Muster drill with a special needs kid

We are cruising this summer with our 10 year old who has high functioning autism / Aspergers and who has cruised before. Because of his HFA, DS does not do well with being crammed in with strangers during muster drill. Along with his HFA, he also has a sensory integration disorder, so the sounds, smells, change in temps, wearing the vest, people rubbing up against him, etc. can be bothersome to him. It's not a terribly big deal; it just noticeably stresses him out and could lead to several hours of destressing.

We would never consider skipping the drill (and we know that is not an option). On our past cruises, we have just moved fairly slowly so that we can be on the front row and / or near the door. The stewards don't like it and, judging by some of the comments about "late" people, others don't either. (For the record, we've have NEVER been late enough to hold up the drill....but we have had our steward tell us urgently to move it :D)

So...does anyone have any ideas about how we can make this easier for him? We really don't want to be annoying or troublesome, but we also want to do everything we can to help DS enjoy every day of his cruise.

TIA.

I'm extremely clausterphobic when it comes to having alot of people around me in smallish spaces. I've found that if you politely explain your situation to the crew member in charge of your station they're usually more than helpful in making sure your party stays in the front. :)

We are cruising this summer with our 10 year old who has high functioning autism / Aspergers and who has cruised before. Because of his HFA' date=' DS does not do well with being crammed in with strangers during muster drill. Along with his HFA, he also has a sensory integration disorder, so the sounds, smells, change in temps, wearing the vest, people rubbing up against him, etc. can be bothersome to him. It's not a terribly big deal; it just noticeably stresses him out and could lead to several hours of destressing.

We would never consider skipping the drill (and we know that is not an option). On our past cruises, we have just moved fairly slowly so that we can be on the front row and / or near the door. The stewards don't like it and, judging by some of the comments about "late" people, others don't either. (For the record, we've have NEVER been late enough to hold up the drill....but we have had our steward tell us urgently to move it :D)

So...does anyone have any ideas about how we can make this easier for him? We really don't want to be annoying or troublesome, but we also want to do everything we can to help DS enjoy every day of his cruise.

TIA.[/quote']

Yes -- when you get on board, go to the front service desk and tell them that your son has a disability, and explain the issue. They'll make accommodation for him so he won't have to be crowded in, won't be late, will be accounted for. He probably doesn't "look" handicapped, so they assume you're just lollygagging...if they know, it won't be an issue.

Scout out the Muster area as soon as you board. If it's a lounge, theater, etc, go early & get a seat where he won't feel crowded. If it's on a crowded deck area, go to Special Services/Guest Services & explain the situation. They may be able to move you to a more open staging area.

Also, if he's sensitive to noise, get him some noise blocking earplugs/earphones. You don't need the vests any more which cuts out some of the crowding.

I too have a son (13) with Autism. When you get on board, go to guest services. We have never done the typical muster. There is a place where the elderly and handicapped go. We go with them. It is not crowded. Not a problem.

My DS is a higly function autisitic.. he has Aspergers and PDDNOS as well as sensory issues... What we found worked for us was to let guest services know.. and that he was to hold his life jacket during the drill.. we put him toward the walls of the ship and we were able to keep the people away from him so he would not get too upset.. the staff is very professional and knows how to deal with alot of peoples special needs.. rest assured they will help you in anyway they can..

cheers

Hi...I am sure people with personal experience will chime in but till then I suggest you contact Special Needs before your cruise

They will arrange for your family to be away from general muster drill

Generally a lounge or other area for disabled or even more private if that is what HE needs, that way no problem and your cruise is off to a good start

You could also arrange this on board, speak to the staff but better to arrange it before you board, easier for all of you

Nice thing>> no one wears the life jacket to the drills now :)

Have a great cruise !

My son is 11 and has aspergers. I have contacted special needs dept. I will go to guest svc to advise and we will have muster in a diff area. I truly think my son would be ok with muster as long as its like our last cruise (it was just dh and me). Last time muster was 15 min easy peasy. I have read too many horror stories about standing for an hour side by side. That was not our experience last time but I dont wanna take any chances.

It's been said already but contact the special needs department PRIOR to your cruise and they will make any necessary arrangements. A follow up once onboard is a great idea too.

I've done it myself a few times and the cruiselines have always done something private (or semi) for my daughter. I know with Carnival, it was held in the library with a few other pax.

Have a great cruise!!!

Our DS has HFA to. We called carnival special needs and they set it up so our steward gave us a brief in our own cabin. Even walked us to the life boat after the drill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OIIIO

Wow! That is awesome. Bravo to Carnival for doing it right for our kids:D

What a relief! Thank you all so much for the great advice. It's also good (in a bittersweet way) to see so many other parents to Autistic children here. You all can understand the discomfort of wanting so badly to do what keeps your kiddoes comfy but also wanting to fit in with what everyone else is asked to do. :o It is good to hear that there are some options. In fact, I appreciate hearing from both parents with and without HFA kids, as that gave me lots of good ideas. I knew I was asking in the right place! :)

We did a private muster drill with someone from guest services as soon as we boarded the Liberty a few weeks ago. Now when general muster came around they were quite insistent that everyone go, and we kept having to explain that we had already completed it. So if you do it in advance, then you'll probably have to wait in your cabin and only have to explain it to the person clearing the cabins.

Our son also has sensory integration issues and while I didn't go so far as to contact the special needs department, we did hang back a bit and told the staff as we approached the muster drill, and they were very helpful and made sure he was on the end near the front. Unlike the first time we cruised and like dutiful newbies, were there early and ended up smushed against the wall. :(

We are cruising this summer with our 10 year old who has high functioning autism / Aspergers and who has cruised before. Because of his HFA' date=' DS does not do well with being crammed in with strangers during muster drill. Along with his HFA, he also has a sensory integration disorder, so the sounds, smells, change in temps, wearing the vest, people rubbing up against him, etc. can be bothersome to him. It's not a terribly big deal; it just noticeably stresses him out and could lead to several hours of destressing.

TIA.[/quote']

I'm not sure how the legend does it now but our last 2 cruises with carnival we didn't go out and stand shoulder to shoulder on the decks we were actually put in main staging areas, the lounges, theatre ect. It allowed us to sit in the theatre seating and just watch and listen to them go through the drill without feeling crowded. WE have never had to put on the vest or even take the vest with us for the drill either. Just went on Magic in March and we met in the theatre area and no vest. I know circle C was one of the staging areas and the comedy club was another. Hopefully all the ships are doing that and maybe you won't have to be put into those closed in quarters. Have a great cruise. Legend was one of my favorites and what got me addicted to cruising :)

TIA.[/quote']

I am just going to ditto what others have said about contacting the special needs department, other than that I would not rely on any advice you get on the boards for a situation like yours.

We have an Aspie daughter who can get stressed in noisy/crowded situations too. We have found that by carefully explaining to her what happens at a muster and why, she is able to deal with it much more calmly because she knows what to expect. The ear plugs are an excellent idea too. It's a fine balancing act helping her to participate and interact in situations that most people don't think twice about. She hates being treated "differently" which erodes her already very fragile self confidence.

Yes -- when you get on board, go to the front service desk and tell them that your son has a disability, and explain the issue. They'll make accommodation for him so he won't have to be crowded in, won't be late, will be accounted for. He probably doesn't "look" handicapped, so they assume you're just lollygagging...if they know, it won't be an issue.

Great advice. This is what we did when we were on a family cruise with my late father, who had health and access issues. They were so kind and made the accomodations he needed.

They are very accomodating to any special need no matter how small.

Our last cruise my DH was just finishing up physical therapy for a knee injury. He was worried that the many flights of stairs might re-injure it at the beginning of vacation. He felt really bad even asking since we sailed only a week after the Concordia disaster. He went to the guest services desk after boarding, explained that in a real emergency he could make it on the stairs but just didn't want to do any unncessary ones right now and they made sure we knew where to be ahead of time and that we could use the elevators afterwards.

Archived