Roma Ostiense

Anguillafan

Has anyone used this train station to get back to the port? Is it hard to find? Is it hard to navigate in terms of getting to the correct track? If we're at the Roman Forum, will it take less time to wait for the Metro and take it to the train station, or should we walk?

Thanks for any help.

Interesting question and the answer really depends on how much you like to walk. It is about a mile from the Forum over to Ostiense (my estimate) but if you do make that walk its no problem catching the regional trains that run from Termini to Civitavecchia. The advantage is that the train ride back to Civitavecchia is about 10-15 min shorter from Ostiense then it is if you get the train at Termini. The downside is that the train starts its run at Termini and if its crowded there might not be any seats by the time it gets to Ostiense. You would still be allowed on the train but you might have to stand for a few stops. If you do not like to walk all the way to Ostiense then the Metro to Termini (or one of the other stations) is an option. Keep in mind that if you purchase a BIRG ticket at Civitavecchia...that ticket would also cover all days unlimited use of the Metro (and buses) in Rome.

Hank

Interesting question and the answer really depends on how much you like to walk. It is about a mile from the Forum over to Ostiense (my estimate) but if you do make that walk its no problem catching the regional trains that run from Termini to Civitavecchia. The advantage is that the train ride back to Civitavecchia is about 10-15 min shorter from Ostiense then it is if you get the train at Termini. The downside is that the train starts its run at Termini and if its crowded there might not be any seats by the time it gets to Ostiense. You would still be allowed on the train but you might have to stand for a few stops. If you do not like to walk all the way to Ostiense then the Metro to Termini (or one of the other stations) is an option. Keep in mind that if you purchase a BIRG ticket at Civitavecchia...that ticket would also cover all days unlimited use of the Metro (and buses) in Rome.

Hank

Thanks Hank. I think how much walking we're going to be prepared to do will depend on the heat, and how tired we are from all of the prior walking we expect to do through Rome during that day.

We were in Rome in 1992. We wanted to use the Metro, but it was extremely crowded, and it apparently hadn't come in a long time. I guess the idea of waiting for a Metro that never came has stuck with me, so it's helpful to know that walking is an option.

Lydia

• 2 weeks later...

Hank, or anyone else with the answer - we're going to be in port on a Friday in October. We plan to take the train in, explore an area of the city we haven't seen, and take the return train from Termini. Will the fact that it's a Friday make it a problem to catch the train, even from its starting point? We were thinking about a mid-afternoon train as a way around this. Our ship sails at 7:00, but there's no way we're going to cut it close returning all the way from Rome!

Thanks for any advice.

Pat

The FR5, the regional line between Rome and Civitavecchia, is a commuter line so yes, it will be crowded at the end of a work day, but no more so on a Friday than any other day of the week. If you head back on the 4:12 (arrives Civitavecchia 5:11) you'll have plenty of time.

Yes, getting on at Termini increases your probability of getting a seat to just about 100%, but it also shortens your day by at least 30 minutes. Personally, I'd take the chance of possibly having to stand for a few stops (eventually enough people will get off so you can find a seat) rather than give up that time, but that's me and my priorities.

Archived