Trunk Bay vs Magen's Bay

amyj23

Last time we went to St Thomas, we went to Magen's Bay. It was a beautiful beach but incredibly crowded. We are headed back to St Thomas in November, and I feel like "been there, done that"... I want to see St John and it seems like Trunk Bay is the most accessible. If we go, we're going to get there on our own via ferry and taxis. Anyway, my question is, some sites warn that Trunk Bay is crowded due to its popularity. But could it possibly be as crowded as Magen's Bay simply due to it being less easily accessible than Magen's Bay? Not to mention, there is only ONE other cruise ship in port with us the day that we go. If Trunk Bay is going to have as many people as Magen's Bay, than I may reconsider. But if someone can tell me that Trunk Bay is better, I may not care... Anyhow, can someone who has done both beaches shed a little more light?

Definitely do Trunk. Magens will get the most people, Coki will be a bit crowded as well. Trunk will see tourists because that excursion is offered by the ships. But the number of people at Trunk will not be an issue for you, and it is beautiful enough to go anyway. There are other beaches as accessible, you may want to stop in Cinnamon Bay or another during your visit to STJ. And there are some great shops and lunch spots in Cruz Bay to boot! Definitely a great day.

See my other posts for taxi/ferry times and pricing if you don;t already have that.

• 3 weeks later...
Definitely do Trunk. Magens will get the most people, Coki will be a bit crowded as well. Trunk will see tourists because that excursion is offered by the ships. But the number of people at Trunk will not be an issue for you, and it is beautiful enough to go anyway. There are other beaches as accessible, you may want to stop in Cinnamon Bay or another during your visit to STJ. And there are some great shops and lunch spots in Cruz Bay to boot! Definitely a great day.

See my other posts for taxi/ferry times and pricing if you don;t already have that.

Totally agree with "blue_water"! Trunk Bay is absolutely lovely! :)

Totally agree with "blue_water"! Trunk Bay is absolutely lovely! :)

I've done both, and Trunk Bay is the best! I also enjoy the ferry ride over and back from

St.John's, very relaxing and and enjoyable. I've been to just about every Caribbean island and Trunk Bay beach is the most beautiful beach I've ever seen! It is a state park and has restrooms, showers, changing facilties, and food concessions available. You can take a ferry from downtown Charlotte Amalie (St.Thomas) or from Red Hook (on the east side of St.Thomas) on your own to St.John's (cheaper than from cruiseline).

Both are beautiful, but Trunk Bay is my favorite! Our most recent cruise, we decided we would spend more time trying to get to & back from St. John & wouldn't have much beach time at Trunk so even though it was calling my name went to Sapphire Beach to see a beach we hadn't been to. It was pretty with a view of St. John, but not nearly as nice as Magens. If you have the time I'd say Trunk Bay, but if not Magen's is my 2nd favorite! Enjoy those gorgeous beaches for me!!! :)

Archived