Luxury cruise vs Celebrity for gay

pepbcn28

Hi!

We are a late 30s gay couple planning their honeymoon for 2013. We have been cruising with Celebrity and love it, but I think we could try a luxury cruise for the honeymoon to make it more special.

I have been reading multiple posts about Seabourn (I like the possibility of order caviar), SilverSea, Crystal... We are looking for an itinerary in northern Europe, because of we don't like hot weather (maybe because we live in Barcelona) and we are planning it for June.

So the first question is which company has the younger crowd? (I understand luxury cruises and cold weather attracts the older between the older :( )

And second, where would be easier to find more gay people?

Last, I read that transatlantic cruises attracts more gay people, is that true also for these luxury lines?

I don't know if it would be better to repeat Celebrity (we like it, it is cheaper, there is a Arctic Cruise in June very interesting, and we know there will be some gay people, specially because it is a bigger ship), or take a luxury one with the drawbacks of no more gay people, older crowd...

Thanks for your answers, and every advice would be appreciated

Josep

Hi!

We are a late 30s gay couple planning their honeymoon for 2013. We have been cruising with Celebrity and love it, but I think we could try a luxury cruise for the honeymoon to make it more special.

I have been reading multiple posts about Seabourn (I like the possibility of order caviar), SilverSea, Crystal... We are looking for an itinerary in northern Europe, because of we don't like hot weather (maybe because we live in Barcelona) and we are planning it for June.

So the first question is which company has the younger crowd? (I understand luxury cruises and cold weather attracts the older between the older :( )

Last, I read that transatlantic cruises attracts more gay people, is that true also for these luxury lines?

I don't know if it would be better to repeat Celebrity (we like it, it is cheaper, there is a Arctic Cruise in June very interesting, and we know there will be some gay people, specially because it is a bigger ship), or take a luxury one with the drawbacks of no more gay people, older crowd...

Josep

We do Cunard. We did our honeymoon in 2010 on QM2. We did book the "Queens Grill" for that trip. The food is outstanding as is the suite. It's true that once you leave the "Grills" you're on a mass market ship. There is a lot to do on board. The crowd is somehat older(not "Passage on the Lady Anne" old, but still fairly old)There is a well attended FOD/GBLT meeting most days in the Comodore club. I would say for a fairly small very sophisticated crowd that Seaborne would be a good choice. We're 57/49 respectivly so we're somewhat older than you, but you'll find plenty of gay travelers on pretty much any luxury ship.

We always book on Celebrity. We love the line. We also have had great times on their upscale Azamara Club Cruises. Your elite status will also be accepted from Celebrity. We have met several gay couples on Azamarla as well as Celebrity. Azamara also has cruises out of Spain. Check them out

Hello. First off, let me say that we are biologically older then you, but still young at heart. Secondly, although we have sailed on Silverseas, it was some time ago, so I am not up to date with them. Although we have sailed with and liked very much Celebrity, we have done many more cruises with both Crystal and Seabourn. Let's start with Crystal. Both the Symphony and the Serenity are quite large, but they accommodate fewer passengers then ships of the same tonnage in the mass market. The itineraries usually include several sea days. Seabourn's "little sisters", the Pride, the Legend and the Spirit are small and very intimate. The three new ships, The Odyssey, the Sojourn and the Quest are medium sized, but maintain a cozy friendly atmosphere. They tend to have more port intensive itineraries. The odds of meeting more gays people would be better on one of the larger ships. There have always been several gay couples on every cruise we've taken on both lines. And both lines are in themselves, gay friendly. The difference between these two lines and those of the mass market is the service. Both Seabourn and Crystal shine in this department. I would venture to guess, only by reading the CC boards, that you will find more gay guys on Celebrity. As the old saying goes, If it ain't broke, don't fix it! So, if you really like Celebrity, stick with them. But, check the itineraries and prices for all three lines and make your decision. Whatever you chose, have a great time

Hi!

Josep

Yes, you are correct. The colder the destination; the older the passenger base is and I was say that on either ship the average age is going to be 60+ although you will find some younger people and families and a few gay people..but not a lot. Most young people want warm destinations, not colder northern destinations for scenery & sightseeing so I wouldn't go on either cruise looking for gay people or younger folks. Sorry...just my opinion. But who knows...you might get lucky and connect with few people GLBT.

For a couple in their late 30's for a honeymoon in northern Europe? I'd go on Seaborne if you want an ultra deluxe upscale cruise experience. It will be quiet and romantic. I just don't see many if any 30 year olds on Seaborne.

If you want a larger cruise experience then stick with Celebrity...you really can't go wrong. For the money you would spend on Seaborne you could upgrade to a mini-suite or full suite or just save the $$. Sometimes it just better to stick with what you know and like. Here, your changes to connect with GLBT people will be much better.

But, I really like your idea to do a Celebrity Transatlantic. It still will be an older crowd w/ few family and kids, but they tend to attract a lot of gay people and there is always an active roll call here on Cruisecritic for these types of cruises.

Now...one last thing, I did a quick search and found that Pied Piper travel (based in US) is offering two Northern European gay group cruises in June 2013 on Celebrity Eclipse and on Celebrity Infinity. (They are not all-gay charters.) Anyway, not only are you assured gay people, but both are on Celebrity and they usually provide a host and have varies activities just for the group like private cocktails parties, shore tours, etc. and they offer competitive group pricing. Just Google Pied Piper Travel for prices/itinerary. I'd done a cruise with them to Alaska and I've always read good things about them here on Cruisecritic.

Why not look into a "Gay Group Cruise" on a more upscale line. There are a number of gay owned travel companies that do gay groups on upscale ships. Pied Piper, Atalntis, RSVP, Cruising With Pride, Aquafest Cruises, etc. all have some great options. This summer there are even a couple of River Cruises that offer either all gay or gay groups. We did a river cruise last year with only 150 on borad and there were a four other gay men on board. Out of almost 50 cruises on most lines, I have to rank the River Cruise, while not a gay group, in the top one or two of all time. Cunard is to "English" for our taste unless you are part of a gay group.

All the best with your honeymoon.

Dan

Hello. First off' date=' let me say that we are biologically older then you, but still young at heart. Secondly, although we have sailed on Silverseas, it was some time ago, so I am not up to date with them. Although we have sailed with and liked very much Celebrity, we have done many more cruises with both Crystal and Seabourn. Let's start with Crystal. Both the Symphony and the Serenity are quite large, but they accommodate fewer passengers then ships of the same tonnage in the mass market. The itineraries usually include several sea days. Seabourn's "little sisters", the Pride, the Legend and the Spirit are small and very intimate. The three new ships, The Odyssey, the Sojourn and the Quest are medium sized, but maintain a cozy friendly atmosphere. They tend to have more port intensive itineraries. The odds of meeting more gays people would be better on one of the larger ships. There have always been several gay couples on every cruise we've taken on both lines. And both lines are in themselves, gay friendly. The difference between these two lines and those of the mass market is the service. Both Seabourn and Crystal shine in this department. I would venture to guess, only by reading the CC boards, that you will find more gay guys on Celebrity. As the old saying goes, If it ain't broke, don't fix it! So, if you really like Celebrity, stick with them. But, check the itineraries and prices for all three lines and make your decision. Whatever you chose, have a great time[/quote']

I absolutely enjoyed reading your post. Your's is probably the most informative post I have come across and we are excited in trying Crystal and Seabourn in the near future. Thanks again for your input! :)

Thanks a lot for your advices...

We are checking itineraries and trips to decide the cruise... There is a Arctic cruise with celebrity in June that looks wonderful. Seabourn has also a north cape cruise in late july very interesting, but very expensive (as a luxury line is).

So thinking about it... paying a lot for tasting caviar and luxe, or maybe take celebrity with beverage package, spa package and more, for less price ;-)

It is a pity that I am afraid we couldn't get marry in February for an Antarctica cruise with celebrity (there are some with pied piper groups), or November for a Transatlantic with Seabourn, more affordable than the north cape one.

Archived