Best day to skip MDR for Windjammer

Just do it when it seems like the right time. That's whats great about a cruise, you can just go along with the flow. When it seems like you just don't feel like dressing up going to the MDR, then just don't and go to the Windjammer.

Relax and enjoy your vacation.

I am a huge fan of letting things play out.

My sentiments exactly. It's YOUR vacation, not someone else's.

In our personal experience, my husband and I recently went on our first cruise (Voyager) and after two dinners and one breakfast in the MDR, we opted for WJ and two times at Johnny Rockets. That was just OUR preference. Next cruise we will save the trouble of packing "formal" or "dress" clothes. We were just not impressed with the food in the MDR - very small portions and very little taste, and way too long to complete a meal. Enjoyed the freedom to dine whenever we wanted to and have a wider choice of what we wanted to eat.

Enjoy your trip :)

My feeling is that we will probably see just how enjoyable MDR actually is. My wife enjoys a long, relaxed meal and I see it as being drawn out. She does all the cooking at home so I can understand her wanting to be waited on and enjoying the evening. I owe her that for all the meals that she has cooked me.

I am going on the Explorer. Are there tables in there that have a view of the ocean? Maybe I can use that to my advantage to convince her to try WJ a couple of times.

My sentiments exactly. It's YOUR vacation, not someone else's.

In our personal experience, my husband and I recently went on our first cruise (Voyager) and after two dinners and one breakfast in the MDR, we opted for WJ and two times at Johnny Rockets. That was just OUR preference. Next cruise we will save the trouble of packing "formal" or "dress" clothes. We were just not impressed with the food in the MDR - very small portions and very little taste, and way too long to complete a meal. Enjoyed the freedom to dine whenever we wanted to and have a wider choice of what we wanted to eat.

Enjoy your trip :)

Our sentiment exactly! I am even tempted to not even book MDR. The WJ really is nice in the evenings and I am more relaxed then in the MDR. We had lots of kids around us in the MDR, including my own, who was fidgetty. It just was stressful. It was fun seeing the people dressed up in the Promanade after dinner and getting pics done. It is just not for us. I think I would pack same colored shirts and khaki bottoms and get a candid family pic taken. Who needs to dress up?

Our sentiment exactly! I am even tempted to not even book MDR. The WJ really is nice in the evenings and I am more relaxed then in the MDR. We had lots of kids around us in the MDR, including my own, who was fidgetty. It just was stressful. It was fun seeing the people dressed up in the Promanade after dinner and getting pics done. It is just not for us. I think I would pack same colored shirts and khaki bottoms and get a candid family pic taken. Who needs to dress up?

We will skip MDR completely next cruise. Did not visit Portofino for the same reason. We had no problems whatsoever in the WJ or Johnny Rockets and were much more comfortable and enjoyed our meals. I think your idea of same colored shirts and khakis is a good idea (sorta like family pics on the beach a lot of people do). I'm on vacation to relax, I do NOT like to dress up !! Guess we're some of the classless people some others refer to on other posts. Sorry for them !! :p

It seemed to me that the Windjammer was less busy on port days. We went early though, around 6:30. I beleive the WJ opened at 6:30 while MDR was 6:00pm. Maybe to encourage use of the MDR.

If there was only specialty restaurants along with the WJ, I doubt they could server everyone.

We're doing both formal nights since we like to take photos.

We always take it day by day. In the morning or early afternoon we usually go down to the dining room & they have the menus for dinner that evening. If something looks especially good we know we will eat in the dining room that night. If nothing on the menu appeals to us we just eat somewhere else!

According to the MDR servers that I talked to, they keep their own tips. However the prepaid tips for MTD are split among the MDT servers in the MDR.

I give my MDR and room staff more in cash at the end personally, do they get to keep that or do they have to throw it into a community bin?

I am thinking they get to keep it, but making sure.

We are going on the FOS western on June 24th, 7 night cruise. My fear is missing the surf and turf night, if they have one. Do they have one? And what night does it usually fall on? Thanks

There is a night where the menu has "surf and turf" -- night 3 or night 4 probably, depending on your cruise. I think this was steak and shrimp. But did you mean the lobster night? That is the 2nd formal night -- night 6 or sometimes night 5 on a 7-day cruise. Lobster is on the fisherman's plate, and prime rib is also on the menu. I usually order both entrees that night -- and sometimes even get 2nds on the lobster too. (Burp.)

There is a night where the menu has "surf and turf" -- night 3 or night 4 probably, depending on your cruise. I think this was steak and shrimp. But did you mean the lobster night? That is the 2nd formal night -- night 6 or sometimes night 5 on a 7-day cruise. Lobster is on the fisherman's plate, and prime rib is also on the menu. I usually order both entrees that night -- and sometimes even get 2nds on the lobster too. (Burp.)

Just figured out how to add the quote--lol.

Thanks for the info!

Yes, I'm well aware that the prepaid tips include the cabin steward. This thread is in regards to MDR.

And MTD is in the MDR. So my point remains valid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree. RCI should have an "MDR - Opt Out" option for us....

The two of us, DW/DH, rarely use any MDR since, on

Royal Caribbean ships, the same food is served in the WJ

that you order in MDR. We enjoy Jade as well.

Best tip for WJ: Be there as soon as they open so you

can avoid the rush hour. When you're early, you can pick

your table based on, say, the view that night or your favorite

wait person there.

We also always book Portofino a few nights if sailing LOS or NOS.

We prefer early dining, like at home, so this is perfect.

:cool::D

PS...If your traveling with a large group or family it may not be

possible to do this. Also, large groups tend to socialize more at

dinner and so regular MDR seating is perfect for them.

On our first cruise we ate in the MDR almost every night. My main problem (complaint) was that I wanted to try smaller portions of different entrees or sides and couldn't pick just one dessert - but I only wanted 1/2 or 1/3 of a serving. I hated leaving food on my plate. By the end of the cruise we would get one serving of a side, entree, and dessert and then go up to the WJ for the others that we wanted to taste or have more of.

On our second cruise, we were in the MDR less than half the nights. We didn't like spending over two hours eating when we could go to the WJ and have far more options in half the time and enjoy our meal in a much quieter environment. We could also get the amount of food we wanted and not waste any.

The downside to eating dinner in the WJ is we don't have the time to get to meet other people, but there are so many other opportunities I must say we don't miss it that much. Also, being a married gay couple, some folks were obviously not comfortable around us which made for an unpleasant and unbearably long dinner.

We used to check out the MDR menu each night but on the last cruise we didn't even bother doing that. When booking we tell the agent to give us late seating but never go to the MDR anymore. We'll take the advice and release our seats once on board so they know we will not be using the MDR.

I'll reiterate what other have said: it is your vacation, do what you want! Mix it up and explore to see what you enjoy.

I took my 11yo son on Majesty of the Seas for his birthday (just me & him on that cruise). He wanted the relaxed/shorts type vacation, didn't like the idea of wearing a decent outfit. LOL. So, for that cruise we ate at WJ every evening. He loved it. The Buffet meant that he had a great choice of stuff, and could try a small portion of something new without the guilt if he hated it.

For an xmas present, me & GF took our two daughters on Navigator of the Seas. For that trip, we ate at Chops one night (was included by TA), and MDR every other night. The girls loved having an opportunity to dress up fancy (in reality, it gave them an excuse to wear their prom dresses a second time LOL).

So, I guess it depends on the situation. Sometimes it's nice to get dolled up and have a nice sit down dinner. Other times it's nice to enjoy the buffet at WJ. Depends on how your day was and what you're in the mood for. I was happy that the dress code was not as stiff as I feared for formal nights. Yes, there were guys in Tuxes, but there were also guys in dockers/button-down/tie/no-jacket. So, you could dress up if you wanted to, but there was no bouncer at the door blocking those who were not to the 9s.

Archived