Carnival Magic 5/20/12

Sorry one more questions (I hit post too quickly) :)

Would someone share their invitations; we are stressing (I should say I am stressing) about how to do the save the date and inform everyone of which ship and wha to book (we have several out of State guests that may want to sail). The when we mail out the invitations how can we inform our local friends that they can join us even though they are not cruising - I would hate for someone to feel they could only come to the wedding if they paid for a cruise........gosh did that make sense?

Yes, I am an over planner and a stresser...... :o

We told everyone by word of mouth first about the wedding. We let them know they didn't have to sail to attend. Most people who booked did so right away. Since we had already told everyone, on the invitations we did them just as though they were non sailing invitations. Everyone already knew they were invited to cruise if they wanted.

Thank you! I was very happy with my pictures!

The DJ is not included in the price. I belive it was an extra $100. Which isn't bad. The only thing is that they no longer offer the DJ. It is now only a social host acting as a DJ. That is what mine was and he was really good. No one knew he was not the real DJ.

We only brought the music for our first dance and mother/son dance. On Carnival you have to have to orginal CDs not any burned CDs. Even if you have receipts they will not allow you to play it. We were able to have a burned CD for the ceremony because it is TWE who plays it and they don't care. But if you want it played at the reception, whoever is playing it works for Carnival and they are not allowed to play burned CDs.

We are country and rock fans so we requested this kind of music and then dance music. They did a great job playing what we asked. Before the wedding they told me I could email a list of songs and they would see if the DJ had them.

Our reception was 2 hours. I don't know if it just the different ports or what, but our 2 hour reception was standard. I also read somewhere you can possibly extend it but I'm not sure how or how much it is.

If you can think of anymore questions just ask!

Hey Bride520....

I have some questions now.

I have an email from my coordinator saying that it is OK to have burned CDs for the ceremony and reception.

Also.... your reception was 2 hours? I know I specifically asked about 2 hours and was told no.

Lastly, no open bar? I thought that was included in the price. Kinda confused.

Nona

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Go to Carnivals website. Click on "Manage My Cruise" at the top of the page. On the far right there's a link for "Gifts and Services". Tuxes are in Formal Wear Rentals. Not a great selection in my opinion. We might end up renting through Men's Warehouse and seeing if a non-sailing guest can take it off the ship and return it for us. You can return their tuxes to any of their stores regardless or where you picked it up. Pretty neat!

Thank you!

Thank you! I was very happy with my pictures!

The DJ is not included in the price. I belive it was an extra $100. Which isn't bad. The only thing is that they no longer offer the DJ. It is now only a social host acting as a DJ. That is what mine was and he was really good. No one knew he was not the real DJ.

We only brought the music for our first dance and mother/son dance. On Carnival you have to have to orginal CDs not any burned CDs. Even if you have receipts they will not allow you to play it. We were able to have a burned CD for the ceremony because it is TWE who plays it and they don't care. But if you want it played at the reception, whoever is playing it works for Carnival and they are not allowed to play burned CDs.

We are country and rock fans so we requested this kind of music and then dance music. They did a great job playing what we asked. Before the wedding they told me I could email a list of songs and they would see if the DJ had them.

Our reception was 2 hours. I don't know if it just the different ports or what, but our 2 hour reception was standard. I also read somewhere you can possibly extend it but I'm not sure how or how much it is.

If you can think of anymore questions just ask!

Thanks - The info on the music is very helpful - what woud the alternative be if you did not ask for a DJ (social host) would you just have music in the background or just a cocktail hour? I think we would go with a DJ but just curious....

Thanks again for sharing

We told everyone by word of mouth first about the wedding. We let them know they didn't have to sail to attend. Most people who booked did so right away. Since we had already told everyone, on the invitations we did them just as though they were non sailing invitations. Everyone already knew they were invited to cruise if they wanted.

That makes sense; we could do the save the date with booking info and then normal invitations; we know we will have about 50 non sailing guests sense we live only 1.5 hours from the port

We rented ours and brought it on. He also wanted to were all white and Carnival doesn't offer all white. The only white they have is a white jacket with black slacks.

We rented his from Als Formal Wear. I found a coupon on there website that allowed us to keep it for an extra 7 days at no charge. I had stressed about this because I knew we had to keep the tux for pictures so we couldn't send it off with a non sailing guests but to keep a tux for extra days is normally like $20 a day. So, when I saw this coupon I knew this is what we were doing!

Thanks so much! Good to know about the photos - I didn't realize they are after the reception. I am glad they are because that means we can enjoy the reception with all of our guests! I just hope my makeup stays! I am having Kristina Frank do it (based on your recommendation and beautiful pics) and it looks like yours stayed put for pictures, so I am sure I'll be fine. I'll bookmark Al's Formal Wear and keep an eye out for the coupons.

Thanks again!

Thank you soooo much for your review -- I was panicking a bit after reading some others! My wedding is scheduled for embarkation day aboard the Carnival Magic on January 6, 2013. The date is sneaking up on me FAST! your pictures are great (especially the ones on deck) and you look stunning! Thanks for recommending hair/makeup people! I was gonna do my own, but I have decided not to stress myself out any more than necessary.

When you have a few minutes, would you mind answering a few questions? I will happily pay it forward to future brides after my wedding. :)

I have been so worried about the reception. They don't provide much info about it. I thought when it said "one hour open bar" that was pretty much our whole reception (no music, dances, etc.). So relieved to hear that those things are available!

1. Did you set up the DJ through Carnival or TWE? How much was it if you don't mind my asking?

Yes, we did. It was $100. They no longer have DJs though. It is now only social hosts. (same price) They made this change a few months ago. At first I was upset about not having the DJ, but the social host did great! I couldn't imagine a wedding without having the social host. We had a blast dancing!

2. About how long was the reception?

The reception was 2 hours. Our ceremony was from 1-1:30 and reception from 1:30-3:30. The length was good. We were able to do a good amount of dancing, pictures, visiting, eating, and drinking. Of course I wish it was a little longer, but it worked out great. And we still had time afterwards with out sailing guest. Although no open bar :(

3. Did you and the groom arrive together for boarding? I'd like to board separately so he doesn't see my hair and makeup and I am thinking I can arrange this somehow -- just curious as to what you did.

We actually arrived together. My husband and I stayed the night in the same hotel room the night before. Hair and makeup came to our room at 5:45 AM and I didn't want him to have to wake up that early (he did anyway) so he was actually there while my hair and makeup were being done. He ended up leaving for a little while but theres not much to do at 6am for 4 hours! Before the wedding day we had discussed not seeing each other but he is stubborn and said he was not boarding the ship with out me with him. I don't know if he was afraid something would happen and I wouldn't make it on or what. LOL. But I'm soo glad I had him with me. I was so stressed the morning of and he held me together. I'm sure you could somehow arrange to not see each other. There are plenty of walls and different rooms where you wait that it could easily be done.

4. Did your hotel have shuttle service to the terminal? Or did you have to get that through another company?

We didn't even ask about shuttle service. We didn't want to leave our car anywhere except the Galveston Cruise Parking Lot so I'm not sure if they do or not. As for the non sailing guest, the nonsailing parking lot is so close to Carnival terminal that none of them worried about being shuttled from the hotel either. Sorry I can't help you with this one. But, if you choose to drive yourself, the shuttle from the parking lot to the terminal do not run early enough, so what we did was have a non sailing guest follow our sailing guests to the parking lot to drop them back of. The parking is really far from the terminal, but non sailing parking is right across the street, much closer.

I am sure I will have plenty more questions in the days to come. Thank you so much for your expert advice!

I will answer any question you have! I know its hard going into it not knowing what to expect, but mine was perfect! I would do the exact same wedding if I could go back. I was super nervous wondering how it would play out since it was like we were going into it blind, but it was better than I could have ever imagined!!!!

Congrats!

Megan

That's a great price for a social host! I don't really care if it's a DJ or not, as long as there's someone to push play. :o) I am so glad we will be able to do first dances and such. I thought I was going to have to do without.

Good point about boarding together. I am a basketcase when traveling as it is. Add to that the fact that we are coming in from out of state and that it'll be our wedding day and I'm sure I'll be a mess. I'll probably end up boarding with my fiance so he can calm my anxieties. :o) It'll still be a surprise when he sees me in my dress.

I forgot you were local - sorry about the shuttle questions. :o) I called a few hotels and it sounds like the nicer ones offer a shuttle free of change and the more economical hotels will set it up for you with an outside company pretty cheap. I appreciate the input though!

Thanks,

Megan

Hey Bride520....

I have an email from my coordinator saying that it is OK to have burned CDs for the ceremony and reception.

Okay, not sure about this one. My coordinator told me they didn't care but Carnival did. Just have a backup plan incase they won't play it.

Also.... your reception was 2 hours? I know I specifically asked about 2 hours and was told no.

Yes, ours was 2 hours. We did the Deluxe Romance Package. I think it depends on what package you choose and if there have been any other weddings already booked for that day and what package they have choosen. They only do one wedding at a time. We got the 1:00pm time slot, so the next wedding on our day couldn't have started until 1:30 which means they could have only had a 1 1/2 hour reception. Does this make sense? Ask her why. It could be the package you choose or because of other weddings that were already booked.

Yes, we did have an open bar. Sorry if I confused you. If I said there wasn't an open bar I didn't mean to. They open bar was awesome! My husband and I and our guests were very happy with the open bar.

Nona

Hope that helped!

Thanks so much! Good to know about the photos - I didn't realize they are after the reception. I am glad they are because that means we can enjoy the reception with all of our guests! I just hope my makeup stays! I am having Kristina Frank do it (based on your recommendation and beautiful pics) and it looks like yours stayed put for pictures, so I am sure I'll be fine. I'll bookmark Al's Formal Wear and keep an eye out for the coupons.

Thanks again!

Krinstina Frank was amazing and she's super sweet. Just spend the extra $25 and get the airbrush. They both look good (my sister got traditional and I got airbrush), but with crying, sweating and hugging and all the other crazyness of a wedding the airbrush held perfect. In fact even after I got out of the hot tub 12 hours after it was done it still looked just as perfect as it did at 7 am that morning!

Thanks - The info on the music is very helpful - what woud the alternative be if you did not ask for a DJ (social host) would you just have music in the background or just a cocktail hour? I think we would go with a DJ but just curious....

Thanks again for sharing

I'm not sure. I know you can hire a pianist or a trio band (or something like that), but if you don't hire anyone I'm not sure if they will even play music. In order for them to even put a CD in you have to pay for the social host.

Krinstina Frank was amazing and she's super sweet. Just spend the extra $25 and get the airbrush. They both look good (my sister got traditional and I got airbrush), but with crying, sweating and hugging and all the other crazyness of a wedding the airbrush held perfect. In fact even after I got out of the hot tub 12 hours after it was done it still looked just as perfect as it did at 7 am that morning!

Yes, I am definitely getting airbrush. I am even upgrading to the waterproof (instead of standard water resistant). I am not used to humidity so I am really trying to combat that. Although the wedding is in January, so I am not sure how humid it will be then. I can't believe it stayed on after the hot tub - that's fantastic!

So glad to hear this. I talked to Kristina this week and I am booking her based on your recommendation and she seems so nice on the phone. I am definitely going for the airbrush and since we are arriving into town 3 days early I am going to get to do a trial session.

Thanks again for your review!

So glad to hear this. I talked to Kristina this week and I am booking her based on your recommendation and she seems so nice on the phone. I am definitely going for the airbrush and since we are arriving into town 3 days early I am going to get to do a trial session.

Hey we will be getting married on the same cruise!! :)

Your welcome! And you will love her!

Hey we will be getting married on the same cruise!! :)

Yay how exciting!!!! How is your planning going? I am from Canada so it is tough to figure everything out from afar....but love this thread and these brides! soo helpful!!

Yay how exciting!!!! How is your planning going? I am from Canada so it is tough to figure everything out from afar....but love this thread and these brides! soo helpful!!

well as of right now I've just gotten it booked....haven't really done anything else. its going to be small....just our immediate families. we are having a big reception for everyone to come to a couple of weekends after the cruise. but yes! these boards are awesome! i'm so glad i stumbled up them because reading everybody elses experiences have been very helpful!

how about you? how is your planning going?

Hey Bride520....

Okay, not sure about this one. My coordinator told me they didn't care but Carnival did. Just have a backup plan incase they won't play it.

Yes, ours was 2 hours. We did the Deluxe Romance Package. I think it depends on what package you choose and if there have been any other weddings already booked for that day and what package they have choosen. They only do one wedding at a time. We got the 1:00pm time slot, so the next wedding on our day couldn't have started until 1:30 which means they could have only had a 1 1/2 hour reception. Does this make sense? Ask her why. It could be the package you choose or because of other weddings that were already booked.

Yes, we did have an open bar. Sorry if I confused you. If I said there wasn't an open bar I didn't mean to. They open bar was awesome! My husband and I and our guests were very happy with the open bar.

Nona

Hope that helped!

Hey Bride520...

Thanks for the answers. I will email my coordinator about the extended reception.

And after seeing your pictures, I too have decided to get airbrush makeup. I don't want to sweat it off while trying to get on the ship.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again for sharing

Of course it's been almost two years since we got married on the Conquest. But, we hired the social host and brought our own music. We made a "Wedding Playlist" on our IPOD with all our favorite dance songs and he played them for us. He wasn't that great, we had to keep asking him to turn the music up. But it all turned out well.

• 1 month later...

Archived