Best day to skip MDR for Windjammer

I would like to know which nights the "singing waiters" do their shtick so I can avoid the MDR on those nights.

Our waiters have always come round after coffee and given us a run down of what will happen in the MDR the next day - the dishes we will be tempted with, what time breakfast and lunch will be served and of course if the wait staff will have "a little treat" for us we have got to understand the euphemism for the singing waiters.

We are trying MTD this time because there are just the 2 of us and we want to eat on a small table, maybe we will end up with a different team each night and so will not get so much of this bonding. Can anyone advise me, if we don't give out the tip envelopes, as they are prepaid anyway, does it really matter? That means we could avoid the MDR on the last night - I really don't enjoy the last night feeling in the dining room.

Of course if there is exceptional service we could still drop by and give the envelope plus anything else we want to drop in it.

We ban formal nights!! ;)

WJ dinner is just fine. Wish I could choose that as my dining choice. Add a specialty restuarant once or twice and bingo-no MDR at all!!!

what do you mean by "ban formal nights" ??:confused: i think ban mean to forbid, not to allow......am i wrong?

Too bad Royal Caribbean doesn't offer balcony dining like Princess. We would probably give it a shot since we are going to have a large aft balcony this year. It seems like it would be a good option on long port days.

Too bad Royal Caribbean doesn't offer balcony dining like Princess. We would probably give it a shot since we are going to have a large aft balcony this year. It seems like it would be a good option on long port days.

If you are in a balcony cabin, order room service.....balcony dining! :D

WJ dinner is just fine. Wish I could choose that as my dining choice. Add a specialty restuarant once or twice and bingo-no MDR at all!!!

I am with Debde!

I say every night is a WJ night! I just dont like getting waited on.

Actually, it is your vacation. You do what you want, when you want!

what do you mean by "ban formal nights" ??:confused: i think ban mean to forbid, not to allow......am i wrong?

You got me!! probably bad choice of a word. Can I say avoid it like the plague!!! :p

Seriously-like I said. I'm glad those that enjoy it have the option. As I am glad to have other options for that evening.

We are somewhat new to cruising and don't know what a lot of these acronyms mean. Where is the best place on these "boards" to help us get started ?? There is SO much information out there.

MDR = Main Dining Room - which is where you would go for a sit down meal with servers

WJ = Windjammer Cafe - which is the buffet, self serve

I am with Debde!

I say every night is a WJ night! I just dont like getting waited on.

Actually, it is your vacation. You do what you want, when you want!

Yup!! and if we could chose that option, no waitstaff would be expecting us for dinner!!!:D Also no waitlist for MDR times. I'm thinking that would be a thing of the past!!

To me-there is a huge difference between lunch and diner.

You can get amost everything they serve in the MDR.

Much quieter.

Truly-MTD

Wait staff will get to know you the same as they do in the dining room if you sit in the same section every night.

Cant get the fishermans platter:(

Like I said-almost anything. ;)

But I will tell you-my brother in law asked for escargot and they went and got it for him!! Never hurts to ask!!!

You can stop by the MDR after you board and tell them you want to release your seats, because you will not be dining there. This way they can offer your seats to cruisers that are waitlisted for your dining time.

As far as tipping goes, the suggested tips should remain in place....that way, you don't have to worry about tipping individuals as you go....the dining room tips cover everyone who serves you in the WJ, too!

Sorry, I disagree cb. If someone gives up their MDR seats, the staff will assign their seats to cruisers on the waitlist. The waiter, assistant waiter and head waiter will receive tips from the waitlisted cruisers. Why should cruisers who do not dine in the MDR tip servers that do not serve them?

As far as WJ staff...They are either on their off week and do not expect tips that week or they are assistant waiters from the MDR who will be receiving tips because they are serving dinner in the MDR. They are well aware of this when they sign up for the position.

There is NO requirement to tip waiters for service in the WJ. If a cruiser wishes to tip each day in the WJ, then that is their own choice.

Your tipping advise is incorrect. Stop making new cruisers feel they need to tip for WJ service or tip MDR servers that do not give them service, if they give up their seats.

gra·tu·i·ty

noun, plural gra·tu·i·ties.

1. a gift of money, over and above payment due for service, as to a waiter or bellhop; tip.

2. something given without claim or demand.

You can stop by the MDR after you board and tell them you want to release your seats, because you will not be dining there. This way they can offer your seats to cruisers that are waitlisted for your dining time.

Sorry, I disagree cb. If someone gives up their MDR seats, the staff will assign their seats to cruisers on the waitlist. The waiter, assistant waiter and head waiter will receive tips from the waitlisted cruisers. Why should cruisers who do not dine in the MDR tip servers that do not serve them?

As far as WJ staff...They are either on their off week and do not expect tips that week or they are assistant waiters from the MDR who will be receiving tips because they are serving dinner in the MDR. They are well aware of this when they sign up for the position.

There is NO requirement to tip waiters for service in the WJ. If a cruiser wishes to tip each day in the WJ, then that is their own choice.

You seem to give this tipping advise a lot, which is incorrect. Stop making new cruisers feel they need to tip for WJ service or tip MDR servers that do not give them service, if they gave up their seats.

I had read that all tips get split between servers, whether or not that is WJ or MDR, is this not true?

I had read that all tips get split between servers, whether or not that is WJ or MDR, is this not true?

According to the MDR servers that I talked to, they keep their own tips. However the prepaid tips for MTD are split among the MDT servers in the MDR.

According to servers that I talked to, they keep their own tips. However the prepaid tips for MTD are split among the MDT servers in the MDR.

The MTD tips are also for your cabin steward as well.

Like I said-almost anything. ;)

But I will tell you-my brother in law asked for escargot and they went and got it for him!! Never hurts to ask!!!

Wow that sounds good

Speaking of escargot Im going to miss them next week:(

I'm not crazy about the MDR night when Beef Stroganoff is on the menu. For us it was night 4 of the 7-night cruise. (Wednesday night with a Sunday departure.) If you go to the WJ, be sure to walk all around first before you load up your plate. We missed the freshly made Asian grill (sort of like a Mongolian Grill) section where they cook omelets in the morning, and had already eaten and were too full once we saw it.

Here's a good youtube video (not mine) of the Freedom of the Seas dinner buffet, to give you an idea of what is served. Watch in HD if you can.

Just do it when it seems like the right time. That's whats great about a cruise, you can just go along with the flow. When it seems like you just don't feel like dressing up going to the MDR, then just don't and go to the Windjammer.

Relax and enjoy your vacation.

I am a huge fan of letting things play out.

We usually try to hit one of the specialty restaurants at least once during a 7 day cruise. We usually try to pick "Caribbean" night in the MDR because we think the menu is weakest that night. We've never done the WJ for dinner. We like the Windjammer for breakfast and lunch, but we're not a big fan of a buffet for dinner, but that's just me. ;)

I just got back from a 4-day Majesty cruise...just be aware that the Windjammer dinner can vary by ship. My cruisemates are picky eaters who just like "plain food" and gravitated to the buffet each night despite my pleading otherwise. I was really disappointed in the WJ for dinner on the Majesty, the selection was not great and there were some repeats across nights (got tired of mashed potatoes and minute steaks). I usually only saw 1 or 2 dishes from the MDR in the Windjammer on the Majesty and usually it was a scaled-back version (Tempura Mahi-Mahi and Shrimp just became Mahi).

I have to say it was the only downside of our cruise (I forced our party to go to Johnny Rockets on the last day as a change-up).

This was different from my experience on the Liberty and Serenade, where there were many more choices and usually 3/5 or more of the MDR entrees available in the Windjammer...from now on I will stick to MTD in the MDR on the short cruises.

Archived