Tortola's Speedy's service anyone?

Gingee

I mentioned this on another part of the cruise critic but haven't gotten much response. I will be on the Legend and will be there from 7 - 2 p.m. They have told me that you can be picked up around 9 a.m. and it takes 30 minutes to get across the water on the ferry. Then about another 20 minutes to the Baths. He said you will make it back to the ship even if you take the l2:30 ferry back. Any experience anyone?

Tortola has two ferrys, Speedys is a little newer, I believe. They are both within easy walking distance (5 minutes). We just got off the ship as quickly as we could and walked to the dock. There are several people who will approach you, trying to talk you into buying a ticket for their ferry, telling you why it is better. We went by the schedule. It does take approximately 30 minutes for the ride over. Also-be aware that you can buy a ticket that includes the drive down to the Baths, as well as a ticket that includes lunch, if you so wish. The lunch, however, is not at the Baths, so it may take too much time. We went for the earlier return time, simply because I don't like to stress about whether we'll make it or not. Be aware that once you are at the Baths, it is about a 5 minute hike downhill to the beach, and if you wish to go through all the boulders to the more isolated beach, it is another 10 minute walk ( and climb and wade through water and over rocks, etc.). It is a beautiful spot. We were a little disappointed when we were there in January, though, because it has obviously gained in fame. There were many more people there than the first time that we visited in 1998. There is fairly good snorkeling, and you can rent the gear there, although the snorkeling is through the long trail. Don't bring a ton of stuff, because it's a pain carrying it all! Travel lightly! We saw a lot of coral, various fishes, and a 6 foot long moray eel. When you are ready to return, don't forget to try to allow a little time for a stop at the bar/restaurant at the Top of the Baths. It's where your ride will pick you up to take you back to the ferry. The view is incredible!!! I have seen very few views that would compare, and we travel quite a bit. The drinks are better priced than on the ship, and it just hits the spot after the beach and the hike back up the hill.

Virgin Gorda and The Baths are unique and beautiful, and I would highly recommend this trip. We had a wonderful day with no worries.

I'm sorry. After I posted my response, I went back and paid more attention to your time frame. You will not have much time at the beach. Here is a link to the ferry schedule.

http://www.bviwelcome.com/ferries.html

Scan down the website to the part that says, Travel within the BVI. It lists both ferry services. Speedys would be the service you would have to use. Unfortunately, you can't get a ferry until 9:00. It takes 30 minutes for the ride, but another 15-20 minutes to get an open air taxi and drive to the baths, then 10-15 minute hike. It will be after ten for sure before you arrive. With a return ferry at 12:30, you would have to be at the top of the Baths for the drive back around 12:00 or a few minutes after, which means you would have less than two hours there, probably closer to an hour and a half. The place is great, but I'm not sure if it's worth it for that short of a time. You will have to decide.

I'm not sure if we are tendered in at Tortola. Maybe someone else know?

We would like to come back on the ll:30 ferry (comfort zone) instead of l2:30.

To the ilutravel, were you on the Legend and if so, how long did you have at the Baths and how long do you think you need?

Thanks

We were at Tortola 2 weeks ago on the Star Princess. We did the Bath's on our own using Speedy's. Something to be aware of and keep in the back of your mind....we took the 12:30 Speedy's ferry back to Tortola. The 12:30 ferry didn't leave VG until at least 1 pm (and it might have been a bit later too). The Tortola-VG leg was late coming into VG. Don't know how often this happens though.

We were on the Legend and decided, since our time there was so short (7-2) we weren't taking any chances. We shelled out the $$$ and booked the ship's excursion, which we don't normally do. But there was no way I was taking a chance missing the ship.

Hmmm. Maybe we will skip it. The cruise ship charges $79 and speedy's charges $26. Multiply that by four people that we have to pay for and that is a very expensive swim.

Archived