Formal Night Dress

crusader

Hi,

I will be sailing on the QM2 and I have a few questions on dress.

My husband will be wearing a dark suit on formal nights... With a dressy white shirt .. a black tie and a black bow tie another evening.

I assume he will be allowed in the Princess Grill for dinner ..I had read that dark suits are acceptable..

Also I read that only men in Tuxedos are allowed at the Black and White Ball.

Tell me what you have seen on previous cruises.

Thks in advance

Hi,

I will be sailing on the QM2 and I have a few questions on dress.

My husband will be wearing a dark suit on formal nights... With a dressy white shirt .. a black tie and a black bow tie another evening.

I assume he will be allowed in the Princess Grill for dinner ..I had read that dark suits are acceptable..

Also I read that only men in Tuxedos are allowed at the Black and White Ball.

Tell me what you have seen on previous cruises.

Thks in advance

Yes, a dark suit is acceptable for formal night. You will see more tuxes on Cunard than on many other lines, but a dark suit is within their definition of dress for a formal night.

No, he will not be banned from the Black and White Ball if he's wearing the suit instead of a tux.

Enjoy your cruise!

Hi,

Thanks so much for your quick response.

Now I can go and not feel that I would have to abandon my husband on a formal night. Only kidding but thanks so much..

Francine

My impression after 3 cruises is that about 80% of the men wear tuxedos or dinner jacket on formal nights. I do too, but on my first cruise my darkest suit was a dark brown one, no problem at all. I didnt dare to go to the B&W ball, though!

Please let me clear up a misconception re Black and White Ball night.

First no one has to only wear Black and White, I have even seen a Cunard Hostess in a RED dress that night.

Second the so called Ball is only a dance session that starts at around 9.45p.m and last about an hour, the Queens room does have decorations in Black and White but that is the only room done in these colours.

This comment also refers to any other Ball night, Masquerade, Pirate, Victoriana, given the restrictions involved in flying most passengers no longer bring "costumes", even Ascot night you rarely see the extravagant flowery hats of the "old days"

Wear your formal dress wear , the main thing to remember is cruising on the Queens is not the place to wear torn jeans, tank tops, and flipflops after 6p.m (although I have seen that,indeed on the QV in Feb the couple just ahead of me going into early dinner several days into the cruise, were in fact dressed just like that , and the MaitreD' just looked the other way.).

Have a great trip

Lynn

This everyone for the great comments.

I understand what you are all saying.

I feel much better now and am looking forward to our cruise and dressing up even if my husband does not have a tux. We still make a presentable couple.

We always wear decent clothes in the evening..As senior citizens flip flops are not part of our anytime dress.

You are all a great group.

Francine

He will be fine in a dark suit on formal nights. I would not wear a black bow tie with a normal suit though. As you seel from my avatar, I don't always follow the rules. White tux and blue bow tie :eek:

I have seen a ladiy in very bright red dress having a great time at a black and white ball so no need to worry about that. :)

I hope you have a great cruise.

Archived