Laurel Canyon Area?

Garfunkel

We're from the UK, and in September we'll be staying for 2 nights in West Hollywood prior to our cruise to Hawaii. We've never been to LA before. Our travel agent booked us the Andaz Hotel, which I'm thrilled to find was the 'Riot House' in the 60's/70's - I'm reading the book 'Laurel Canyon - Rock & Roll's Legendary Neighborhood' at the moment. My next books are 'Hotel California' and 'Canyon of Dreams' - so you can see what I'm interested in! Would it be safe for us to make our own way to the Canyon Country Store? I can't find any tours which include that area. We'd also like to go to the Troubadour one evening, if we like the look of the band that's playing!

I realise this may not be 'do-able' and we may just end up taking a tour of all the regular 'touristy spots'.

Any advice/thoughts on the hotel and the area we're staying in would be great, thanks.

Sue.

As the above poster said, you will need a car. As for West Hollywood, we stay around there whenever we're in town for the jazz festival, and we walk around, even at night. The area does have its share of freaky street people, but it's not a particularly unsavory part of the soup that is LA. In fact, just for your FYI, West Hollywood is a gay town.

Actually, the "freaky people", if you want to call them that are in Hollywood, not West Hollywood...

West Hollywood--which includes the Sunset Strip and the Andaz--is actually a fairly upscale area with nice shops and restaurants and some expensive homes...West Holllywood has a number of famous music venues--the Viper Room, the Roxy, the Whiskey and several more... as well as comedy clubs:

www.troubadour.com/

www.viperroom.com/

www.whiskyagogo.com/

www.theroxy.com/

http://www.houseofblues.com/venues/clubvenues/losangeles/

www.improv.com

www.laughfactory.com

www.thecomedystore.com

Laurel Canyon is really just a residential area in the Santa Monica Mountains north of West Hollywood stretching through to Studio City on the other side of the hill...unless you know what you're looking for, you're just driving through...But, it sounds like you've done some research and might be able to locate some of the homes where the rock stars used to live.

Oh, the Country Store in Laurel Canyon is really not that far up the canyon--less than a mile up the canyon from Sunset Blvd. Yes it is safe to go to...You can even walk it--as long as you keep off of the road....Crazy drivers!!

One restaurant note: Virtually next door to the Troubadour is Dan Tana's--sort of a Hollywood institution for almost 50 years and a favorite haunt of a lot of celebs:

http://www.dantanasrestaurant.com/about.php

As to being a "gay town", yes, it has a large Gay population...and Gays are prominent in local politics...But it also has all sorts of people...It is an area with a lot ot do...

It sounds like you've found the right part of LA for you...

Have fun...

Thank you so much for your replies, and Bruin Steve, you've made me feel much better about the area we'll be visiting. I took a virtual walk from the hotel to Laurel Canyon yesterday, so I think that may be enough for us. We're not there long enough, I don't think. This morning we 'walked' from the Andaz to the Troubadour, and we saw Dan Tana's - thanks for the links, it's very much appreciated. Would you recommend walking or taking a cab to the Troubadour?

Sue.

Thank you so much for your replies, and Bruin Steve, you've made me feel much better about the area we'll be visiting. I took a virtual walk from the hotel to Laurel Canyon yesterday, so I think that may be enough for us. We're not there long enough, I don't think. This morning we 'walked' from the Andaz to the Troubadour, and we saw Dan Tana's - thanks for the links, it's very much appreciated. Would you recommend walking or taking a cab to the Troubadour?

Sue.

It's about a mile and a half each way, walkable...La Cienega to Santa Monica Blvd...but, at night, I would just take a cab...

Of course, I am an Angeleno--we drive everywhere! ;)

In fact, just for your FYI, West Hollywood is a gay town.

West Hollywood is a not a gay town. While it does have large gay population, West Hollywood is tale of three cities. The western end of Santa Monica Blvd is very gay with lots of clubs and bars, Sunset Blvd is very straight with lots of clubs and bars and the eastern end of Santa Monica Blvd is very Russian with a large immigrant population of Russian Jews. A lot of the shops and restaurants in that part of town, including 7-11 have their signs in Russian. It is a great place for caviar and Russian food.

• 2 weeks later...

Hollywood/West Hollywood is great! My favorite part of town. It appears you are into rock n roll, if so you should check out the Rainbow Room either for food or drinks. I think everyone that has been to the "riot house" has been to the Rainbow....and DanTana's is one of our favorite restaurants.

A note for possible places to grab a bite...

Dukes

http://www.dukeswesthollywood.com/

and "the original" Barney's Beanery

http://barneysbeanery.com/

are both very famous eateries in the music/celebrity scene. I've spotted many rockers and actors at both places.

Both are casual diners serving typical American diner fare.

Sounds like you might enjoy them both.

Archived