the main road in front of the pier and went left past the Sheraton and past the CVS. Both on the right hand side. You will get to the park area where the horse and carraiges and vendors are set up. Went through there and took a right on one of the streets. Not sure if we actually went up Cristo street or zigzagged over to it. It will be up on your left coming that way. When we went I had a general idea as to it's location and headed that way. I asked a police officer on the street where it was and we were only about 5 minutes away from it at that point. It's probably only about a 15- 20 minute walk from the pier if you don't stop. We did stop along the way so I am guessing on the time but it's not far. Just go that way and ask -- someone will help you get there. Its a great walk because you can see so many beautiful old buildings and the plant life is beautiful . Old San Juan isn't really that big in my opinion. Have fun. I hope we get back there next year to see San Juan again.

Tina

• 2 months later...
Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding!

BTW, "Batey" is the island indian (native, Arawak or Taino) name for a backyard or hangout area beside a home. Not much native indian in this place, if anything, but to locals "Batey" rings as just that: a homey hangout place to sit around with family and friends, enjoy libations and shoot the s...

Do you happen to know what time this place opens? I will be in port from 10-6 when I go and was hoping it would be open for some lunch cocktails :D

Is the Bacardi Factory a place we could do on our own? How do we get there?

Also, speaking of outlets, I think I read there is a Disney outlet store. Anybody know?

Never seen a Disney outlet there.

The Bacardi Factory is easy and cheap to go on your own. You have to catch the Cantano Ferry which is located right next to where the ships dock. It costs about 50 cents each way. When you get to Cantano, walk out of the gate to ferry area and go a little down the road to the right where you can grab a taxi to the Factory. If you go with a group, it should cost about $3 each way for the cab.

They will drop you off at the factory where you will get a tour time and two free drink tickets. The tour itself lasts about 45 minutes. Of course, they drop you off at the end of the tour at the gift shop-which is a must if you are a Bacardi fan.

The whole trip back and forth should take around 2 or 3 hours.

The factory is nice, but if you've never experienced Old San Juan, I think you should spend time there as a first option. It is a great place to walk around and explore on your own (with a good walking map). They have a free trolley also.

We have done both the Segway tour and the Flavors of San Juan tour on our stops in PR. I highly recommend both.

The info for Flavors of San Juan tour is found here:

http://www.sanjuanfoodtours.com/tours.html

We did the dinner one and it was awesome. Included a walking tour of Old San Juan along with 4 stops for local food and drink.

I booked the segway tour a few weeks ago...we are doing the shorter one. We have a long time in port so plan on doing some exploring of OSJ, then the segway and maybe the Bacardi factory too. Looking forward to it.

Archived