GPS tracking Alaska

tomculb

OK gearheads, what can you tell me about tracking our course from Seattle up to the Alaskan panhandle? I'm something of a map freak and like to know exactly where I am.

We'll have an iPad and smartphone (Android), and from everything I know, using Apple's Maps or Google Maps requires accessing the internet, and wifi access on the ship is prohibitively expensive and slow. Does anyone know a way to download some maps and use the GPS feature on one of these devices to track our progress, without being hooked up to the internet?

Next best alternative I suppose: an app that gives us longitude and latitude, and a good hard-copy map. Does anyone know of such an app, and if the maps in Upton's highly recommended book have long. & lat. shown on his maps?

We're on HAL, and our only other cruise, which was with HAL, they had a few monitors scattered around the ship with really poor maps of our progress; maybe that has improved?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Ok, the first thing. (Sorry if you already know this, but some people don't)

Does your device have real GPS or does it use cell towers and Wifi hotspots to get its information.

Standalone" or "Autonomous" GPS operation uses radio signals from satellites alone.

A-GPS or Assisted GPS additionally uses network resources to locate and use the satellites in poor signal conditions. Some devices may not work at all when not in communication with the cell network.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GPS

The third way of doing it (WIFI only IPADS) works by using a database of wifi access spots to triangulate your position. This will obviously be useless in your situation.

Now if your device has an actual GPS chipset and will work, you will, as you thought, need an application that downloads the maps to the devices and stores them on your device (as much as a gigabyte of data). The problem is that most of the programs that work with android or apple devices are great in build up areas with roads as they were built for this, but they are less usefull in out of the way or wilderness areas. Check out Copilot Live http://www.copilotlive.com

The other type of application you might want to look for is one that takes snapshots of your GPS positions and stores the information to a file. It will take a GPS reading every 30 seconds (adjustable) and store it to a file) as Position/date/time. Later you can take this file, upload it to your computer then open it with Google earth, or some other program and it will show you your track and speed based on this information. Look in the app store for GPS data logger or GPS Logger.

I actually have a small device from a company called AMOD called a GPS Data logger that does only this. I use it when taking photos. The program that comes with it takes the GPS timestamped data and links it to the Date time stamp on my Digital camera pictures and then I get GPS tagged photos, excellent for coming back later and seeing exactly where you took the photo.

Some cell phones are better than others and some have downright crappy GPS receivers. You will have to research your model. Remeber your device will always need a clear view of the Sky, if it is sitting inside your cabin, even on the balcony and it cannot see all the satellites, it may not work well or at all. The Ships GPS receivers have remote antennas that are sitting on top of the superstructure with a clear 360 degree view of the entire sky. It does not take much metal (or other materiels) to block the signal. Some windows even have materiels to protect against harmfull UV radiation and this can be enough to weaken signals to the point that some low end GPS Chipsets can not get a fix.

Thanks for the very informative answers. I had no idea that A-GPS even existed.

You can test your smart phone by putting it in Airplane mode and opening something like google maps - if it can find your position then the GPS works independent of the cell service.
actually, in airplane mode all transmission modes of the phone are off, including wifi and data. Google maps won't work as it pulls map data from the internet

So it sounds like I need to find an app that reports longitude and latitude (ie something that requires a satellite fix but no access to the internet) and see if it works in airplane mode. Or on my iPad with wifi turned off (we don't have a G3 plan). And assuming that works, then find a good map with longitude and latitude marked on it. Any other thoughts?

OK gearheads, what can you tell me about tracking our course from Seattle up to the Alaskan panhandle? I'm something of a map freak and like to know exactly where I am.

We'll have an iPad and smartphone (Android), and from everything I know, using Apple's Maps or Google Maps requires accessing the internet, and wifi access on the ship is prohibitively expensive and slow. Does anyone know a way to download some maps and use the GPS feature on one of these devices to track our progress, without being hooked up to the internet?

Next best alternative I suppose: an app that gives us longitude and latitude, and a good hard-copy map. Does anyone know of such an app, and if the maps in Upton's highly recommended book have long. & lat. shown on his maps?

We're on HAL, and our only other cruise, which was with HAL, they had a few monitors scattered around the ship with really poor maps of our progress; maybe that has improved?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Just buy a standalone GPS. Most of them have maps.

DON

Or on my iPad with wifi turned off (we don't have a G3 plan). And assuming that works, then find a good map with longitude and latitude marked on it. Any other thoughts?

I have yet to see any of these with a true GPS.

As I stated above, if all you are looking for is something to spit out a file contaning GPS Coordinates with date time information look for GPS Data Loggers. The Android App store does have some of these. THis all depends on whether your phone has a standalone GPS Chipset.

Alternatively look for a standalone GPS Data Logger device, some higher end camera stores sell them. A company called AMOD also makes inexpensive data loggers and you can find them on the internet.

Just do a google search on GPS Data Logger

You can usually import the file created from these devices/apps into Google Earth (free program), and then you can see your track.

Most phones and smart devices use cell towers, then wifi, then GPS signals in that order to determine location. The accuracy isn't great when you don't have any cell/wifi points to work with, and the GPS antenna is tiny. Not to mention the fact that continuous processing and logging on a smart phone chews through the battery life.

I agree that you should look for a simple GPS tracking device that logs your journey, and one that can help you geotag your photos afterwards.

Many of the GPS devices out there that help you navigate to a destination also provide logging, or you could try a product like ours http://www.gtrek2.com that provides a simple and accurate log of your journey.

Enjoy the trip!

• 1 month later...

On west coast repositioning cruises I've brought along my Garmin receiver (used on shore for driving), and if I go out on deck I can get a signal, and can zoom out far enough to show where I am relative to towns etc. However, as others have noted, when standing on my balcony I wasn't able to get enough satellite reception to get a fix.

I found an app for Droids, MX Mariner. Cost is $6.99, but you can use it to download NOAA marine charts for free. I believe this will work without the need for cell signals. I suspect I will have to go out on the top decks to get a decent signal for this as well.

I also found a free ap called GPS TEST that appears to only use GPS sats to get your position - it shows your heading, speed, lon,and lat as well as time. So from the phone you can record the lon and lat as well as heading and speed at several points during the day. My phone is a Moto Razor Droid MAX and it works very well on it even inside the house. I have not thought of putting the data in Google Earth to build a fly through of the trip.

I just got an iPAD (wi-fi only) and here's my plan for our Alaska cruise next year (gleaned from various posts here on CC )

App = iNAVX

Download free NOAA charts covering planned track

GPS device = Dual Electronics XGPS 150A

WVBill

I have a Garmin Nuvi 760 (older model, but the newer ones should do the same) that I stick to the window and leave on the whole time. It's got a track you can show and download to a PC and load into Google Earth.

I have a Garmin Nuvi 760 (older model, but the newer ones should do the same) that I stick to the window and leave on the whole time. It's got a track you can show and download to a PC and load into Google Earth.

Does your Garmin work on board, when you stick it on the window, or are you referring to your car's window?

well I just downloaded GPS Logger for my Motorola Razer MAX Droid phone. It makes GPX files on the SD Card and has a variable timer to select how often it takes a reading (1 - 9999 sec). It can also be told to ignore anything but the GPS. The files can either be downloaded to a computer, or read directly using Google Earth. The GPX file records the time, LONG, LAT, Bearing, and speed. Since it imports into Google Earth, I would also suspect that it would also import into Google Maps too.

BTW on your Garmin, how do you keep it powered on the ship??

I love my Garmin handheld for just these occasions. Maps are built in, easy to carry in your pocket, etc.

Also recommended is "The Alaska Cruise Handbook" by Joe Upton. Not only is it a great book with detailed maps and information, it contains a pull put large paper map that you can use along with the ship's map channel or your own GPS to track in detail your location and progress.

well I just downloaded GPS Logger for my Motorola Razer MAX Droid phone. It makes GPX files on the SD Card and has a variable timer to select how often it takes a reading (1 - 9999 sec). It can also be told to ignore anything but the GPS. The files can either be downloaded to a computer, or read directly using Google Earth. The GPX file records the time, LONG, LAT, Bearing, and speed. Since it imports into Google Earth, I would also suspect that it would also import into Google Maps too.

BTW on your Garmin, how do you keep it powered on the ship??

That is great! It will be wonderful to be able to plot our course on Google Earth after the cruise. Great to know that it can be told to only use the phone's GPS, so no data charges will be incurred.

My Droid 2 uses a mini USB connector, and so I can charge both it and my Garmin from the same charger (one at a time obviously).

• 2 weeks later...

Well I downloaded GPS Tracker for my Motorola Droid Razer Max and tested it around home before I left. When I reached the ship I was all set to set the phone in the room and let the tracker do its thing. Well the only place I could get reception was out on the balcony - I was on the aft of the ship on deck 10 of 11 (deck 12 was an open air dining area). To make a long story short the only places I was able to use the ap was on the train to Carcross, the Van ride back, and the Amtrak ride home.

Well I downloaded GPS Tracker for my Motorola Droid Razer Max and tested it around home before I left. When I reached the ship I was all set to set the phone in the room and let the tracker do its thing. Well the only place I could get reception was out on the balcony - I was on the aft of the ship on deck 10 of 11 (deck 12 was an open air dining area). To make a long story short the only places I was able to use the ap was on the train to Carcross, the Van ride back, and the Amtrak ride home.

Ahhhh, I was wondering if that would happen. I had brought a dedicated GPS unit (Garmin) on a prior cruise, and had a lot of difficulty getting a fix, even when standing out on the open balcony. It worked fine when on the top deck, with an absolutely clear view of the sky.

I had the same question and found an Android gps program that allows you to download maps ahead of time, then just use the gps sats when you are traveling. No need for a cell connection. It is free for the basic app, with upgrade possible. Have not used it much, so cannot tell how good it will be, but might be worth a try.

It is called Navfree USA and is available at the Play Store.

Of course, it is subject to how well your phone gps works, as previously explained.

Archived