should I bring the stroller?

reallyexcited

my youngest will be 3 1/2 when we cruise in July. ( also have a 7 and 10 year old) We brought the smaller stroller ( not umbrella but not the big one) last year when he was 2 and we used it off the ship but not really on the ship.

Should I bring it this year? we will be in the carnival freedom going to Grand turk, DR, aruba and curacao. We plan on doing the beaches and not sure what other excursions.

We will have 5 checked luggages at the airport and not sure how many carry ons..maybe 2 wheeled ones and 2 backpacks.

Yes...if you use it at home, you'll need it on the ship. LOTS of walking on ships, and a stroller makes a nice "nap-time" spot if you're out and about! I'd bring it. If your child wants to walk, stick your "stuff" in it! I'd rather have it, if needed, than to have to carry an almost 4 year old around when they get tired!

Yes, what cb said. A stroller is a great tool for just rolling cranky toddler around the ship and getting them to take a nap. Having to rent two cabins for six, we always book the cheap inside cabins so really have no urge to hang out there for the kid's sake. Some of my best cruise memories involved a sleeping baby in the stoller along for the ride.

Do you use one now?

My 3.5 year old would fight being in a stroller!

My DD used hers until she was five (we took a land trip in Italy) -- she was like a little queen making dad push her around :D

my youngest will be 3 1/2 when we cruise in July. ( also have a 7 and 10 year old) We brought the smaller stroller ( not umbrella but not the big one) last year when he was 2 and we used it off the ship but not really on the ship.

Should I bring it this year? we will be in the carnival freedom going to Grand turk, DR, aruba and curacao. We plan on doing the beaches and not sure what other excursions.

We will have 5 checked luggages at the airport and not sure how many carry ons..maybe 2 wheeled ones and 2 backpacks.

Is your 3 1/2 yr old going to walk all the way through the airport? How about waiting to board the ship?

I would bring it even if it is just for traveling to and from the ship.

Well, we often leave our stroller behind.

Beaches...stroller will be no good in sand (unless you have one of those weird looking ones with big inflatable tires).

On the ship...3.5 year old probably won't be staying in the stroller for extended periods of time (but a 3mo old, stroller works great in the MDR).

Your next youngest is probably too old to want to be in the stroller too, but if you were talking a 3yr old and a 5yr old, better bring a double stroller or no stroller at all. Or compromise, bring a small stroller and push the 5yr old around and carry the 3yr old.

If it's a really large stroller (we have a smaller double-seater, it's just a bit bigger than a midsize stroller) you may not be able to gate-check it at the airport. We found this out the hard way (I "think" we were on American Airlines, they said it was a new thing, and the rule was based on weight, ours was just a few pounds over). So we got to go around the Nashville, LA, Beijing, and Melbourne airports without a stroller (which has seen limited use since we've gotten here). But they should let you check it for free (strollers and car seats are checked free, in my experience).

And then you have to find a place to store it in the stateroom when not in use (because most likely you'll find it too cumbersome to push around the ship). Just don't be one of "those people" who leave it outside their stateroom taking up lots of space. Didn't see this too much EXCEPT on the Disney Wonder several years back. It seemed like every other stateroom had a large stroller parked outside their door (ok, I'm sure it was more like one in every four, but still; it was just a tad ridiculous).

BUT...it is nice to have all that extra room, I'll admit that. And if you're doing a land-based vacation before or after the cruise, that may change your plans (a stroller is virtually a must at Disney World, in my opinion).

My girls never go in the stroller unless we go to something like the zoo which is a lot of walking.

I brought 2 small umbrella's last trip and we used them in port. I did use one of them on the last sea day when DD#2 wasn't feeling well (motion sickness) and took her for some walks on the deck.

I found it was worth bringing because there is a lot of walking on the ship and while we didn't use it that much it was nice to have when we did need it. My feeling is that IF you can fit a small umbrella in your room (we put ours in the closet on the floor) it was totally worth bringing rather than having a cranky toddler you have to carry who is whinny.

My girls normally don't like the stroller but if they are tired they were happy to have it.

When mine was that age and we cruised we breought a cheap umbrella stroller. He only ended up using it in the terminal and it stayed in the closet on the ship because he walked everywhere. The islands would be no fun to have it because of the sand. Unless you are just gona shop around then it is good to have.

We also only used it for mall and carnivals and such.

I think it depends on your kid.

My daughter is only 2.5 and wont sit in a stroller anywhere. She will be almost 3 when we cruise and i'm not bringing one for her. It would be a waste of space and energy. But we do have a 1 year old who i am bringing one for.

i think we will need it at the airport..he's a small 3 year old and I don't know if he will be able to keep up. We do use it at home..for the mall...carnivals....etc. and of course we used it in disney a few weeks ago.

If you are travelling through a big airport I would bring it esp since he does still use it. Worst case scenario it sits in your room. We took a trip last year and decided not to bring the stroller because we don't use it often but boy did we miss it in the airport!

We're bringing an umbrella stroller for our son. He just turned three earlier this month. If anything, we'll need it in the airport for sure. I don't know what I would have done without it in the airports while bringing him home from Bulgaria last summer. Lots of walking!! He likes riding in it when he gets tired, and I can see him enjoying evening rides around the deck, too. This will be our first cruise with a little one, and I'm definitely looking forward to experiencing it through his eyes.

I'm in the minority here, but I hate using a stroller in airports. DS2 has been attached to me in the Ergo carrier for our last three trips, he had just turned 4 on our last trip and fortunately is under 40lbs so it was still an option ;) Toddler-wearing may not be a good option for you if it isn't already part of your routine, but for us it works very well. Plus there isn't the concern that the airline will lose/damage/make you check the stroller, as the carrier just packs away into a bag.

The first time we brought a stroller on vacation I swore I would never do it again ;)

I'd also reconsider the 5 checked bags. That's going to be hard to manage on your own, even with the older children helping. FWIW we can do an 11 day trip for 4 people, with formal wear, changes of clothes for every day (i.e. more clothes than we wear ;)) in 3 rolling suitcases and one rolling carry-on. The kids each wear their school back packs as carry ons, and we're good to go. DH and I manage the checked luggage, kids and car/booster seats.

I just brought my Britax B ready double stroller on a mediterranean cruise for my 5 yo and 1 yo. My 5 yo is petite and still loves the stroller for long afternoons out. For the baby, its essential. Its the only way he napped the whole trip.

For rough surfaces or cobblestones, a stroller with thick tires is essential-no cheapy umbrella stroller will hold up. Carrying it over the occasional stair is not a big deal, as long as you have another person to lend a hand.

Something we didn't think of ahead of time was how useful the stroller would be to carry stuff on. I had my huge diaper bag/purse, DD's small backpack, plus all the things we bought while out during the day. For beach days, add in a swim vest and beach towels...that alot to lug around with a child without a stroller to stow it!

After bringing all this, plus 2 children to Europe and a heavy double stroller....one child in the Caribbean is a piece of cake! Bring the stroller! It will give you peace of mind. And, if for some reason you don't want it as much as you thought, fold it and stow it under the bed or give it to the stewardess.

We have a Maclaren umbrella stroller (volo), and it's coming with us for our 3 yr old. He does a lot walking on his own and usually has plenty of energy to spare, but when he gets tired, he totally quits walking. Since I'm not a seasoned toddler wearer, I don't relish the prospect of carrying him around the ship when he decides he's too tired to walk. He also very willingly gets in the stroller when he decides he's had enough walking. The stroller folds up fairly small though, is lightweight, and will store in the closet.

Take a look at what you plan to do both onboard and in ports. I'm not familiar with the ports where you will be but look at how far is it to walk from the ship gangplank to wherever they have excursion shuttles or other transport for the activities you will be doing. Is it like Port canaveral where you have all the excursions and transports pick up as soon as you exit the terminal, or is it like nassau where you have a significant walk up the pier to even get to the terminal? How much walking in the airport or cruise terminal? Will you be using forms of transport where strollers aren't particularly welcome? (like bermudian buses) How will your son's stamina be for the amount of walking you expect to do? That will give you a better idea for whether or not it will be practical to bring the stroller.

Archived