Best excursion in st. Martin?

Tybro

Hi all,

We're going to St. Martin next week and enjoy snorkeling, wave runners, swimming. Also like to shop. Would like advice from any that have been on the excursions on which they'd recommend for the one day we'll be here.

Thanks

GG

Hi all,

We're going to St. Martin next week and enjoy snorkeling, wave runners, swimming. Also like to shop. Would like advice from any that have been on the excursions on which they'd recommend for the one day we'll be here.

Thanks

GG

We had a great time snorkeling out at Creole Rock with Seb. Here is there website. http://www.snorkel-trips-sxm.com/

Thanks, sorry I msised your post but glad you had a great time!

I think that you must have me confused with someone else. We did not go on a recommendation from this board but during a stay at the Grand Case Beach Club back in 2010.

I've been looking at the Yachting Race or sailing in the Lagoon on the small sailboats where you can hire a captain. Has anyone done either of these two activities and if yes, would you recommend them?

Have not done these but if interested in a 1/2 day sail right of the cruise ship harbor we enjoyed the Golden Eagle sail to Tintamarre Island and along thecoast so much that we returned for a longer stay on SXM and took their full day Friday Farewell tour that was also great and included Creole Rock. Just an excellent crew and plenty of quality beers and rum and a very good lunch. You can book through the ship, not sure about direct bookings

Sailingsxm.com

I've been looking at the Yachting Race or sailing in the Lagoon on the small sailboats where you can hire a captain. Has anyone done either of these two activities and if yes, would you recommend them?

Done the yachting race many many times with several lines. It is a blast. Not to be missed. The are things to do for both the athletic and the chair athletes as well. You do not have to be a fitness buff to have a blast. Highly recommend it.

Done the yachting race many many times with several lines. It is a blast. Not to be missed. The are things to do for both the athletic and the chair athletes as well. You do not have to be a fitness buff to have a blast. Highly recommend it.

I've heard it's fun. Did you notice anyone having any issues with motion sickness?

Have not done these but if interested in a 1/2 day sail right of the cruise ship harbor we enjoyed the Golden Eagle sail to Tintamarre Island and along thecoast so much that we returned for a longer stay on SXM and took their full day Friday Farewell tour that was also great and included Creole Rock. Just an excellent crew and plenty of quality beers and rum and a very good lunch. You can book through the ship, not sure about direct bookings

Sailingsxm.com

Creole Rock is a great place to snorkel but according to the GE website only the Tuesday full day Echo tour stops there. It may be because they are limiting who is allowed to go to Creole Rock now. If I chose to go back and snorkel at Creole Rock I would take the 2 hour snorkel tour from Creole Rock watersports. They do 3 trips out to Creole Rock on a daily basis so they know the Rock really well and give a very informative snorkeling tour. Here's the website for those looking for a great snorkeling excursion. http://www.snorkel-trips-sxm.com/

Creole Rock is a great place to snorkel but according to the GE website only the Tuesday full day Echo tour stops there. It may be because they are limiting who is allowed to go to Creole Rock now. If I chose to go back and snorkel at Creole Rock I would take the 2 hour snorkel tour from Creole Rock watersports. They do 3 trips out to Creole Rock on a daily basis so they know the Rock really well and give a very informative snorkeling tour. Here's the website for those looking for a great snorkeling excursion. http://www.snorkel-trips-sxm.com/

Yes it is only available with them on the full day sail that circles the entire island. We then had a fantastic lunch in Grand Case thst was just amazing, Grand Case really is the Caribbean cuisine center. For the 1/2 day sail Tintamarre is our favorite stop for drinks served in the water while you're floating.

Just an fyi, we had organized a TTOL meet & greet for the full day sail and it was a blast. A great Brazilian restaurant sponsored our get together Thursday nite and provided free snacks and discounted drinks. We all met at the dock Fri AM, the weather was wet and cold and many in the group backed out. Those of us who stayed were treated to one our best days on the water ever. If you ever stay on SXM or in the BVI do hook up with fellow TTOL travelers for a great time (traveltalkonline.com). Much better that a typical cruise roll call M&G (if you're on a land-based vaca).

Regarding the yacht racing, Antigua and the BVI are the premier sailing spots but SXM is one beautiful place to enjoy a cat sail around the island and to Tintamarre. Antigua is the place to experience the thrill of cup racing, we haven't yet tried it but friends have and we will try it there next time we stay there. We were there in Falmouth Harbor one year during the America's Cup and it was something to see these racing sailboats in action. It must be a thrill to be on one!

Yes it is only available with them on the full day sail that circles the entire island. We then had a fantastic lunch in Grand Case thst was just amazing, Grand Case really is the Caribbean cuisine center. For the 1/2 day sail Tintamarre is our favorite stop for drinks served in the water while you're floating.

Just an fyi, we had organized a TTOL meet & greet for the full day sail and it was a blast. A great Brazilian restaurant sponsored our get together Thursday nite and provided free snacks and discounted drinks. We all met at the dock Fri AM, the weather was wet and cold and many in the group backed out. Those of us who stayed were treated to one our best days on the water ever. If you ever stay on SXM or in the BVI do hook up with fellow TTOL travelers for a great time (traveltalkonline.com). Much better that a typical cruise roll call M&G (if you're on a land-based vaca).

Regarding the yacht racing, Antigua and the BVI are the premier sailing spots but SXM is one beautiful place to enjoy a cat sail around the island and to Tintamarre. Antigua is the place to experience the thrill of cup racing, we haven't yet tried it but friends have and we will try it there next time we stay there. We were there in Falmouth Harbor one year during the America's Cup and it was something to see these racing sailboats in action. It must be a thrill to be on one!

The St. Maarten America's Cup - 12 Metre Challenge is on many of the "Top 10 Caribbean" excursions lists over the years. My concern with this excursion is that one of our DD's may get motion sickness from it. She has had episodes of motion sickness on cruiseships and on the winding roads of Dominica. The sail in the Lagoon would be more up her alley but I know that DH would love it.

Yes it probably is one of the top picks for cruise excursion options, not often you can experience that first-hand.

I can tell you that our first 2 cat sails around SXM we had 7 - 8 ft waves and more than a few people became sick including my sister and her hubby and that was on a cat. Not fun for them, but more drinks for us on Tintamarre!:p

I know I wouldn't recommend it to someone prone to motion sickness, but it's their choice.

Try posting on the SXM forum on TTOL for a quick answer from experts there.

Yes it probably is one of the top picks for cruise excursion options, not often you can experience that first-hand.

I can tell you that our first 2 cat sails around SXM we had 7 - 8 ft waves and more than a few people became sick including my sister and her hubby and that was on a cat. Not fun for them, but more drinks for us on Tintamarre!:p

I know I wouldn't recommend it to someone prone to motion sickness, but it's their choice.

Thanks, I'll look more in to the lagoon sailing.

I'm confused, as this seems to reference both the America's Cup and The Golden Eagle.

Both obviously depend on the weather of the moment and the days prior, but if you're going around the island, then it's the Golden Eagle, and they haven't called on Tintamaare or Creole Rock for a while because of French-side Government regulations.

Sometimes the America's Cup 12 Metre

gary

Thanks, I'll look more in to the lagoon sailing.

The sailing yachts may be much less prone to that movement in rougher waters and we were unlucky with the sea swells so don't rely on my limited experience, you may be just fine karysa.

Someone else said the GE isn't currently going to Tintamarre and others report they did go there so that is confusing. if that's the case they should update their site. Still one of our favorite excursions in sxm.

Archived