A new interpretation for Friends of Dorothy

AttilaTheFun

Just received an email from a friend who says he now knows the origin of Friends Of Dorothy (FOD)

“You have some queer friends, Dorothy,' she said.

The queerness doesn't matter, so long as they're friends,' was the answer.”

(L. Frank Baum, author of the Oz books)

Sounds logical to me.

Love this. Thanks!

I wonder what the chances are that term FOD will be obliterated from our lexicon. Personally, I think it's time to retire it. :eek:

It is already happening, Cunard and NCL, and possibly other lines, now use GLBT. Though perhaps it should be a G BLT.

<SNIP> Though perhaps it should be a G BLT.

Oh great, now all the sandwich lovers will be coming in "Is this were we find those Great Bacon/Lettuce/Tomatos?

:eek:

I've heard Holland America is now posting them as GLBT Meeting, or something like that, and they are listed in the daily activity logs delivered to each stateroom. For a more 'traditional' line, they seem to be a bit more progressive than some other lines.

I wonder what the chances are that term FOD will be obliterated from our lexicon. Personally, I think it's time to retire it. :eek:

I think we are ready to retire it, but changing the culture of the cruiselines is not soon likely. From their point of view, they have (say on average these days) a 2,500 passenger ship and if 50 people show up at a FOD/GLBT Mixer that is typically an amazing turn-out. Usually it is far fewer.

So they are not likely to go rushing out to broadcast a gay gathering when it represents such a small % of their passenger list.

I'm pleased that most are at least including the GLBT acronym alongside FOD... little by little poor old Dorothy will be nothing more than a memory for us 'old timers.'

When we become 'old timers!' :rolleyes:

Friends Of Dorothy was created in a time and by those most in need of it. How clever of them to devise this means of identity while simultaneously tweaking the homophobic. Retaining and using the phrase pays tribute to those who coined its use. I wear the title of Friend Of Dorothy as a badge of honour.

I know people debate about whether straits are welcome at these gatherings....let me share this store from this past weekend on the Sky:

A mother and daughter came up to us during the FOD gathering....(daughter was in her early 40s) The mother is married to a gentleman who has a son who is gay and he has cut off all communications with him because of this...Several of us were able to tell our stories to them and give them support with an issue that is obviously upsetting them and the family. We ended up giving them our home contact info to be a further support to them....They were very sweet and a lot of fun....I'd hate to limit our cruise experience to just gay peeps....

:)

Archived