Travel Agt Told Me I needed Passport for Alaskan Cruise -???

Rachel83706

i just dont understand why people who travel just dont get a passport.. They are less than 100bucks and could come in handy.. I dont know what canadian law is they may require a passport? Why not just get a passport to be safe...

What I don't understand is why you even care. Give people the facts and let them make up their own mind based on their own needs.

It is closed loop so technically no passport needed but you can not go to Frasier/Yukon on Skagway day and you can not get off ship in Victoria BC

If price is an object, just get a passport (no card)...a passport is the best form of identification. The card is for people who want to just drive thru the borders (Canada, Mexico) and/or just cruise. Can't use the card for Europe, Asia etc.

For any one way Alaska trip you certainly need a passport, and that is why that one poor cruiser was denied boarding.

Actually just getting the card would work because the only travel involved is by cruise or land (if going on a cross border excursion).

People traveling on BC/ID documents ARE allowed to exit the ship in Canadian port stops, such as Victoria. They are not allowed to cross a land border (Skagway-Canada-Skagway) with just those documents.

And FWIW, flying home in an emergency is not really a passport issue when all but one port is in the US. That port on this itinerary is Victoria, for three hours the night before the ship arrives back in Seattle. There will be very few actual emergencies where disembarking in Victoria late at night, without reservations, will get you home faster than taking your already booked return flight the next day from Seattle.

Now where is that darn "like" button:D.

This is the perfect example and answer. You can listen to everyone else on this and decide to save the $135 , you will decide to listen to others that tell you do not need a passport and then be prepared to have your mother denied, either from the cruise, or have problems. We crossed the Canadian border when on an excursion in Skagway and I got off the ship without my actual passport(not a photocopy) and had to go back and get it or the tour company would not take us.

Pennywise, pound/cruise- foolish.

If you decide to listen to others on this that disagree or use other examples and not canrubu's answer and my response, I will understand, as NOMB, but will be sad if things go wrong. Everyone, as I am, is trying to give you answers that help, but I was on a cruise that started and ended in Seattle and this is what I saw. Good luck!

It's not simply a matter of affordability. I don't buy things that I do not need.

I would say that no, a passport is not required. Canada does not require a passport to gain entry. I know this because my wife lived in the US while we were dating in the late 90s, and I never had a passport. It wasn't until after 9/11 that they started tightening up and asking for it--at US pressure. It wasn't until the US required a passport to get back in the US that Canada started requiring it--not to get in, but to guarantee that you can get back out.

So, the only way a passport would be required for this itinerary is 1) you intend to go into Canada on an excursion and try to re-enter the US, or 2) passports are required for all close-looped cruises that begin and end in the US. Since we know #2 isn't true, that leaves only #1 as the only reason why you would need a passport on this itinerary.

But!

USA and Canada share a criminal database even for very small offences (forever)

What may have been taken into account of a non US born US citizen during Naturalization may be deemed serious enough to deny that US citizen entry into another country.

This is soooo true! For instance, what you may not know, and may be more important than rather you need a passport, is that in Canada, a DUI is a felony. Canada denies entry to felons.

So, if you're a US citizen and have a DUI on your record (and got your wrist slapped, essentially, and forced to pay a small fee), you would be a felon in Canada and therefore not allowed into Canada unless you take the steps required in Canada to get an exception (sorry, I forget the exact wording they use, essentially I'm assuming you do some paperwork and pay a fee, and I think enough time has had to pass since your DUI).

I would say that no, a passport is not required. Canada does not require a passport to gain entry. I know this because my wife lived in the US while we were dating in the late 90s, and I never had a passport. It wasn't until after 9/11 that they started tightening up and asking for it--at US pressure. It wasn't until the US required a passport to get back in the US that Canada started requiring it--not to get in, but to guarantee that you can get back out.

So, the only way a passport would be required for this itinerary is 1) you intend to go into Canada on an excursion and try to re-enter the US, or 2) passports are required for all close-looped cruises that begin and end in the US. Since we know #2 isn't true, that leaves only #1 as the only reason why you would need a passport on this itinerary.

I was just on Canada's border protection website the other day and they haven't changed their entry documentation requirements for US citizens, we don't need a passport to enter, but we do need one to get back home (although in reality we'd get back home in any event after a delay).

I'm always kind of amazed that people are willing to spend 500-1000 or more on a cruise for six or seven days, but resist paying $135 for a passport that lasts ten years and gives you hassle-free entry to the entire world. It's painful up front, but it seems that if one can save for the cruise, or the cruise plus airfare, one can also save for the passport. I guess it's people's personal choice, but it always struck me as short sighted both personally and in the money department. The only way in which I can see it making sense is if for children, since they have to get new passports when they turn 16 and depending on the family, the kids may not do much travelling before needing to have the passports renewed.

Your travel agency is covering itself. If they tell you a passport is not required, and then you have to fly home for some reason or run into some kind of situation where it's needed, you could sue them for telling you otherwise. Having everyone bring a passport provides assurance that their will be no problems with entry/exit for which they could be liable. Technically, for closed loop cruises a travel card or other form of documentation (as posted above) is fine. However, if you should need to fly home suddenly from your cruise, you can't use a travel card or a birth certificate for proof of citizenship for international flights. Also, passports are just the simpler, easier way to travel. They won't be challenged or questioned, you don't have to deal with getting official records or notarized copies of anything, and you can apply for them at basically any post office or passport service center.

Did you even read my original post? (this goes for others with odd replies)

1. I have a passport - I use my passport to trips to Canada ...I used it on my last Alaska cruise on an excursion

2. My mom simply does not enjoy traveling (I just really wanted her to come on this trip with me. )... she is not in the best of health. A passport may be good for 10 years, but she may be dead in 10 years (!!) So sue me for not wanting to spend money on something she will never use :rolleyes:

3. If we have to fly home suddenly, 99.9% chance we will be in the US. IT IS AN ALASKAN CRUISE - it only stops for 4 hrs in Victoria in the middle of the night before going back to Seattle

4. I have been on this cruise before - and I KNOW certain excursions go into Canada ... I have been on one! I said this. My mom wants to enjoy the ship. She doesn't want to do any excursions.

5. I just came on here to ask because I knew I would get a quick reply while waiting for more official replies. - I would think Carnival would be a good source of information on the subject!

I didn't want to turn this into another debate on why we should have a passport! I had always been on the side of you need one :D I have one ... but now I realize why it would not make sense for some people.

Govgurl, you mentioned it might not be worth it for kids under 16 ... I think you should add the elderly to that!

What I don't understand is why you even care. Give people the facts and let them make up their own mind based on their own needs.

Actually just getting the card would work because the only travel involved is by cruise or land (if going on a cross border excursion).

FACT it is always better to travel with a passport than not.... b4 i booked my 1st 4 day bahammas cruise i bought a passport just to be safe..

FACT it is always better to travel with a passport than not.... b4 i booked my 1st 4 day bahammas cruise i bought a passport just to be safe..

That is opinion and your "fact" does not apply to everyone as everyone's needs are different. Yes, the passport is the pre-eminent travel document but that does not make it the "best" solution for every traveler when there are viable options available.

Just as an FYI 3 years ago the rules changed and if crossing a border you now need a passport. This applies for driving and flying into Canada. Though you may also use a Nexus card (this is not a passport card)

People, People, People, let me go off here...

I hope the original poster NOTICED that I posted the WEBSITE for CANADIAN BORDER PROTECTION AGENCY--AKA The Canadian Gov't official page for travellers to check what is requires and not requires to enter Canada! A little HINT here, there is info ON the page and a "Contact US" link that will allow the OP to EMAIL CPBA and ASK the question to a CPBA Official IF a passport is requires or NOT......how much easier did I make it for them?.......

Ok, I'll be a good Canadian and apologize for being a little rude, but c'mon, really, I have the OP the official Canadian gov't link so she can get a 100% accurate answer from a CPBA official......

That is opinion and your "fact" does not apply to everyone as everyone's needs are different. Yes, the passport is the pre-eminent travel document but that does not make it the "best" solution for every traveler when there are viable options available.

id rather be safe than sorry... and have my passport book .. but hey i just dont wanna have any troubles while traveling sorry op for getting off topic happy sailings!

I have sailed Carnival 2 years ago on the Spirit to Alaska. I had a passport and used it for excursions that went into Canada, but I knew of others on the ship who did not have one - and just didn't go into Canada (and stayed on the ship when we docked in Victoria.)

The ship is round trip from Seattle.

I am taking my mom on the cruise next year. It will be the exact same itinerary (except on the Miracle instead of Spirit)

Got my confirmation letter from the travel agency and the letter states a passport is required.

Is this something new? :confused:

I don't want to spend $135 for a passport my mom will never use.

No a passport is not required, and you can leave the ship in Victoria, you just cannot do a land or air crossing into Canada without a passport.

I don't believe there is any reason you have to stay on the ship in Victoria. The rule does not mean that you can not disembark in foreign ports. The same closed loop rules apply when leaving and returning to Mexico from LA. Many paasengers travel with birth certificates and picture ID. The issue arises if there is an emergency of some kind and you have to fly home (whether you are sick/injured or an emergency at home requiring your immediate return).

[quote name='misguidedangel']People, People, People, let me go off here...

I hope the original poster NOTICED that I posted the WEBSITE for CANADIAN BORDER PROTECTION AGENCY--AKA The Canadian Gov't official page for travellers to check what is requires and not requires to enter Canada! A little HINT here, there is info ON the page and a "Contact US" link that will allow the OP to EMAIL CPBA and ASK the question to a CPBA Official IF a passport is requires or NOT......how much easier did I make it for them?.......

Ok, I'll be a good Canadian and apologize for being a little rude, but c'mon, really, I have the OP the official Canadian gov't link so she can get a 100% accurate answer from a CPBA official......[/quote]

FYI - They are called CBSA (Canada Border Services Agency)

I think your thinking on getting a passport for your elderly mother who isn't likely to travel any after this cruise is valid. It's not needed for this cruise, so why spend the $135? As others have said, your TA was just covering all the bases. And yes, I have my passport, and yes, I did use it on my Alaska cruise when we went into Canada on the White Pass and Yukon rail trip, but no other time.

Ok, I'll be a good Canadian and apologize for being a little rude, but c'mon, really, I have the OP the official Canadian gov't link so she can get a 100% accurate answer from a CPBA official......[/QUOTE]

Yes, I saw it . sorry I didn't say thank you ... As I stated, I just popped on here while I waited for official replies.
But I am so sorry I started this thread. I just wanted to know if something changed I wasn't aware of ... Since I have a passport, I don't really pay attention.

At this point the thread is no longer do we need one, but a heated debate for and against.
My fault! I should have known

Ok, I'll be a good Canadian and apologize for being a little rude, but c'mon, really, I have the OP the official Canadian gov't link so she can get a 100% accurate answer from a CPBA official......[/QUOTE]

Yes, I saw it . sorry I didn't say thank you :rolleyes: ... As I stated, I just popped on here while I waited for official replies.
But I am so sorry I started this thread. I just wanted to know if something changed I wasn't aware of ... Since I have a passport, I don't really pay attention.

At this point the thread is no longer do we need one, but a heated debate for and against.
My fault! I should have known

Archived