Driving in Montreal?

How is driving in Montreal? We fly into Montreal Trudeau Airport on 6/8 @ 3:50 PM. Renting a car & spending the night at the Courtyard Marriott, 7000 Place Robert-Joncas. Originally we were scheduled to arrive @ 12:50 PM but our flight got changed. I try to avoid rush hour but looks like we could be right in the middle of rush hour traffic. Don't speak French & know the signs will be in French. We will have our GPS & printed directions also. Also, the Grand Prix will be there then. So we will probably drive to the hotel & just stay unless we drive somewhere for dinner. Don't know of what to see close by, any suggestions? On June 9, we are taking the Montreal City Guided Sightseeing Tour leaving from 1255 Peel St @ 10 AM. How is traffic on Saturday from 7 AM - 9:30 AM? Also, thought about touring the Notre-Dame Basilica @ 8 AM before our city tour. Is it worth it?

How is driving in Montreal? We fly into Montreal Trudeau Airport on 6/8 @ 3:50 PM. Renting a car & spending the night at the Courtyard Marriott' date=' 7000 Place Robert-Joncas. Originally we were scheduled to arrive @ 12:50 PM but our flight got changed. I try to avoid rush hour but looks like we could be right in the middle of rush hour traffic. Don't speak French & know the signs will be in French. We will have our GPS & printed directions also. Also, the Grand Prix will be there then. So we will probably drive to the hotel & just stay unless we drive somewhere for dinner. Don't know of what to see close by, any suggestions? On June 9, we are taking the Montreal City Guided Sightseeing Tour leaving from 1255 Peel St @ 10 AM. How is traffic on Saturday from 7 AM - 9:30 AM? Also, thought about touring the Notre-Dame Basilica @ 8 AM before our city tour. Is it worth it?[/quote']

All traffic signs will be in English and French. You should be OK on the weekend for driving. (My only caution is that SOME drivers in La Belle Provence can be crazy and don't use turn signals.)

If you like shopping there is a mall at HWY 40 (Trans Canada) & Blvd des Sources. about 10 minutes from your hotel. The staff at your hotel should be able to give you directions.

It seems to me you would be much better off without a car. When we go to Montreal we stay somewhere on the edge of town near a metro station and use that to get around. You will not want a car downtown.

It really depends on how well you adapt to new places. I have driven in Montreal and Quebec in general many times. There are lots of things about Montreal that make it a PIA to drive in. I first drove in Montreal as a 18 year old and made it home in good condition , so anyone can do it. You will find Exit signs almost on top of the exits, lots of one way streets, no right turns on red lights, in a few cases the exits are on the left side of the highway. It is an old city so the streets are narrow. not all signs are in both languages. It is very useful to understand the french words for directions, STOP, no parking and one-way. If you can adapt, then go for it but be prepared for some frustration. The local drivers can be aggressive, tailgating is a favorite and sudden lane changes etc. Not necessarily more aggressive than drivers in other cities but they do have a reputation. I've noticed that the middle finger means the same in either language :D . I agree with Maryann, use the Metro where ever possible. Much easier to get around.

Driving in Montreal is like all other places that are congested and expensive to park in. That being said, there is no right-on-red on the Island of Montreal, so don't even try it. Parking is generally parallel parking in the city, other than parking lots and will cost you about $20 to $25 a day, if you don't move the car and you can find a lot available.

That being said, why the car? If the hotel will ferry you back and forth to the airport with their shuttle, you can take the city's 747 bus to downtown or the Lionel-Groulx metro station for $8 for 24 hours with a system-wide pass or $16 for a 3 day pass. Sure you will spend some time on a bus back and forth, but you won't have any of the frustration of driving around the construction we are famous for and the parking to pay for.

Reading the OP, I was also wondering - why bother with a car? The taxi from the airport to downtown is a fixed rate (about $35 as I recall). The guided tour may have an option to pick you up at your hotel. Driving in Montreal is not something I would want to do - very congested plus the parking issue.

DaveOKC

Archived