Brilliance of the Seas 2nd June 2012 Norway fjords cancelled now we go to Denmark!!

Received a phone call that our cruise to Norway fjords is to be completely changed. This is due to the proposed strikes in Norway. We are now going to Copenhagen, Berlin and Arthus in Denmark. You can not compare the two itinaries.

What options did they give us?

1. $250 obc per cabin if we continue with the cruise OR

2. Cancel and we will get the price we paid for the cruise in FUTURE CRUISE CERTIFICATES!

As we only have less than 20 hours before we fly we don't have a choice. We will loose the money for the flights. We will also loose car parking ect and we will even loose when we come to exchange our kroners back!!

Of all the places they have chosen. Berlin is nearly a 3 hours each way journey. They WILL NOT be putting on a complimentary coach to get us there. That means we will have to use nearly all our obc to pay to get there.

I can't imagine how I would feel if I had just flown from the USA to be told this. I guess there are a lot of travellers that have already set off and don't know.

To be told there is nothing else we can do for you if very hard to take. Apparently they don't even have to do anything.

But they do have a choice, they could choose to give the obc and a future cruise certificate so then at least we could try and do the fjords at another time.

We paid a premium for this cruise and what have we got an inferior product that doesn't have any resemblance to what we paid for.

I feel very let down by RCCL.

Received a phone call that our cruise to Norway fjords is to be completely changed. This is due to the proposed strikes in Norway. We are now going to Copenhagen, Berlin and Arthus in Denmark. You can not compare the two itinaries.

2. Cancel and we will get the price we paid for the cruise in FUTURE CRUISE CERTIFICATES!

As we only have less than 20 hours before we fly we don't have a choice. We will loose the money for the flights. We will also loose car parking ect and we will even loose when we come to exchange our kroners back!!

Of all the places they have chosen. Berlin is nearly a 3 hours each way journey. They WILL NOT be putting on a complimentary coach to get us there. That means we will have to use nearly all our obc to pay to get there.

I can't imagine how I would feel if I had just flown from the USA to be told this. I guess there are a lot of travellers that have already set off and don't know.

To be told there is nothing else we can do for you if very hard to take. Apparently they don't even have to do anything.

But they do have a choice, they could choose to give the obc and a future cruise certificate so then at least we could try and do the fjords at another time.

We paid a premium for this cruise and what have we got an inferior product that doesn't have any resemblance to what we paid for.

1) Isn't this beyond their control?

2) If you read the cruise contract, you will see that they can change the itinerary if situation dictates so.

It is always a shame when situations beyond the control of ourselves (this strike) change our plans. I would take the future cruise credits, take my airplane to whereever and do a land-based vacation instead. We are booked for next April and if our cruise is cancelled (hope not), we have decided to still go to Spain for the vacation.

I hope you will see that trying for an additional OBC on a future cruise is not worth the stress you are putting yourself through and make lemonade out of these lemons.

Best of luck to you and your family

While I sympathize with you and fear our own fjords cruise will be altered too.... I truly don't think you can pin this on RCCL...

It is really not in their control that people are on strike in any port of call and just think of the logistics (as well as loss of revenue) that they need to put up with.

I really hope you can go and enjoy your new cruise.

As I predicted when the strikes were first reported, we are about to be deluged with complaints that RCI has somehow created this situation for the sole purpose of aggravating its customers. While there may be other things that the line can do to minimize the problems created by the strike, arguing what alternatives are available to them on relatively short notice totally overlooks the logistical obstacles they face in setting up new and different itineraries (time required to go from one port to another, availability of berths, transportation and other services at the substituted ports of call, costs etc.)

I'm sure that the new itinerary is not ideal and everyone has better ideas, but I'm not sure that those "better" ideas are realistic. Compensation is often something that can be negotiated with the line in these instances and their initial offer is not always their final one. Perhaps if the disgruntled passengers can offer a reasonable compensation schedule, RCI would even consider implementing it.

As I predicted when the strikes were first reported, we are about to be deluged with complaints that RCI has somehow created this situation for the sole purpose of aggravating its customers. While there may be other things that the line can do to minimize the problems created by the strike, arguing what alternatives are available to them on relatively short notice totally overlooks the logistical obstacles they face in setting up new and different itineraries (time required to go from one port to another, availability of berths, transportation and other services at the substituted ports of call, costs etc.)

I'm sure that the new itinerary is not ideal and everyone has better ideas, but I'm not sure that those "better" ideas are realistic. Compensation is often something that can be negotiated with the line in these instances and their initial offer is not always their final one. Perhaps if the disgruntled passengers can offer a reasonable compensation schedule, RCI would even consider implementing it.

I know you are full of disappointment but I don't think it could have turned out any differently given the unfortunate situation. It's not RCI's fault that there is a proposed strike. I'm sure they had to do a lot of scrambling just to come up with this itinerary at the last minute. At least there IS a cruise--it could have been cancelled entirely!

The Brilliance is a lovely ship so if you choose to sail on her despite the altered itinerary, surely you will have a good time.

I'm sorry. Even though the cruise lines have the right to change itineraries, it must really stink to be in your shoes and miss out on a long anticipated trip.

I agree with the poster who suggested you take the future cruise certificates and turn your vacation into a land-based trip. I'd rather do that than take an inferior itinerary that you aren't interested in.

I would definately cancel. RCI, in the past, has picked up change fees for flights, and I will speculate this is still done.

There is no comparism between these two itineraries, but as already repeatively mentioned, this is completely covered by their contract with you have limited choices.

I do understand that the strike is out of RCCL control.

But what is in there control is where we go. To leave this decision to the very last min was in their control. Because it is within less than 24 hours we can't cancel and get our money back on things like Carparking, flights to name a few. They have known for days that there may be problems so they could have done something then. This would have given us the opportunity to seek alternatives either a cruise with Rccl or with another line. Don't flame me for saying that. I am loyal to Royal being a diamond plus member but put yourself in my shoes. The only week of the year that we can actually cruise with our friends. If we had been told sooner and offered a refund in the currency in which we paid. We would then have had options. I have contacted the airline ect and because we are within 24 hours there is nothing that can be done.

We have gone from four ports to three. And one of those ports is a 6 hour round trip to Berlin. So what we have in real terms is two ports.

I think it really stinks Kimberley - and surely even those who are unflinchingly loyal to Royal can see why you're so disgruntled, having found out so late and having been offered such a weak replacement schedule :(

I think it really stinks Kimberley - and surely even those who are unflinchingly loyal to Royal can see why you're so disgruntled, having found out so late and having been offered such a weak replacement schedule :(

I think this what the problem is being told so late in the day. Yes I know the terms and conditions and intact the precise paragraph! But they have changed not just every port but every country!! There will be many that turn up in the morning that will not know.

I think sometimes you have to step in to some one else's shoes to really realise what it feels like. There is a big difference between what is legally obliged to do and what is Morally right.

As we only have less than 20 hours before we fly we don't have a choice. We will lose the money for the flights. We will also lose car parking ect and we will even loose when we come to exchange our kroners back!!

Sorry to hear about this. I'm sure you're very disappointed that you won't be able to take the cruise you had planned for. Just wondering if you had booked any PRIVATE EXCURSIONS and if you'll be able to get refunds for those...

But what is in there control is where we go

Do you think it is that easy for a cruise line to find alternate available ports??:confused:

Anyway,sorry that has happened and I hope whatever you decide works out the best for you..

Do you think it is that easy for a cruise line to find alternate available ports??:confused:

Anyway,sorry that has happened and I hope whatever you decide works out the best for you..

I agree. I feel bad for anyone that has their itinerary changed but there is only so much that a cruise line can do. It's a gamble we all take when we cruise. Also, had RCI changed the itinerary earlier and the strike had somehow been settled before this cruise date, you would have the same people raising heck over the itinerary being changed too early. They are in a no win situation here.

I think this what the problem is being told so late in the day. Yes I know the terms and conditions and intact the precise paragraph! But they have changed not just every port but every country!! There will be many that turn up in the morning that will not know.

I think sometimes you have to step in to some one else's shoes to really realise what it feels like. There is a big difference between what is legally obliged to do and what is Morally right.

There is also a big difference when the changes are required by events that are beyond the control of the cruiselines and those events happen at practically the last minute. You need to consider all those factors before establishing blame. RCI is likely not the only line that has been the victim of the strike and you might want to see how other lines are handling the situation so that you have something to compare RCI's offer against. While there may be some who will show up at the ship unaware of exactly what changes are being made, they do have some personal responsibility to be aware of the strike, which has been fairly widely reported in the media, and realize that it might have some impact on their cruise.

Some posters above need to take a step back and consider how they would feel if the same thing happened to THEM!!!

I know I would be furious - not because the itinerary has had to change due to no fault of RCIs - but the way that it is handled.

Last minute notification means that flights, parking etc cannot be changed easily therefore not giving the OP any choices at all. There are certain countries in the world that certain people would not choose to go to at all - and are blissfully unaware at the moment that their schedule has been changed. I am willing to guess there will be some very unhappy people at the dock tomorrow when they find out.

There are also other things to consider - not all european countries use the euro - norwegian kroner, british pound, danish ? - people have prepared these things. What do they do now - another loss when they try to convert that unused currency back.

The OP and all other passengers on that cruise are on a no win situation - whatever happens and even with the OBC, it is going to cost them in one way or another.

What about non-refundable excursions also? Yes, insurance will pay for some stuff - but the majority just can't make alternative plans with less than 24 hours to go, so they will just have to bite the bullet and go with it and suffer the losses.

What would YOU do? Smile and say "have a nice day y'all"?

A bit of sympathy on this board wouldn't hurt once in a while.

Some posters above need to take a step back and consider how they would feel if the same thing happened to THEM!!!

I know I would be furious - not because the itinerary has had to change due to no fault of RCIs - but the way that it is handled.

Last minute notification means that flights, parking etc cannot be changed easily therefore not giving the OP any choices at all. There are certain countries in the world that certain people would not choose to go to at all - and are blissfully unaware at the moment that their schedule has been changed. I am willing to guess there will be some very unhappy people at the dock tomorrow when they find out.

There are also other things to consider - not all european countries use the euro - norwegian kroner, british pound, danish ? - people have prepared these things. What do they do now - another loss when they try to convert that unused currency back.

The OP and all other passengers on that cruise are on a no win situation - whatever happens and even with the OBC, it is going to cost them in one way or another.

What about non-refundable excursions also? Yes, insurance will pay for some stuff - but the majority just can't make alternative plans with less than 24 hours to go, so they will just have to bite the bullet and go with it and suffer the losses.

I believe that most on here can relate to the disappointment that the OP is feeling but common sense needs to come into play also. This has been a moving target for the cruise lines to figure out. Would I be happy? Probably not. Would I make the best of the situation? You bet.

Sympathy is all well and good, but I don't think most of the responses have lacked sympathy for the OP and others affected by this situation, only a call for understanding that some things are beyond the control of the cruise line. As others have indicated, the lines are being criticized for making last minute changes when we understand that if they had made those changes earlier and the strike was subsequently settled, the line would have been subject to just as much, if not more, criticism for acting prematurely. The passengers have been offered future cruise credits and travel insurance for those wise enough to take it, might have their airfare loss covered. Again the compensation that the passengers receive is subject to negotiation and in the past, the line has covered airline change fees and other costs associated with a cancelled or altered cruise. Perhaps some sympathy should also be extended to the people at RCI who have had to deal with this situation and come up with a viable, even if less than totally satisfactory, resolution on very short notice. No one is a villain in this situation, except perhaps the parties involved in the strike.

Sympathy is all well and good, but I don't think most of the responses have lacked sympathy for the OP and others affected by this situation, only a call for understanding that some things are beyond the control of the cruise line. As others have indicated, the lines are being criticized for making last minute changes when we understand that if they had made those changes earlier and the strike was subsequently settled, the line would have been subject to just as much, if not more, criticism for acting prematurely. The passengers have been offered future cruise credits and travel insurance for those wise enough to take it, might have their airfare loss covered. Again the compensation that the passengers receive is subject to negotiation and in the past, the line has covered airline change fees and other costs associated with a cancelled or altered cruise. Perhaps some sympathy should also be extended to the people at RCI who have had to deal with this situation and come up with a viable, even if less than totally satisfactory, resolution on very short notice. No one is a villain in this situation, except perhaps the parties involved in the strike.

I agree with most of the things you are saying above.

Except!!!! sympathy for those at RCI who are trying to sort this out?????

Come on, they are getting paid to do that. IT'S THEIR JOB!

What a ridiculous thought that we should feel sorry for them when it's the sort of thing that is expected of them - as they are getting paid a salary by RCI to do just that.

I deal with crap every day in my job but I would never expect sympathy. It's part of the job.

Anyone would think you work for RCI - or at least in the travel industry!

But what is in there control is where we go. To leave this decision to the very last min was in their control. Because it is within less than 24 hours we can't cancel and get our money back on things like Carparking, flights to name a few. They have known for days that there may be problems so they could have done something then. This would have given us the opportunity to seek alternatives either a cruise with Rccl or with another line.

We have gone from four ports to three. And one of those ports is a 6 hour round trip to Berlin. So what we have in real terms is two ports.

Absolutely understand your disappointment and I'm sorry your trip was cancelled. I'd be devastated as well. To be fair though, you had as much notice of the strike situation as RCCL did. When you saw this situation was developing you could have looked into tentative alternative plans in case this very thing happened.

If it was me I'd cancel and rebook a Norway fjords cruise for another time. If you can't change your flights, do a land based trip.

If you do take the substitute itinerary, you don't have to go to Berlin. I assume you're docking in Warnermunde or Rostock. These are both quaint areas and are worth some time on their own. Or, from there you can do a trip to Schwerin on your own by train or by car and have a lovely day at the castle. I agree, 6 hours back and forth to Berlin is not appealing.

Hope you work out something you enjoy.

If you do take the substitute itinerary, you don't have to go to Berlin. I assume you're docking in Warnermunde or Rostock. These are both quaint areas and are worth some time on their own. Or, from there you can do a trip to Schwerin on your own by train or by car and have a lovely day at the castle. I agree, 6 hours back and forth to Berlin is not appealing.

That's a fabulous suggestion for the OP.

I agree with most of the things you are saying above.

Except!!!! sympathy for those at RCI who are trying to sort this out?????

Come on, they are getting paid to do that. IT'S THEIR JOB!

What a ridiculous thought that we should feel sorry for them when it's the sort of thing that is expected of them - as they are getting paid a salary by RCI to do just that.

I deal with crap every day in my job but I would never expect sympathy. It's part of the job.

Anyone would think you work for RCI - or at least in the travel industry!

You do realize that "ad hominem" attacks are the weakest forms of argument?

Your dealing with crap every day might not deserve sympathy but it certainly wouldn't merit criticism if you dealt with it to the best of your ability. That is all that I was suggesting for the folks at RCI who had this challenge suddenly thrust upon them. Perhaps sympathy wasn't the best choice of words, but "understanding" might better describe was being suggested.

Incidentally, not that it has anything to do with the legitimacy of my opinions of which you are so critical, but I definitely do not work for RCI or any cruiseline.

I think that this situation is what the phrase "Damned if you do, damned if you don't" was created for.

Change the itin earlier in week, great. Norwegians go back to work and RCI will get it in the neck for panicking too soon!

I am sure that all of us, in whatever fields we work in, when we have to react to unforseen changes that have our 'customers' moaning at us will say "How could we have known!" Let's all remember that when we are digging out RCI for a strike in Norway!

Archived