NCL Review and the Spirit TA NOLA to Barcelona

WYTinman

Now that's a review. Thanks for taking the time to share it with us. You realize of course, that you are now completely ruined--you've experienced the suite life. There was a Seinfeld episode in which Jerry and Elaine were in St. Louis and trying to get back to New York. There was only one first class seat available. Jerry said he would take that. When asked by Elaine why he should get it, he said, "you've never flown in first class. You don't know what you're missing. I have. I can't sit back there." So the suite life makes it hard to travel any other way. Thanks again and thanks for the pix.

Unfortunately for us, we had the same desire....cruise the Spirit on its next Transatlantic cruise... We wanted to do it all over again as your pictures and wonderful descriptions so accurately described. This was our 3rd cruise on The Spirit and it is our favorite ship, BUT it has been assigned to the Canary Islands and then to the Med so no TA. We are so disappointed. We have been on the Pearl and Gem and then the Epic from Barcelona to Civitavecchia...And trust me , if you LOVE the Spirit, you will not like the Epic. After a day and night in Barcelona, we eagerly boarded the Epic. It was a SHOCK. The elevators were poorly located and involved long waits and crowds of people. We missed the Promenade deck that we walked every night on the Spirit. We missed the wonderful and warm crew of the Spirit, we missed the quiet MDR and especially we did not enjoy feeling so enclosed...we were at sea , after all. On the Spirit we always caught glimpses of the sea, but on the Epic , you could be at any luxury hotel on this earth....and just pretend you were at sea...I guess it is all what one wants but if we are cruising, we want to enjoy the water views. People seemed to be having fun...there were lots of "meeting type" groups there. The crew was polite, but not warm.. granted we were only on it for 3 days (we were really glad about that frankly) but on the smaller NCL ships the warmth is there from the first day you arrive as you so well described in your trip report. We decided that the Epic had to be going somewhere that we REALLY wanted to be before we would cruise it again. In fact, we just turned down a free voucher for a cruise to the Caribbean again. We have been there before on the Pearl and the Spirit and we just didn't want to risk it on the Epic. We're looking at next year's TA to Dover and then spending some time in England again if our budget allows it. THANK YOU so much for your wonderful review and your great pictures....The review was very accurate from beginning to end and the pictures BEAUTIFUL!!! Wish we had gone to the CC gathering..we could have met you all. We really are Fans.

Thanks everyone for the kind comments.

Carnac, You are so correct on being ruined. The suite life is an experience that can't soon be forgotten. I have booked the Star TA for next year in an Aft Penthouse. I didn't want to rely on the "Up-sell fairy" for this one. Afts are so few that I had to take advantage of the availablity now rather than wait.

With that being said, I really don't think this cruise would have been any differnt for me if I had kept my original balcony cabin. The ship, crew, and the other passengers really were the highlight of the cruise.

My hats off to NCL for doing it right.

PS edit for Javinn,

Please join us on the Star next year! You accuratly expressed my fears of the Epic as my first cruise. The smaller ship was exactly what I thought cruising should be.

Wow, Tinman, great review. Loved the photos of me! Since my camera was stolen in BCN, I'm counting on snagging photos from others on the trip, esp. of Ponta Delgada. I'll get in touch with Lori.

Ours was a wonderful crossing, eh? We really lucked out on a lot of things; weather, light load, great CC members to have so much fun with.

I've been going practically non-stop since getting home from Spain, but I'm about to enjoy 2 weeks in Colorado house sitting and I'll work on my review and get it posted as well.

Enjoyed getting to know you. Not sure I can make the TA next spring, but if I can we'll enjoy more martinis!:D

PenguinScott

• 8 months later...

Mark,

That was a wonderful review. Brought back some good memories. Wish Marcel and I had gone on the tour in the Azores. Think we will try to go on one while the Star is in the Azores. The TA on the Star should be fun... wonder how many of the 2012 Spirit TA CC members will be on it this year?? Take care... we will see you for the sail away party in the Bier Garden...

Ciao,

Cheryl

Archived