New to river cruising/how to dress

dcruisers

I think what you have listed for a man is good. For the Captain's Welcome and Farewell evenings on Uniworld, men's clothing was mixed: some wore sport coats with and without a tie; some wore shirts with or without ties. One thing: unless you're a total slob, no one notices or cares what you wear!

Have cruised GCT and Viking, all 8 day cruises. Typically I will bring:

1 pair hiking boots

1 pair casual shoes for evening

1 lightweight jacket/heavy jacket depending on weather (wear flying)

5 Under Armor polo shirts

1 long sleeve shirt for Captains welcome and departing dinner

3 pair jeans (wear one flying)

1 pair dockers for Captains welcome and departing dinner

8 pair underwear

8 pair socks

1 electric shaver

1 toothbrush with toothpaste

Use ship provided shampoo etc.

All flights are overnight to Europe. I wear a polo shirt and jeans flying over and during the day upon arrival. Change shirt for dinner and wear the next day. Wash each shirt worn during the day in sink, dry overnight and hang in closet. Repeat each day.

Each shirt gets worn twice during the cruise with at least four days between wearing. Have done 8 day cruises with a carry-on alone. Other than Captains dinners I wear jeans to the dinning room along with at least half of the other men.

Cheers,

Good news about the jacket not being required for men. Mixed opiniona on jeans at dinner. My husband would love that--his jeans are all black, so less jean-like. But I can't imagine him needing 3 pairs of jeans, plus one pair of dockers for an 8 day trip! We just came back from 21 days away, cruise plus land trip, and he only had two pairs of jeans with him, and two pairs of dockers.

I like the idea of the tiny packing list for women--with scarves and jewellery, I could do that! Might need 3 pairs of shoes, however--walking shoes for excursions, sandals or shoes for evening, and perhaps sport's sandals for knocking around (I hate shoes.)

The only reason I take 3 pair of jeans is;

I wear one pair on the way over and the first day, then put them away for the trip back. The other two pair suffice for the rest of the cruise, alternating them to give them a chance to "air", until the day of departure, when I break out the original pair.

As I mentioned, in our 3 Viking cruises, at least half the men will wear jeans to dinner if not more, and I have never heard any remarks against it. Even some women will wear jeans (usually designer type), with a nice blouse. Viking especially is very casual, and they will not look down on you for wearing jeans.

After 26 years of military, and another 28 years of coat and tie as a civilian, I will take my money to the line that will let me be casual.

Cheers,

Bill, thanks so much for your packing list and your wardrobe travel itinerary. That helps tremendously. We are in our very early 40's and from what I've read will be younger than the usual river cruisers. I want to make sure my DH and I are wearing appropriate clothes.

Thanks!

Melody

• 2 weeks later...
First, I appreciate all the great information...it is so helpful as a first time river cruiser.

My concern with changing every night is the amount of clothing for 15 day trip for both daytime and nighttime. I know that black slacks for night is great as you can add a nice top with fun costume jewelry..and be set.

Any words of wisdom on packing for a 15 day cruise with pre and post cruise days would be appreciated.

We are doing a 26 day one next year, You are very tired at the end of the day. After our first one , we learned bring less clothes it is different than Ocean cruising at 10 pm almost every is in there rooms ..

We have enjoyed two cruises with Uniworld -- Danube and Russia. Definitely very casual dress at dinner is fine. We saw everything from jeans to Dockers to sports jackets. Just a little dressier for Captains and Farewell dinners.

Just back from Uniworld's River Duchess and didn't see a single person wearing jeans or casual clothes to dinner. Captain's dinners (2 of them) were dressier, but everyone dressed nicely for every dinner. Lunch was casual.

About half of the men wore jackets to dinner with open collars. Most women wore a nice blouse and slacks or a dress.

Archived