Using ATM's in Europe, taking out large amounts? How much to bring on plane?

The "chip" and "pin" requirements for Europe vary by country. We had no trouble using our regular USA non chip credit cards in England, Spain, and Italy. It costs the restaurants and shops $$ to upgrade to the chip and pin system, so not all have upgraded. We encountered one shop in Portugal that required a pin - no problem. In Norway, Sweden and Denmark the "chip" and "pin" was in widespread use. If you told the store clerk that you wanted to use a non chip card and then input your pin number it still worked fine. We have tried to find the perfect international credit card that will work for us overseas as well as in the U.S., but no such luck. On the security note, all whom we dealt with scanned our card in our presence. In restaurants they brought the credit card machine directly to the table. While it's prudent to be vigilant, it was nice to see that security measures were reasonably good. We've had some experiences in less developed countries where credit card use would not be prudent. We usually carry small bills in such circumstances.

If you google "international" or "overseas credit card fees" you can find a chart that lists the percent and/or fees charged for overseas credit card transactions. I used such a chart and then verified the fees with our credit card companies. The lowest was 1%, a big difference from the 3 or 4% over the course of a cruise. I mention this because some may want to use their existing credit cards.

On the security note, all whom we dealt with scanned our card in our presence. In restaurants they brought the credit card machine directly to the table.

Most credit card fraud these days is the result of an electronic trap put on the data line the credit card goes thru. Where you scan the card would have nothing to do with the risk involved. Oddly, these days the risk of fraud is lower in smaller establishments (although not unknown) because it's more efficient to put the traps on lines that will have a heavy data flow, thousands and tens of thousands transactions.

What leads you to believe that this is the case? Have you checked and if so what have you checked it against.

The fact is that there is no such thing as an actual exchange rate. The foreign exchange markets trade continuously and the price changes from second to second. Yes there is a rate quoted in the papers - but that is just a snapshot of the rates at a given point of time - and the rates change, sometimes in substantial amounts, throughout the day. Even if you were buying hundreds of thousands of Euros there is still a difference between the buy and sell price at a given moment. Essentially every bank and every financial institution adds a margin onto the rate that they're buying or selling Euros at to cover their overhead and operations at a minimum.

Thanks for your question. The last time I bought Euros twice in same day was when we were visiting the Netherlands to see the Tulips, that was April last year. You are correct about the daily fluctuation in price. The prices I paid, each different, wasn’t the highest or the lowest. I guess you could call it average or somewhere in the middle. Each purchase was for different amount of Euros. Both purchases were made in different towns, Lisse and Delft, both in the Netherlands. Here’s a link to the site I used Historical Rates.

It’s same one Wine-O uses.

I am on the Celebrity Equinox leaving May 11th. All three couples purchased a few thousand euros at the local bank. Don't want to waste any time looking for atm's. We will only be in Rome 1 day and with the daily limits we would not be able to get enough before the ship leaves. Can't wait until next week!

:)

Getting Euro ahead of time is OK if one doesn't mind paying the extra fees/exchange rate. It's all about what makes one feel warm & fuzzy. :)

That's such a generalization. Some cities have excellent exchange places with no fees. Xe rate today for Euros is 1.30 Cdn. I paid 1.31 at my exchange place 1/2 a block from my office. I'll take that rate anyday to give me peace of mind when arriving in Europe. Even if I find a Parabis that my bank doesn't charge a withdrawal fee for, my bank still charges about 2% premium on the exchange rate. I'm usually better off getting it from home. I definitely use my ATM card in Europe, but usually not until about 1/2 way through our trip. I would never consider landing without a decent stash of local currency.

I am on the Celebrity Equinox leaving May 11th. All three couples purchased a few thousand euros at the local bank. Don't want to waste any time looking for atm's. We will only be in Rome 1 day and with the daily limits we would not be able to get enough before the ship leaves. Can't wait until next week!

:)

Hello, I see it is your first post on here...welcome:)...we have a

wonderful roll call for this sailing.:D.....if you want to come say

hello? Here is a link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1388461

We have lots of friendly folks who are sailing with you...or you

with us:D;)

If you have bank of America they don't charge any fee if you withdraw from these banks:

BNP Paribas - France

BNL Italia - Italy

Barclays - England

Deutsche Bank - Germany

etc.

See completed list on BofA site.

I am getting ready for my first Euro cruise. I have BOA too, but my card has a 7 digit PIN. Does yours? Was this a problem for you? I'll be mostly in France and Italy.

I am getting ready for my first Euro cruise. I have BOA too, but my card has a 7 digit PIN. Does yours? Was this a problem for you? I'll be mostly in France and Italy.

A 7digit pin?:eek:...wow..never heard of that before.

I also notify my credit card companies of my travel plans for outside the USA.

However, I did learn from my sister's experience to tell them TWO things.

1. My international destinations and dates.

2. Where my cruise lines home office is....in this case: Miami, Fl for X

Plus a suggestion....Bring an extra credit card (different acct) for backup.

The reason for the 2nd layer of information is that my sister DID notify her CC company of travel plans and dates to the Med. Great. Then we checked in for cruise embarkation...and Celebrity validated the credit card she was using for the cruise. Also fine. The information was relayed to Celebrity's home office in Miami. (this happened several years ago....not sure how this is managed now)

RED FLAG with the credit card company. She already told them she was in the Med on those dates....if so, how could she be making charges on her card in Miami? Meanwhile, we were in Florence and she made some purchases on the CC. The CC company called her home to question fraud. Her DH took the call. He assured them he KNEW she was NOT in Miami. They asked if she could have made any charges in "Firenze". He looked at our itinerary and said no. So they cancelled her credit card!

She did have a 2nd credit card with her...plus I had two with my accounts, so we were fine. But could have been VERY different! Who wants to deal with cancelled credit cards and all those phone calls while on vacation!

This will be a problem. You will be unable to use your card in any ATM machine in Europe.

The good news is it is easy to change your pin to a 4 NUMBER pin (European ATMs don't have letters).

You can change it back when you return home.

A quick stop at the bank will take care of this, and you may even be able to do it online, depending on your bank.

But yes, you must have a 4 digit pin.

We use ATM's, also. We usually have 100 or so euros from previous trips to get us going and supplement it once overseas. We have never had a problem finding one. We take ATM cards from two different accounts in case the card is "eaten."

One thing to watch out for is that whatever ATM you are using has Pulse, Cirrus, etc. symbol on it that matches what is on your card. If it doesn't, then it is a "private" ATM and it is "Katie bar the door" with transaction fees. If convenient, we try to find one that is attached to a bank but we don't spend time seeking them out. If you arrange for a private tour at your first port and you don't have euros, they will be happy to take you to an ATM to get money to pay them.

On our Baltic's cruise, we had a private tour lined up and they wanted American $ or a credit card which would have a 3% surcharge. Since our bank does not charge for traveler's checks and I did not want to have close to $1K in cash on me in transit, I got traveler's checks and cashed them at the front desk the night before the payment was due.

In Europe, they sometimes call the ATM outlets "holes in the wall" (lol).

Tucker in Texas

Archived