Venice Hotel - by land only

ukbriang

Can anybody recommend a pre cruise hotel where a road taxi can reach ( from Marco Polo ) and then the following day pick up to drop off at the cruise terminal. This is to avoid water taxis and walking with heavy luggage.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Can do. We like Ca Doge which is a small inn-like hotel (no elevators) located right in the Piazale Roma. A land taxi can take you right to the door and they can easily fetch you a taxi from the queue about 100 yards across the square.

Hank

The Santa Chiara is also in the Piazzale Roma and requires no bridge crossings. From what I've read, Ca Doge would be the superior choice of the 2.

The Best Western Olimpia has one small bridge to cross from the Piazzale Roma. They have elevators. It's a very nice location and if you request rooms facing the garden it will be a quiet location.

The Best Western Olimpia has one small bridge to cross from the Piazzale Roma. They have elevators. It's a very nice location and if you request rooms facing the garden it will be a quiet location.

Thanks for that info. I have a room booked pre-cruise at the Olimpia later this year. It looks "quaint".

I am considering taking a taxi from the airport to the hotel ..... I am hoping the taxi can get me close to the Hotel Olimpia, since I will be traveling solo, and presume I will have to get my own luggage from a drop-off point to the hotel.

Thanks for that info. I have a room booked pre-cruise at the Olimpia later this year. It looks "quaint".

I am considering taking a taxi from the airport to the hotel ..... I am hoping the taxi can get me close to the Hotel Olimpia, since I will be traveling solo, and presume I will have to get my own luggage from a drop-off point to the hotel.

If you click on the aerial photo of the Olimpia, you'll see how close it is to the Piazzale Roma. Just ask the driver to drop you as close as possible. The photo even shows the blue ATVO airport buses sitting in the RRoma. The olimpia is the building with a garden in the back and the circular path in the garden is clearly visible.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-cruise-terminal-hotels-piazzale-roma.htm

My mother was 80 when we last visited. We took the ATVO bus from the airport and had several bridges to cross to reach our hotel. We managed ok but we only had one wheeled case each and shoulder tote.

If you click on the aerial photo of the Olimpia, you'll see how close it is to the Piazzale Roma. Just ask the driver to drop you as close as possible. The photo even shows the blue ATVO airport buses sitting in the RRoma. The olimpia is the building with a garden in the back and the circular path in the garden is clearly visible.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-cruise-terminal-hotels-piazzale-roma.htm

My mother was 80 when we last visited. We took the ATVO bus from the airport and had several bridges to cross to reach our hotel. We managed ok but we only had one wheeled case each and shoulder tote.

OOPS .... duplicate of what I wrote below!!

My mother was 80 when we last visited. We took the ATVO bus from the airport and had several bridges to cross to reach our hotel. We managed ok but we only had one wheeled case each and shoulder tote.[/quote

Since this is my first time traveling to Europe, and I am traveling solo, I have many questions and concerns about the "unknowns", starting with just getting fromt the airport in Venice to the hotel. Thanks for replying.

BTW, That link to the maps was most helpful in seeing how to get to the hotel.

[/quote

Since this is my first time traveling to Europe, and I am traveling solo, I have many questions and concerns about the "unknowns", starting with just getting fromt the airport in Venice to the hotel. Thanks for replying.

BTW, That link to the maps was most helpful in seeing how to get to the hotel.

Venice is a great place for you to start! It's very safe and quite small so you can easily walk around in the evening and feel safe. (Take the usual precautions with your valuable, as there are picket pockets in all parts of the world it seems).

The Olimpia is a very handy location; close to airport/pier transportation and the Grand Canal is just across the Piazzale Roma. I love to ride up and down the Canal gazing at the architecture. The entire ride is magical. You'll have a wonderful visit.

I highly recommend the ATVO bus. They're waiting outside the front doors of the airport. No worries about getting off at the wrong stop; it's an express service so the only stop is at the Piazzale Roma. 5E, 20 minutes.

Maybe you've seen this live web cam already, but I enjoy looking at it regularly: http://www.earthtv.com/en/camera-destination/venice-italy

Sign up for your ship's roll call to meet your fellow passengers on line. Maybe they'll have a meet and greet planned. Have a great trip!

Thanks for the replies. Tried to book the Santa Chiara but it is difficult for only one night, as with some other hotels they want you to book two or more nights. May have to try one of the others.

We checked out of the Santa Chiara this week. We stayed 1 night post cruise. We were amazed how easy from the port. We stayed just 1 night, but it was May. It was a good hotel for 1 night and the convience but was not a great hotel. I woud not stay there for a long visit. There are better.

Archived