Portland/Casco Bay Ferries

alise007

Was wondering if maybe we should consider a ferry to one of the islands while we are in port in October 9th (Tuesday)?

Not interested in a lobster bake and we have 2 kids ages 4 and 6. Don't want to do another children's museum-would like to see some pretty sites and avoid renting a car or doing a formal bus tour.

Looks like Peaks Island might be fun!

I can't tell how long the ferry ride is...it shows the timetables but didn't indicate length of time to be on the ferry itself.

http://www.cascobaylines.com/islands/peaks_island.htm

20 minutes one way.

We really enjoy heading over to Peaks. There's a little diner over there that has pretty good food... as well as a general store and ice cream shop. You might rent bicycles... or simply walk around. If you do geocaching, there are a handful of caches over there. If you like to walk on the beach and look for beach glass, we usually have pretty good luck on Peaks. It's a unique community, with some great walks and views.

Enjoy!

The other thing you might look at is the MailBoat Tour, or one of the other scenic cruises: http://www.cascobaylines.com/cruises/scenic_cruises.htm

The mailboat lets you get on and off at a few different islands. You won't spend as much time on any one island, but it will give you a taste of island life... on the boat that really delivers the mail, packages, construction materials, food, etc.

thanks for the vote on Peaks! I did check out the mail boat just not sure if the kids want to be confined after being on the boat with another boat!

I haven't ruled out a whale watching excursion though because I know they would love to see the BIG creatures in PERSON but it sounds like Oct may be the end of the season. There appears to be only 1 whale watching company out of Portland that I can find. Odyssey?? I think it was.

thanks for the vote on Peaks! I did check out the mail boat just not sure if the kids want to be confined after being on the boat with another boat!

I haven't ruled out a whale watching excursion though because I know they would love to see the BIG creatures in PERSON but it sounds like Oct may be the end of the season. There appears to be only 1 whale watching company out of Portland that I can find. Odyssey?? I think it was.

Another vote for Peaks, nice little island and a quick/scenic ride out. Oct would be pretty late for whales....still some Minkies around, but the Humpies will have started to head south by then....

Do you get the ferry for Peaks Island near the cruise ship dock?

Yes! There are two terminals now, about 1/4 mile apart, so I'm not sure which you will dock at. If you are at the State of Maine pier, then the Casco Bay Lines terminal and ticket counter are right there. If you are further down at the Ocean Gate Way terminal you just have to walk the 1/4 mile back up Commercial St. It's very easy!

Archived