Just got back from Majesty-Adriatic Explorer

There doesn't seem to be a review section for Thomson Majesty so I thought I'd give a bit of a review here.

Got back from Adriatic Explorer yesterday and have to say if you're booked on the Majesty you don't need to worry!

We were on its 3rd sailing and it seems the major problems have been all sorted, in my opinion anyway.

Entertainment I know a lot of people are particularily worried about this but I thought it was great. (But I could be easily pleased) The Majesty singers are young, enthusiastic and great singers. Their Abba tribute had people applauding madly, and their tuneful take on modern and classic songs was great. We had 2 uk comic acts on board this week. Phil Boyle & Barricade, both on twice and both really funny. If Barricade are on your cruise, try to get to their 2nd later show. Assuming its the same act, the ending is the funniest thing we've seen for ages.

Everything is as you'd expect from Thomson, staff, food & organisation.

Just one negative point, the sunbeds are all on the upper deck with no shade. Our day at sea was very windy and not that warm, but other half still managed to get a badly sunburnt leg (his own fault no lotion) which due to an existing medical condition came up in blisters meaning he had to make several visits to the Russian nurse in medical centre who dressed it for him (something he seemed to enjoy a bit too much!)

Anyway to sum up we had a great cruise in spite of the dodgy weather - it rained in Venice, so if you've got any questions I'll try to answer them

Thanks for the great review. I've seen Phil Boyle and agree he is very funny. As a rule I always think it's best to wait a few weeks for a new ship to bed in. Presumably it's a new crew as well and they have to find their feet, we all know how it is when we start a new job and don't know where anything is.:):). I'd keep and eye on that OH of yours, especially if he starts taking Russian lessons and wanting to do the Baltics cruise, lol.:D

How did you find the cabins compared to other ships?

Jan

Brilliant that broadly speaking you had a great time :o)

Have to say if Barricade are the Welsh duo I thought they were brutal when I saw them in the hotel I was staying at in Majorca last year - perhaps they had an off night (or I had an off night) lol

I'll keep an eye on him, mind you i thought the russian doctor was charming too! We had a standard outside cabin which was about the same size as the one we had on Destiny last year, but was better laid out with 2 parallel twin beds rather than L shaped meaning OH kept banging his elbow. Unfortunately because I tend to begrudge paying extra to choose a cabin we had a lovely view of a lifeboat, but at least it was taken down and cleaned during the week!

Concerning Baricade they did take a while to warm up but their 2nd show was better than their 1st, but that could be as it was a bit later the AI had longer to take effect! They did have the whole audience in stitches, not just me!:D

We stayed in cabin 4141 never been in such a small cabin before. 2 single beds, one single wardrobe, a desk with a hairdryer in and your legs could not get underneath. One set of drawers between the beds, we paid £39.00 for the privilege of choosing our own cabin. It was midship so no rocking and rolling. Other people got bigger and better cabins without paying.

The entertainment was generally good. Not big shows that Thomsonites are used to, but you could not knock the young singers. (we last sailed with Thomson in 1998) I agree the comedians were good. Whilst we joined in with the quizzes I would say that this is not great evening entertainment.

Shame you could not get a weather forecast about the ports of call the evening before we arrived. Don't suppose they want the customers to cancel the trips.

It rained in Venice and poured in Split. Dubrovnik was sunny and good to walk the walls. Brindisi is full of dog muck and grafitti.

Shame Thomson can't come into the 21st century and have laundry rooms onboard.

It looks like we need good recommendations for the biggest and best cabins on the Majesty. Thanks for the info though, up to now we think we prefer the Dream even though we don't spend much time in the cabin it is nice not having to keep backing up to let the other person get past.:)

Jan

It looks like we need good recommendations for the biggest and best cabins on the Majesty. Thanks for the info though, up to now we think we prefer the Dream even though we don't spend much time in the cabin it is nice not having to keep backing up to let the other person get past.:)

Jan

I get the impression that those in the know will avoid standard insides and outsides.

Jan

I'm in a Jnr Suite so I'll let you know...soon

Sounds like most of the initial teething problems have been resolved so no reason why you shouldn't have a good time although the entertainment may be a bit down on Thonson's usual standards.

If you have a standard cabin, yes, they are quite small but nothing to get worried about. They have all the necessary facilities and you won't be spending much time in it.

• 1 month later...

Just to let you know that 905 has an excellent location. Right beside the lift and the Royal Observatory bar - perfect for a quiet nightcap! The view is excellent from the cabin - great to watch the entry to Venice from. We were never disturbed by noise from other passengers or engine noise etc. I hope you have as good a cruise as we did! Also, the suites have shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, soap, body lotion and bath towels. This should cut down on your packing. There are also DVD players in the suites and a fridge. Enjoy!

This may have already been mentioned, so I apologise if I am asking an already answered question, but what type of laundry service does Majesty offer. I understnad that there is no public laundrette type place, which suits me as I don't intend doing my own washing on holiday, are there any other options?

Hi can you tell me if there are hairdryers in the cabins?as the the wife does`nt want to take her`s if they supplied in the cabins.We are doing the adriatic explorer on the 24th august and can`t wait.

Hi

We were on the Majesty in June. Hairdryers are supplied in the bathrooms but I will always take my own in future. the one I had was very old fashioned, very slow, and the size of the bathroom meant I could not cope with how hot I got drying my hair (kind of made having had a shower pointless!!)

At least using my own in the main cabin would mean the A/C would help cool me down!

Personal choice in the end (like most things really):)

Gill

Just to let you know that 905 has an excellent location. Right beside the lift and the Royal Observatory bar - perfect for a quiet nightcap! The view is excellent from the cabin - great to watch the entry to Venice from. We were never disturbed by noise from other passengers or engine noise etc. I hope you have as good a cruise as we did! Also, the suites have shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, soap, body lotion and bath towels. This should cut down on your packing. There are also DVD players in the suites and a fridge. Enjoy!

Thanks for letting us know what 905 was like. I have booked this for next year, and you have reassured me over the location.

Glad you had a good holiday.

Gloria

Archived