Houston cruise terminal

I know this isn't Carnival specific but I was wondering if the Houston cruise terminal is being used?? I haven't heard anything about it since Hurricane Ike.

Host, Please delete after I get an answer so I don't clog up this site. Also, is it possible to delete a thread if you are the original OP.

I love reading the posts of everyone (well almost everyone) Thank you for all of your help and expertise.

I know this isn't Carnival specific but I was wondering if the Houston cruise terminal is being used?? I haven't heard anything about it since Hurricane Ike.

Host, Please delete after I get an answer so I don't clog up this site. Also, is it possible to delete a thread if you are the original OP.

I love reading the posts of everyone (well almost everyone) Thank you for all of your help and expertise.

The Houston Cruise Terminal was one of the biggest waste of taxpayer monies to date. The only time it has has ever been used was right after Ike when Galveston was down. I have no idea why the even built it with out getting any cruise line to come there before it was built.

The Houston Cruise Terminal was one of the biggest waste of taxpayer monies to date. The only time it has has ever been used was right after Ike when Galveston was down. I have no idea why the even built it with out getting any cruise line to come there before it was built.

A serious mistake for sure without a commitment upfront. No one wants to add two hours to their fuel bill to get out of the channel. Also probably further delays if there is fog.

An interesting aside, I was watching the Magic leave yesterday and clicked on the 'port of Galveston' website. It would seem to me that they are way underestimating the amount of economic impact on the city and the spending by cruisers in Galveston.

What made me think about it, was Tampa contemplating getting bigger ships by moving the cruise port outside the bridge. I just think the math doesn't make sense.

Hugh in Dallas

I took NCL out of the Houston terminal in 2005. Driving in from Dallas it cut travel time down and I thought it was easier access than Galveston. I just couldn't understand why it was there since the established cruise terminal was so close in Galveston. Maybe they anticipate more cruse lines sailing from Texas. A cruise terminal in Corpus Christi would make sense to me because it would allow for more port variety in the 4,5, or 7 day time frame.

Its a Ghost town. From what I heard cruise lines don't use it because of the time it takes to get from it out to sea. Not sure that is true or nto though.

Yes it takes longer to get out to sea from the Houston Cruise Terminal. Also it is in a area that has little to none hotels and restaurants to service the customers that usually arrive a day or so before the cruise.

I took NCL out of the Houston terminal in 2005. Driving in from Dallas it cut travel time down and I thought it was easier access than Galveston. I just couldn't understand why it was there since the established cruise terminal was so close in Galveston. Maybe they anticipate more cruse lines sailing from Texas. A cruise terminal in Corpus Christi would make sense to me because it would allow for more port variety in the 4,5, or 7 day time frame.

I think Corpus Christi would end up being like Mobile. Siphoning off from Galveston but not enough other cruisers to support it.

It would also be further around the horn to Cozumel, so it would offer fewer options. I'm not sure Veracruz would be a big draw for people. That would be the one that I could think of.

Hugh in Dallas.

They have been talking to every cruise line since it opened and none want to sail from there. Here are few reasons, it takes 3 hours to get to sea from the Bayport terminal, longer travel means less revenue for the ship because when in American waters they must pay taxes on all alcohol served on the ship. Also it cost more for the "Pilot", it cost more in fuel to travel down the ship channel, when weather is bad ie: fog it takes longer to get into port again costing the cruise line even more money.

It is costing the Port Authority half a million dollars a year just to secure and maintain the port.

They have been talking to every cruise line since it opened and none want to sail from there. Here are few reasons, it takes 3 hours to get to sea from the Bayport terminal, longer travel means less revenue for the ship because when in American waters they must pay taxes on all alcohol served on the ship. Also it cost more for the "Pilot", it cost more in fuel to travel down the ship channel, when weather is bad ie: fog it takes longer to get into port again costing the cruise line even more money.

It is costing the Port Authority half a million dollars a year just to secure and maintain the port.

For the premium that RCCL and CCl get for cruising out of Galveston I think the costs can be offset. Also the cruiser pays the Tax on Alcohol not the cruiseline.

If Princess and Disney make money this winter never know more ships may come

But for me and our visiting friends it would be a shorter drive to POH than Galveston. Thats all that matters to me:D:p

For the premium that RCCL and CCl get for cruising out of Galveston I think the costs can be offset. Also the cruiser pays the Tax on Alcohol not the cruiseline.

If Princess and Disney make money this winter never know more ships may come

But for me and our visiting friends it would be a shorter drive to POH than Galveston. Thats all that matters to me:D:p

Last year they offered all kinds of incentives and tax breaks and all of the cruise lines told them, thanks but no.

We sailed NCL in 2006 from POH we stayed in La Porte so was a bit closer to the port

But if you got stuck on the way into the terminal by the train you just had to sit there ;)

We had only taken a four nighter from Galveston on the Celebration when X Galaxy was there. I really regret not booking a 10 day into the canal from Galveston.

It does seem to me that Florida is way over saturated with ships right now in the winter. I'd like to see either X or HAL come to either Houston or Galveston.

Hugh in Dallas

Last year they offered all kinds of incentives and tax breaks and all of the cruise lines told them, thanks but no.

True currently, But what the future holds who knows. Galveston doesnt have room on the weekends for another ship during the winter.

So If another ship came it would have to be during the week. BUt weekend 7 day cruise is more profitable

CCL has a ship every other thursday/monday and Disney has a ship every other friday. So it is possible but those are 5&8 day cruises

From what I understand, the city of Pasadena ( where this terminal is located) was going to develop the area with hotels, restaurants and other attractions. Something huge fell through and it never happened. Not sure what it was that fell through but I know in that area there are a lot of entities whose boundaries the land around the terminal crosses ( unincorporated areas, different cities, corporations).

I believe those in the greater Houston area still want this terminal to be successful and are working to make it viable.

NCL sailed the Dream from there before Katrina. After Katrina, the Sun replaced the Dream.

The fuel cost argument is not valid when you consider that it takes 6-7 hours to get out of the Mississippi River. A least the MS River with all it turns and curves does not get shut down due to fog. The ship's computer can pretty much navigate based on waypoints.

Dave

Archived