Getting to Southhampton

crusader

Hi,

Prior to our sailing on the 10th of June on the QM 2 my husband and I will be staying in the Trafalgar square area.

What are your thoughts for the best way to get to the Port.

I was thinking about taking a cab to Victoria and then picking up the Coach there..

Thanks

Francine

Hi, Prior to our sailing on the 10th of June on the QM 2 my husband and I will be staying in the Trafalgar square area.

What are your thoughts for the best way to get to the Port.I was thinking about taking a cab to Victoria and then picking up the Coach there..

Thanks Francine

Hi,

Cab to Waterloo and then the fast train to Southampton.

Aim to arrive at Southampton around midday.

From Southampton Station the terminal is only a few minutes away.

Bon Voyage!

The bus from Victoria Station Coach Terminal to Southampton takes about 2 hours 15 minutes, and costs about 7 or 8 pounds sterling per person one way. The express train takes about 1 hour 15 minutes and costs about 30 pounds sterling.

The bus station in Southampton is about a 7 lb sterling taxi ride from the pier. Same for train station.

Your preference really. I usually travel solo, have only carry on luggage for air flights, and so taking the bus is no big problem for me. I usually book a round trip bus ticket online, all in about 15 lbs sterling. On return from Southampton, the first bus is at 8:00 am, which is easy to make since I self-disembark. The express train from Southampton is at about 9:30 am, if I remember correctly, and so actually, the time of arrival back to London is about the same taking the bus vs the train.

The bus from Victoria Station Coach Terminal to Southampton takes about 2 hours 15 minutes, and costs about 7 or 8 pounds sterling per person one way. The express train takes about 1 hour 15 minutes and costs about 30 pounds sterling.

The bus station in Southampton is about a 7 lb sterling taxi ride from the pier. Same for train station.

Your preference really. I usually travel solo, have only carry on luggage for air flights, and so taking the bus is no big problem for me. I usually book a round trip bus ticket online, all in about 15 lbs sterling. On return from Southampton, the first bus is at 8:00 am, which is easy to make since I self-disembark. The express train from Southampton is at about 9:30 am, if I remember correctly, and so actually, the time of arrival back to London is about the same taking the bus vs the train.

The trains run from about 6am if not earlier but the "cheap" fares kick in at 9.30. If there are two of you travelling the best way is by private car when you add up cab/train/cab costs.

We too are staying in Trafalgar - at the Trafalgar Hilton. We bought 2 tickets for the 11:35 train out of Waterloo for 71.80 pounds. We are looking forward to taking the train, as that is not a usual possibility here in the south.

Smiths For Airports seem to be very flexible re pickup locations. They took us from the port to a car park in Southall for the same price as to Heathrow. Central London would probably be a bit more but hotel to port without any hassle would be the way I would go.

David.

We too are staying in Trafalgar - at the Trafalgar Hilton. We bought 2 tickets for the 11:35 train out of Waterloo for 71.80 pounds. We are looking forward to taking the train, as that is not a usual possibility here in the south.

When you add in the taxi costs either end, for another £10 you could have taken a car service from door to door in comfort. www.smithsforairports.com is the way I would go.:)

I vote for Smith's as well. Convenient, not costly, all things considered, and, most important, no lugging and stowing of cases in the cabs and on the trains. Besides, it's a bit of a POSH way to begin and/or end your voyage. If you do book Smith's ask for driver, Dan Elliott. He was our driver from SOTON to London, then from London to LHR last spring. A very nice person and worthy of your business.

When you add in the taxi costs either end, for another £10 you could have taken a car service from door to door in comfort. www.smithsforairports.com is the way I would go.:)

Capn -

I hate to be a bother, but I have seen you tout this company many times, and am now thinking about it. We will arrive in Soton on the QM2 and then train to Brussels. Would it be less expensive to contact Smiths for Airports to travel to London, or the train? I would think the train would be costlier, as two tickests are required, but don't know about the cost of the private car.

Any information would be beneficial.

Thanks,

Ed

Capn -

I hate to be a bother, but I have seen you tout this company many times, and am now thinking about it. We will arrive in Soton on the QM2 and then train to Brussels. Would it be less expensive to contact Smiths for Airports to travel to London, or the train? I would think the train would be costlier, as two tickests are required, but don't know about the cost of the private car.

Any information would be beneficial.

Thanks,

Ed

I think tout might be a little harsh, I freely recommend their service and have used is quite a few time myself, I would guess that the price to London would be around £100 to £125 and the train to Waterloo would be £70 to £75. A cab from the dock to Southampton Station is probably £10 and from Waterloo to St Pancras £20 to £30. That simply put is the Maths and it is for you to work out what not schlepping your luggage about is worth to you. Why don't you contact them and see what they quote. To me there is no question that I would take the car over the train if there were more than travelling.

I think tout might be a little harsh, I freely recommend their service and have used is quite a few time myself, I would guess that the price to London would be around £100 to £125 .

Our driver mentioned that Smiths get a lot of work via CC recommendations.

We paid £65.00 for the run to Southall which is a little further than Heathrow so the above would probably be around the cost to London. And of course you could be dropped right at St. Pancras for Eurostar.

David

Is Easy Train still running London to Southampton? That was incredibly cheap.

I am not familiar with Easy Train. Do you mean "megatrain" perhaps? We have used that service. According to their website it is still being offered between London Waterloo and Southampton Central with fares as low as £1.00.

Regards,

John.

. Do you mean "megatrain" perhaps? We have used that service. According to their website it is still being offered between London Waterloo and Southampton Central with fares as low as £1.00.

Regards,

John.

A sample search brings up a price to St. Pancras from Southampton Harbour of £33 pp. with one change.

I don't know why anyone would want to lug heavy cases on such a journey when leaving or boarding one of the worlds top luxury liners.

David.

I think tout might be a little harsh, I freely recommend their service and have used is quite a few time myself, I would guess that the price to London would be around £100 to £125 and the train to Waterloo would be £70 to £75. A cab from the dock to Southampton Station is probably £10 and from Waterloo to St Pancras £20 to £30. That simply put is the Maths and it is for you to work out what not schlepping your luggage about is worth to you. Why don't you contact them and see what they quote. To me there is no question that I would take the car over the train if there were more than travelling.

Thank you for your quick reply.

Well, now you have done it!:eek: You have driven me between the covers of my Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary. Turns out I only have the vaguest idea of the meaning of the word:o, although the way I meant ot use it was listed (to promote, or talk up) is listed, it is rather down the list.

Again, thank you for the information, and the English lesson:o. I meant no insult.

Thank you for your quick reply.

Well, now you have done it!:eek: You have driven me between the covers of my Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary. Turns out I only have the vaguest idea of the meaning of the word:o, although the way I meant ot use it was listed (to promote, or talk up) is listed, it is rather down the list.

Again, thank you for the information, and the English lesson:o. I meant no insult.

And I assure you, no offence was taken. :)

Hi

Just contacted smiths for a quote and was emailed a reply within 5 minutes. We are looking to go from Brown's Hotel to Southampton in August. I was curious of the price. They quoted me 106+10 conjestion fee. Great price & definetely will be better then dragging my luggage through a train terminal. I will definetely confirm car for our trip. Thank you for the recommendation. I thought it would have been much more expensive.

Kerry

Capnpugwash provided this tip to us in 2010 and in a word it was perfect! Our plan is to use them again this year. Both from Heathrow and from our hotel to the dock. No fuss, no muss and best of all, no stress. Good Luck!

Many people do not realise that Waterloo station is south of the river so if you are staying in Central London you will need either a taxi or underground train, to get to Waterloo. As a lot of experienced travellers say "the only way" is some sort of hire car and you know upfront how much it will be. A taxi would be expensive as they are metered. Any hire car company that has as many recomendations as the one mention would be high on my list.

Many people do not realise that Waterloo station is south of the river so if you are staying in Central London you will need either a taxi or underground train, to get to Waterloo. As a lot of experienced travellers say "the only way" is some sort of hire car and you know upfront how much it will be. A taxi would be expensive as they are metered. Any hire car company that has as many recomendations as the one mention would be high on my list.

I agree that the limo/driver option is an attractive one, and may well be the best for some people/under certain circumstances (personally I'd still take the train, I dislike car journeys, and hate being stuck in slow moving or stationary traffic on a packed motorway while watching the clock as departure time gets closer. Plus, I'm not sure I'd want to engage in small talk, or answer loads of questions, with a "friendly" driver)

Waterloo is no more remote than many main line London Termini and closer to the West End than many.

London lacks a main central railway station, the western, northern and eastern stations are in a huge curve, the Southern stations do, at least, come closer to the centre of things.

(As you'd need a cab from many central London hotels, the river makes little or no difference. Waterloo is well placed for the "West End". Passengers staying to the east in "The City" or to the north along the Euston road area etc. might find it further to get to. If people choose to travel by train, then a cab ride is required by many to start the journey. In addition there are, of course, hotels within short walking distance of Waterloo Station)

Very best wishes.

I agree that the limo/driver option is an attractive one, and may well be the best for some people/under certain circumstances (personally I'd still take the train, I dislike car journeys, and hate being stuck in slow moving or stationary traffic on a packed motorway while watching the clock as departure time gets closer. Plus, I'm not sure I'd want to engage in small talk, or answer loads of questions, with a "friendly" driver)

Very best wishes.

I must admit I find the idea of being whisked from my front door up here in the grim north directly to the docks in Soton to be very seductive. However, Pepper's caveat about a 'friendly' driver would definitely give me pause. Is it possible to stipulate that you get a non-smoking, non-radio-playing, non-talking driver?

Shiny

I must admit I find the idea of being whisked from my front door up here in the grim north directly to the docks in Soton to be very seductive. However, Pepper's caveat about a 'friendly' driver would definitely give me pause. Is it possible to stipulate that you get a non-smoking, non-radio-playing, non-talking driver?

Shiny

You certainly would not get a smoker. As for talking or radio playing surely if you don't want these you would only need to ask. Personally I am quite happy to have a talkative driver. Listeners always learn more than talkers.

David.

I only just found out about "Mega Train", booking a month plus in advance for £1 is surely the way to go! :)

If you can get them. All I am getting is "No tickets available on the chosen date"

David.

Archived