Afraid of Feeling Foolish at the Gym

I agree with the others about starting a "major" exercise routine on a ship's gym. I don't now that I'd advise that so much due to what was mentioned about being sore, etc.

Another suggestion to keep up with some type of physical activity is to walk more or participate in more activities..One thing I liked about the NCL ships a few years ago is that they used to have "exercise incentive" classes to earn prizes. You'd get points if you joined the early morning group walk on the deck, points if you attended a yoga class, etc then earn prizes. I don't know what ships do that anymore but it might be worth looking into.

Granted, you could be sore from classes too, I guess mindefulness is the key. The other thing I didn't like about the ship gyms is that they were typically crowded during the times I wanted to go (early in the morning, just before dinner)

I agree with the others about starting a "major" exercise routine on a ship's gym. I don't now that I'd advise that so much due to what was mentioned about being sore, etc.

Another suggestion to keep up with some type of physical activity is to walk more or participate in more activities..One thing I liked about the NCL ships a few years ago is that they used to have "exercise incentive" classes to earn prizes. You'd get points if you joined the early morning group walk on the deck, points if you attended a yoga class, etc then earn prizes. I don't know what ships do that anymore but it might be worth looking into.

Granted, you could be sore from classes too, I guess mindefulness is the key. The other thing I didn't like about the ship gyms is that they were typically crowded during the times I wanted to go (early in the morning, just before dinner)

I will show show my age here by asking a question. How many people remember the RCL exercise incentive program called "ship shape"? This was before ships had the gyms. You got some kind of exercise "money" for activities like walking around the deck, aerobic classes, etc. Classes were held in showrooms on aft deck. You exchanged the monopoly money earned for yellow T shirts and visors. We used to have several of those shirts and visors.

I will show show my age here by asking a question. How many people remember the RCL exercise incentive program called "ship shape"? This was before ships had the gyms. You got some kind of exercise "money" for activities like walking around the deck, aerobic classes, etc. Classes were held in showrooms on aft deck. You exchanged the monopoly money earned for yellow T shirts and visors. We used to have several of those shirts and visors.

OK!

I'll play this game with you! Not only did I earn a yellow T-shirt, but I earned it on.... the Sovereign of the Seas!... when my DD was still in high school (who just celebrated her 40th birthday and has given us a wonderful grandson who had an 11-th birthday in January!).

So, how's that for "showing my age?" :D

I was on the Norwegian Sky in 2005 and they had gyms and the classes..and the Norway (my first cruise) had a small workout "gym" too. One of the upper decks was more like a "track", and the group met for a walk with the cruise director at 7 and we had to do something like 8 laps and get our card punched..then if you went to any class that was part of the program they punched the card and at the end of the week collected prizes which were tshirts, etc The more classes you went to, the more punches you got. I liked the idea because the gym was so crowded and it was a fun challenge.

OK!

I'll play this game with you! Not only did I earn a yellow T-shirt, but I earned it on.... the Sovereign of the Seas!... when my DD was still in high school (who just celebrated her 40th birthday and has given us a wonderful grandson who had an 11-th birthday in January!).

So, how's that for "showing my age?" :D

I'm the DD and I got the yellow shirt! AND I got the resistance bands...which I STILL have btw!

I jump started my healthy lifestyle changes on a 28 day cruise in February. We had lots of sea days so I bought a Pilates and Yoga package. It was well worth it. Small group because there was a fee and I never had to get there early and fight for floor space as in the morning stretch class that was free. Lots of one one one instruction from Tara & Phil on the Diamond. I was a newby to this kind of exercise but because I bought the package it commited me. I learned that my 4 day a week Curves workout was not getting me in the shape I was in at the end of the cruise. I was able to handle the squatty pottys in Asia as the result of all the core excercises. I ate a small amount of yogurt and fruit before excercising and would make a fruit or cucumber water everyday to take with me in a waterbottle. There are Lots of healthy food options. Bread is my weakness, so I limited myself to once per day and only one dessert per day. I now miss having all the fresh fruit and salad fixings cut up for me. At dinner I limited the starch and asked for extra vegies. Cut out all diet soda as recommended on the Daniel Plan because it stimulates your desire for carbs. I made my own herb icetea from their selections.

I could have eaten anything I wanted and slept till noon but I chose not to and take advantage of the opportunity to make changes and you can too!

Archived