Afraid of Feeling Foolish at the Gym

I've never been to a gym either on land, or at sea, but I'd like to use the gym this summer when we're on the Freedom. I'm hoping that the day we arrive there will be a sort of open house at the gym where I can get my questions answered, but I'm a bit timid about it, not knowing the first thing about gyms at all.

How helpful do you think the staff will be as far as showing me different machines and how to use them? I've read that some of the machines are free to use while others have a fee, so I wouldn't want to use something that has a fee without knowing it first. I have a treadmill at home and it's pretty self-explanitory, but I'm not sure theirs will be. If all the treadmills are full, what's the protocol for waiting for the next one?

Are you supposed to tip the gym staff, and if so, in what manner is it done?

What is considered proper gym attire? I'll end up buying something, since at home I just wear old shorts and a tank top...not something I'd be comfortable being seen in public in! Any specific suggestions would be appreciated.

Locker room? Do I really need to go in there? Do most people just go straight to the gym from their room and back?

Anything else I'm not thinking about?

Thanks!

As long as you wear proper footwear, you will be fine. :). There's always an interesting array of attire in the gym:D

There are a number of paid fitness classes, but use of the main gym, and all of then equipment in it, is included in your fare. There are spinning cycles in the studio, and those are only supposed to be used during the classes (which cost $10-12).

There is always somebody there, but to be honest, I don't know how helpful they are, since I've never asked them for anything. Most of the equipment is computerized and will guide you through starting up (you usually have to press the "start" button to begin), but I imagine that the staff will help you (and I wouldn't tip them for it). The passenger on the machine next to you also may prove helpful. :)

I recommend that you not use any of the weight equipment if you haven't had any experience. It's always a good idea to have somebody show you the proper technique to avoid injury.

I know that there are spa tours on the first day, and I think they will pass through the gym. But those tours are designed to get you to pay for services, one of which is a personal training session or series of sessions. If you think that you want to continue a fitness regimen once you're on land, it might not be a bad investment. My worry is always that the trainer may not be particularly well-qualified.

And I need, to use the locker room unless you need to use the facilities.

The gym tends to be most crowded on the first sea day in the morning. If the machines are full, you just hover until one opens up - there's no sign up sheet that I've ever seen. I usually go after lunch has settled and seldom see a crowd o the larger ships.

Hope that helps a bit...

Just to give you a little reassurance, I regularly go to the gym at home & on vacation but if a resort or cruise ship uses a brand of equipment i've never used before it takes me a few minutes to figure out each machine. Just take your time & don't stress about it most people will be happy to help if you need it.

As for attire, you can pick up some cute and inexpensive gear at target. Don't skimpy on sneakers though. I usually wear capri length yoga pants and a running top but see people in all kinds of outfits at the gym.

I go to the gym regularly, and I can throw out a couple hints:

- If you intend to watch TV while you're on the treadmill or stepper, bring your own ear buds. They won't be provided.

- VERY IMPORTANT: When you finish with any machine, wipe it down well for the next person. Cleaning spray and towels will be provided.

- Weight machines are actually very easy to use. They have instructions that show you what to do. For most machines, look down by your side and see a little pin. That adjusts your weight load up or down.

- I never have to wait for machines at my gym, but the ship can get busy at prime-times. I like to do cardio first, but if I can't get a machine, I'll lift first and keep an eye out for an eliptical to come open. It's considered polite not to go more than 30 minutes on a cardio machine IF others are waiting.

- Don't forget your water bottle. I suggest that you bring one reusable bottle from home and refill it -- lighter to transport and better for the environment. You'll almost always have a water fountain or a refill spigot in a gym.

- If you're nervous about not knowing how to use the machines, choose to take a class. The instructor'll greet you and give you some instruction before you begin; since no one is used to this particular equipment, everyone'll need the instruction.

I go to the gym regularly, and I can throw out a couple hints:

- If you intend to watch TV while you're on the treadmill or stepper, bring your own ear buds. They won't be provided.

- VERY IMPORTANT: When you finish with any machine, wipe it down well for the next person. Cleaning spray and towels will be provided.

- Weight machines are actually very easy to use. They have instructions that show you what to do. For most machines, look down by your side and see a little pin. That adjusts your weight load up or down.

- I never have to wait for machines at my gym, but the ship can get busy at prime-times. I like to do cardio first, but if I can't get a machine, I'll lift first and keep an eye out for an eliptical to come open. It's considered polite not to go more than 30 minutes on a cardio machine IF others are waiting.

- Don't forget your water bottle. I suggest that you bring one reusable bottle from home and refill it -- lighter to transport and better for the environment. You'll almost always have a water fountain or a refill spigot in a gym.

- If you're nervous about not knowing how to use the machines, choose to take a class. The instructor'll greet you and give you some instruction before you begin; since no one is used to this particular equipment, everyone'll need the instruction.

I have never seen spray and towels in an RC gym. They have moist wipes.

Why start on vacation???? All you need are closed toe shoes....shorts/top...that's it.

This really isn't the time to get into major exercise....you could be too sore to enjoy the rest of your trip!

Kudos for wanting to "get in shape", but this might not be the proper time and place! Go to a gym at home and get the soreness over with BEFORE you vacation!

OP - thanks for posting your questions as some of them have been on my mine.

I also have a fitness center related question. I just started a yoga program and am really not very good but my instructor lets me modify moves. I want to participate in the yoga classes on board but don't want to look foolish or be forced to do something I'm not ready to do. Are the yoga classes only for advanced participants?

Why start on vacation???? All you need are closed toe shoes....shorts/top...that's it.

This really isn't the time to get into major exercise....you could be too sore to enjoy the rest of your trip!

Kudos for wanting to "get in shape", but this might not be the proper time and place! Go to a gym at home and get the soreness over with BEFORE you vacation!

I agree. A ship gym is not the ideal place to begin an exercise program.

Why don't you make use of the walking/jogging track and make good use of the stairs.

Seriously there is nothing nicer then a brisk walk on the track.

Why don't you make use of the walking/jogging track and make good use of the stairs.

Seriously there is nothing nicer then a brisk walk on the track.

I agree! And sometimes when it is too windy to walk on the track, I just walk the interior halls of the ship. It is a fun way to explore the ship.

Also, be aware that the gym/spa people always want to sell you something! I once paid for an hour with a personal trainer on the ship. For most of the hour the trainer kept pushing me to buy a detox program.

Agree whole-heartedly with this. I'm a regular gym user at home (office actually) so it's no longer an issue, but when people first start they get stiff and sore for days. Not the way to spend your vacation.

Either start before you go or just do something mild. A cruise ship would not be fun if you have trouble walking and climbing stairs!

Thank you so much! Everyone here is so very kind :)! I didn't know about the earbuds or wiping machines down, and probably would have forgotten a water bottle. Come to think of it, I probably need new shoes soon, too, so I'll work on that next week so I can get them worn in a bit.

I didn't go into a lot of detail earlier, but I have lost 25 pounds in the last six months, yes, very slowly, mostly by changing my eating habits and using my treadmill off and on, depending on how busy my schedule is. I'm aiming for another five pounds to reach my pre-baby weight, something I should have done 17 years ago :eek:! I really would like to keep up the exercise habit if at all possible, and I figure with three sea days I can't possibly not find an hour to walk. I do plan on walking all over the ship and making use of the walking track, but I also like the steady pace and uphill action I can get from the machine.

I have been doing some basic dumbell weight exercises just from looking at DVDs and some YouTube videos and hope I'm doing them correctly. I wouldn't mind a weight training class if it's something I can do at home. I'll probably never set foot in a gym later, I just don't have the time for it.

Now to find some shorts or capris I feel comfortable in. My shape isn't terrible (could be better), but my legs are white, veiny (is that a word?) and splotchy! Hmmm...spray tan? Never tried it before...

Thank you so much! Everyone here is so very kind :)! I didn't know about the earbuds or wiping machines down, and probably would have forgotten a water bottle. Come to think of it, I probably need new shoes soon, too, so I'll work on that next week so I can get them worn in a bit.

I didn't go into a lot of detail earlier, but I have lost 25 pounds in the last six months, yes, very slowly, mostly by changing my eating habits and using my treadmill off and on, depending on how busy my schedule is. I'm aiming for another five pounds to reach my pre-baby weight, something I should have done 17 years ago :eek:! I really would like to keep up the exercise habit if at all possible, and I figure with three sea days I can't possibly not find an hour to walk. I do plan on walking all over the ship and making use of the walking track, but I also like the steady pace and uphill action I can get from the machine.

I have been doing some basic dumbell weight exercises just from looking at DVDs and some YouTube videos and hope I'm doing them correctly. I wouldn't mind a weight training class if it's something I can do at home. I'll probably never set foot in a gym later, I just don't have the time for it.

Now to find some shorts or capris I feel comfortable in. My shape isn't terrible (could be better), but my legs are white, veiny (is that a word?) and splotchy! Hmmm...spray tan? Never tried it before...

You will be fine. I work out hard 6 days a week at home, freewights mostly, so I have gotten to the point where I don't feel good if I don't do some cardio and lifting. I ususally get to the gym at 6:30 in the morning and leave at about 8, before it gets too crowded. You will see everything from bodybuilders to 70 year olds in the fitness center. You just can't be self conscious.

Keep in mind, all of us had to start somewhere, and props to you for trying to improve yourself instead of planting in the Windjammer! Have a GREAT cruise!

One other thing to be aware of... The ship moves! Depending on where the equipment is located, it might be tricky to run if the seas are bad. I had to stop using the treadmill on the Allure after a few minutes because I kept nearly falling off! The gym was in the bow and the treadmills were kind of angled. The seas were insanely rough. I was quite surprised at this and I am a fairly experienced runner. The elliptical and stair master were fine, though.

Congrats on the weight loss! That's so awesome! I have never used spray tan before, so don't know anything about it. I use Jergens self-tanning lotion. Inexpensive and adds some color without turning your skin orange.

I have been doing some basic dumbell weight exercises just from looking at DVDs and some YouTube videos and hope I'm doing them correctly. I wouldn't mind a weight training class if it's something I can do at home. I'll probably never set foot in a gym later, I just don't have the time for

Now to find some shorts or capris I feel comfortable in. My shape isn't terrible

(could be better), but my legs are white, veiny (is that a word?) and splotchy!

Hmmm...spray tan? Never tried it before...

I think you will be fine at the gym, I would just practice moderation so you aren't sore on your cruise. I always use the gym while cruising even when I am not working out on a regular basis at home. (I tend to go in spurts depending on my schedule & motivation). Anyway, I eat so much more while on vacation and I don't have the best metabolism so I think exercising keeps me from gaining 5 extra pounds while on vacation..

There are some great tips here. I really wouldn't stress, you will find that there are people of all ages, sizes, and experience levels in the gyms on board.

Good luck and enjoy your trip. :)

On RCI, they don't have the individual TV sets, at least not on the ship's I've sailed on. Everything else you said is spot on.:)

I have never seen spray and towels in an RC gym. They have moist wipes.

Same here.

OP, there's no time like the present to start working out. A cruise ship is a good a place to start as any. Congrats on your weight loss - I've lost 24 pounds over the past couple of years, so I feel your pain, LOL.

If you've never been to a gym in your life this is the wrong time to start. You may be sore or get injured and why take a chance on ruining your vacation. As much as I am all for staying healthy please consider joining a gym at home.

As far as the staff being helpful......I am not sure about using the equipment and if someone is there to help, but I do know they are most helpful when they have products and treatments to sell you.

I also congratulate you on the weight loss, good work. A couple of points, you mentioned use of the locker room, it is not required, however they often have sauna's and steam rooms that I enjoy and feel great when I come out. Attire varies by individual choice in this area, but it is a nice feature.

I also agree that if you choose to try the weights you will want to make sure and go into that slowly. It is very easy to get sore and adversely impact your trip.

I have always enjoyed the gyms on ship and love getting up early in the morning for a little time there. Standing at the top of the ship on a treadmill as the ship comes into port is kinda neat.

Since you have used a treadmill at home, don't hesitate to use the fitness center. Believe me, there are all kinds in the ship's fitness center. If you are self conscious the first time, I doubt you will be the second.

I work out regularly, so I am pretty familiar with the type of equipment they have. It may, however, be a little confusing to get started if you have only used a home treadmill. I really haven't needed their help, but the attendants always seem to be around, and seemed to be helpful. I am sure they will help you get the treadmill started if that is what you want to use. They also will show you how to use other machines if you are interested. Since is it a machine you haven't used before, start slow and work up to where you feel comfortable. I encourage you to use the center, but agree you should not try to do a lot of things you have never cone before. A little soreness I wouldn't worry about, but you don't want to get hurt.

The advantage [to me] of working in the gym [as opposed to walking/running the track] is (a) it is similar to what I do at home; and (b) you can watch TV -- I like the distraction.

Good luck -- enjoy the cruise. Here is a picture of the center on Independence [should be identical to Freedom]:

DSC00107.jpg?t=1310008226

Good for you for wanting to take advantage of the gym on the ship. I am a person that goes to the gym on a regular basis, although I have been on a break for a couple of months. Grrr - guess I need to get back! Anyway, the gyms on the ships are quite nice. Take it slow and don't do too much. You surely don't want to be sore and not be able to walk while on vacation. As someone said, if the machines are different from my regular gym I need to take a couple of minutes to figure out how to use them. Not to worry, other passengers are usually more than happy to help.

Also, I took yoga on a ship and it seems like everyone worked at their own pace. I position myself in the back as my balance isn't great and I don't want to be a distraction for others.

Sometimes I will walk the entire ship at one time instead of going to the gym. Here's what I do: walk up 1 flight then around the deck then up to the next deck and around. It's a fun way to exercise and I don't get bored. I have to admit that coming down the stairs is a lot more fun than going up!

Have fun and enjoy your cruise!

No need to worry, you will be fine. Contrary to perceptions, most land based gyms (and all cruise ship gyms) are not overrun by body builders and perfect bodies. The land gyms have a cross section of people and the ship gym will have your fellow passengers. A tshirt and shorts are normal. I do not invest a lot of $$ on clothing that I am going to sweat in. Just wear proper gym shoes.

From what you describe, you pretty much already know what to do. The newbies that stand out are those that have never exercised and get on a treadmill in heeled sandals with all of their makeup and bling. The good news is that they are gone by day 2.

I recommend sticking with your normal workout routine. There are treadmills and dumb bells, so you will be fine. That said, it is a great opportunity for you to get a fell for what a land gym would be like. Standard advice for any gym is to go very easy when trying a new machine. When finished on a machine, wipe off the human contact areas with a towel and a little disinfectant solution. (All gyms have them. They should be easy to find.)

The locker room is a personal choice. I use them because many ship locker rooms the individual showers are usually much better than a standard cabin shower. There are also saunas and steam rooms if you wish to use them. There are plenty of large towels. Locks for the lockers are procured at the spa desk. (no charge)

You can talk to the gym staff. They should answer questions, but be aware that their main job is to sell spa related activities.

Good luck.

Contrary to what some others have posted earlier...I personally think that vacation is the PERFECT time to explore the gym.

Before anyone jumps on this statement, let me explain...

It sounds like you know your way around a treadmill...and are wanting to keep up with your regular routine so that you don't lose your progress...CONGRATS btw on your accomplishment so far!...so I think you should definitely plan on using the treadmill. On the Mariner, the gym was a very nice environment...who can complain about an ocean view from a gym?

I think it would also be a great time to see if any of the gym staff would work with you to help you get to know the weight machines.

My thoughts here are this...vacation is where you take some "me" time...and while exercising may not be high on the priority list for some...and may fall into the "work" category for others...if you have a desire to do something, then taking the time to do this when you have time to do it is an excellent use of "me" time...take advantage of the beautiful setting...the lack of the everyday pressures...and learn about the machines and how they work. Think of it more as an introduction than a first time work out.

A trainer should be able to walk you through how to adjust the machines so that they are comfortable for your height, leg length, arm length, etc. Most of the machines have adjustments like this so that you will be in proper form when you use them. Learn how to adjust the weights, etc. If you think of this experience with the trainer as more of a learning experience, taking advantage of the relative ease with which you could do this compared to the effort it might take at home, you understand that you may not even do what some would call a "real workout" when you are introduced to the equipment.

You might try to do an actual work out on a different sea day...go back and test your retention on adjusting the machines and maybe do a few reps with light to moderate weights just to "test the waters"...no pun intended. You don't have to treat this as the beginning of a new exercise regime...and indeed, if you will not be following this up at home on land...you shouldn't...but you can definitely learn and explore enough to determine if this would ever be something that you would like to undertake as part of your weekly workout regimen in the future.

And definitely reward yourself for your trip to the gym by bringing your swimsuit and making use of the whirlpool, sauna and/or steam room that are a part of the gym facilities. We were members of the franchise "Lifetime Fitness" once upon a time ago...and their steam room, sauna, and whirlpools were such a treat to use after working out...it really made me feel like I was doing something good for myself...and I felt rewarded by getting to do something that I couldn't do at home. You can also see how that feels so that you can understand whether or not such an amenity would appeal to you in the future.

Thank you, Davy and Anita! Anita, you are exactly right in your assessment of my goals while on vacation. I've come to the point in my life where I actually want to exercise and eat right because it makes me feel good! I do splurge occassionaly, but in moderation, and I know that is bound to happen while I'm vacationing, so it's even more of an incentive for me to continue my new, regular lifestyle.

So what's the purpose/advantage to using a steam room or sauna? I've never done that before either, and since it's been brought up a few times, I guess I ought to try that as well. Is it just a relaxing sort of thing like a hot tub?

Also, I'm assuming that it is not customary to tip the gym staff since only one person has replied to that portion of my question in the negative? Maybe I should do a search on tipping here?

Thanks again!

I agree with you...exercising and eating right makes you feel good. I'm not sure where the mindset develops that turns physical activity into a chore, except that when you haven't been doing it for a while, or a long while, it can be physically painful to begin to move...they say detraining (the loss of physical fitness) begins around 14 days of inactivity, give or take...

So a person that takes a break before their vacation to prepare for vacation and do what all may need to be done at work or around the house, in order to leave it for an extended period, AND doesn't work out while on vacation...because they are "on vacation"...and MAY take another period of time to adjust back to "normal life" after vacation...will likely have begun the process of detraining...and will find it that much harder to get back into their exercise routine. So I seriously applaud your desire to explore something new in the way of exercise while on vacation...and encourage you in your endeavor.

I know that there are health benefits to steam and sauna...but I would have to do more research to really post about those. For me, I like the heat...sometimes I'm in the mood for the dry, sometimes the steam...with my muscles warm in the heat and previous exercise...I will sometimes do some simple stretches when I am first in these rooms...nothing major...for instance, I may cross my legs so that my foot is on my knee and then lean forward to really stretch that outer hip/buttock muscle...if there is room on the benches...do some forward bends over straight legs to really work my lower back and hamstrings, etc. Taking the time to really take care of my body...and give it a treat after working it out.

Sometimes, you can really take advantage of the steam room to do some facial treatments...in and out of the room...with your pores so wide open...it can be a real treat to just wash your face.

IDK...sometimes I would just pretend I was having a mini spa experience...the showers and bath facilities at the Lifetime Fitness were so fabulous...we were renters at the time, so I enjoyed the stand alone shower, etc at the gym...I don't recall the set up on the ship, but seriously...in some ways...making use of the bath facilities there could be a treat, if there was more room than in the staterooms.

I agree with the poster who says that a vacation is the perfect time to start trying the gym.

- You have time to do it. Obviously you shouldn't over-work yourself so that you'll be sore the next day, but you've been living in your body enough years to know your limits. Don't exceed them.

- You can try out various pieces of equipment to see if you'd like them -- without paying to join a gym. If you find out that you love the weights machines, you can seek out something at home with confidence. Or, if you don't enjoy the experience, you don't have to go through a difficult "Why do you want to leave the gym?" process.

- If you end up looking like an idiot, so what? It's not like your co-worker is three machines over noticing you and smirking. Knowing that you won't see these people again will give you confidence to try out the elipticals or whatever.

Archived