Summit Review • May 13-20

Sugar*Magnolia

Can I ask what time you arrived for the ferry to St. George? Are the orange/blue ferries close together? Can you tell I've never been to Bermuda before...LOL

Thanks,

Donna

Hi Donna! I admit we probably should have arrived sooner. We were running a little late, but got to the ferry 10-15 minutes BEFORE it was scheduled to leave. We got on line, waited, yup, it was 10 minutes and boarding began. Within minutes the ferry to St G [they said] was 'full' - sniff'sniff, and onto the ferry to Hamilton we ran! The ferries are side by side...Dont cut it as close as we did if there are 2 ships docked at dockyard!

You will LOVE Bermuda....

Stacey, loved the review I read it on your blog but more pics here! We are thinking of X sometime soon. Maybe next year not sure yet. We enjoyed our trip in Washington so much thinking of exploring some other part of US!

Hi Dawn! Loved all your pictures of Washington! It is easy to forget just how beautiful the USA can be! Thanks for reading, glad you liked all the pictures!

:)

Hi Stacey;

As a fellow native New Jerseyan(Essex County), cruise devotee, and Bermuda lover(5 visits down!), I LOVED reading your posts about your recent trip. We leave on the Summit 9/2, and it was like Old Home Week. The ship looks great, Bermuda is beautiful as usual, and I'm eagerly counting the days(89 as of now), chomping at the bit for my return to both the Summit(2nd cruise) and Bermuda(#6!!). I too have sailed the Zenith(my first cruise on Celebrity), my mom still mourns the departure of her favorite ship.

I love the tone of your posts, and you and hubby look like a lot of fun to hang around!

Welcome home, and maybe one day we'll be shipmates. :D :cool:

geri

Thanks for the nice comments!! You can hang with us any time! We're a couple counties south! lol Agreed, rather hang on a cruise ship though!!

This is a very entertaining review. We will be taking our first trip to Bermuda in September and can't wait. I had already planned on visiting the lighthouse and now I'm really looking forward to it!

Vant wait to read more of your review.

We are big fan of the premium drink packages too! We're you able to order at Cafe al Bacio?

Hi Librarylady!

A first trip to Bermuda is so very exciting! Take the bus to the light house and get off by Henry VIII. The bus drivers are very friendly and accommodating in making sure they stop at the exit [rereading my post & laughing at my use of the word 'exit' instead of 'stop'!!] you ask about..IE: Tell them you are [first] going to the lighthouse and thats where you want to get off..Locals of course know to ring the bell/buzzer on the bus. Even though we have used the bus system over and over, we simply talk to the driver, and have yet to remember to use the bell [oh to be a local!!].

We absolutely adored Cafe al Bacio. I have never met cruise-ship-coffee that I liked, ever. Until Cafe al Bacio! It was a pleasure to ditch room service for such amazing coffee in the morning..They OPEN AT 7am. You can order international coffee cocktails as well! Let Me Know if you want to see Cafe al Bacio menu!

Cruise Diva, you're better than a guidebook any day. :D More fun, too. I would like to see the menu for Cafe al Bacio because it's the one place that everyone raves over. It must be really good. I want to hear about the cave, too. My husband and I love caves! And sea glass. Did you bring home any? I hear there's a beach in Bermuda that's known for its sea glass. Our daughter collects it so we always try to bring her home a handful.

CruiseDivaNJ, you're better than a guidebook any day. :D More fun, too. I would like to see the menu for Cafe al Bacio because it's the one place that everyone raves over. It must be really good. I want to hear about the cave, too. My husband and I love caves! And sea glass. Did you bring home any? I hear there's a beach in Bermuda that's known for its sea glass. Our daughter collects it so we always try to bring her home a handful.

Thanks for the nice comments! There are 2 beaches that Im aware of where you can collect sea glass, unfortunately we have not been to either. I mentioned earlier that on our itinerary-to-do-list was Alexandra Battery to collect sea glass, but unfortunately we never got there. There is a small area much closer to Dockyard accessible by bus and then a short walk. I will post pics of Cafe al Bacio coffee menu!

Cont'd: Thursday May 13, 2012 ✩ Day 4 ✩ Bermuda Day 2 - CRYSTAL CAVES

We walked over to the Caves and opted to just go to Crystal Caves. Admission: Adults $20 [$27 for both caves], Kids 12 and under $8 and under 5 yrs old are Free. Accessible by bus on routes #1, #3, #10 and #11 from Hamilton and St. George.

The Caves: Glad we went. From what we heard I am okay with choosing to just go to Crystal Caves and not see Fantasy Caves. Most we spoke to on this trip said that Fantasy caves was pretty much the same as Crystal Caves just much smaller. so, if you dont want to dedicate the time to seeing both, I wouldn’t sweat it. Also, I did not find it claustrophobic as I have read from some. The stairway is not all that narrow, oops, should have measured, hehe. It was at least 3 feet wide railing to railing plus railing to walls [Note: DO NOT TOUCH THE CAVE WALLS] was additional width. In our opinion, we cant report this to be “narrow”, again it is opinion. There are many stairs to walk down, same to get back up…but again, this was not intimidating. They do recommend if you have back issues or heart condition this might not be for you.

DSC_0756.jpg

DSC_0755.jpg

DSC_0760.jpg

DSC_0778.jpg

DSC_0784.jpg

For those questioning if they will feel claustrophobic in the caves, these pictures should give you a good sense of what it is like. I dont like confined areas, and I did not feel claustrophobic here at all. Go. Enjoy. You will.

After the caves we walked back and waited for the bus. The ride to St. Georges was uneventful yet delightful. By now it was past 3:30 and the bus had many school aged kids riding their way home from school. Both of us seated at the front of the bus delighted in hearing each and every kid that got off the bus turn to the bus driver and say, “thank you, have a nice day”. It is refreshing to see that respect does still exist. This might not matter to you, but I find it terrible that respect continues to lack in our society.

We arrived at the stop in St Georges for the Bermuda Perfumery. We got off the bus and walked a block or two and turned left onto Queen Street. The Perfumery is on the left just a minute walk up Queen street. I sent my daughter a text to see what she wanted since I forgot to ask her before we left. I then checked out a new fragrance called Pink; infused with Pink Mimosa, Grapefruit & Peonies it is so mild that I picked up the lotion for my mother who doesn’t like perfumes. She loves it. We finished up at the Perfumery with a quick peek in the rear yard at the gardens and had someone take our picture by the wall fountain. I have a memorable picture of my parents at this fountain from 2008 when we celebrated their 50th anniversary. http://www.bermuda-perfumery.com/

DSC_0825-1sm.jpg

We walked a few minutes into the center of towne heading towards the ferry when sitting on a bench were friends…Uh oh, we thought as they told the next ferry back to dockyard was in 2 hours. Uh oh, Team K failed. How did we not realize this? A cab to dockyard from St G would cost $90.00 and take just as long as waiting for the next & last ferry back since we were now in island rush hour. Could you imagine, no way back for 2 hours? You cant help but pass the time with some comedy relief and looking out into the harbor made me question, “can we jet skii back?” That sail boat is looking pretty good and as we looked further even the thought of a small dinghy was appealing as we sat and waited with our fun cruise friends and martini partners.

DSC_0847.jpg

DSC_0855.jpg

DSC_0862.jpg

DSC_0853.jpg

Hey. Guess what? This is when the rest of that Rum Swizzle came in handy! The 2 hours passed pretty painlessly although it was tiring. We finally started to form a line when we saw the ferry approaching. There was room for everyone on this last ferry back to dockyard. We arrived back to dockyard after 6pm. If you need the assistance of the free tram around dockyard it stops running after 6pm. No problem, we walked back to the ship.

So, now you have it! Cafe al Bacio coffee is not the coffee provided on the rest of the ship. Note the menu where it says "All our drinks are made with Lavazza coffee"....[i doubt the rest of the ship uses Lavazza since the taste is very, very different]

There are pastries and different biscotti available here, but we didnt have any, so I can not comment. [Reason # 4 to go back on Summit before she leaves NJ]

Next up, Dinner at Normandie..

DSC_0865.jpg

And now I want to go to Bermuda!

The caves look so cool. What about bats? I have bat PTSD ever since I was bitten last summer and had to have rabies shots. The thought of them freak me out.

And now I want to go to Bermuda!

The caves look so cool. What about bats? I have bat PTSD ever since I was bitten last summer and had to have rabies shots. The thought of them freak me out.

Oh, I never thought to ask about bats and definitely did not see any! I dont like bats either, we had one in our basement once, what a story that was! they totally freak me out, but I can sure understand your dislike for them! the shots are no fun.

Cruise Diva, you're better than a guidebook any day. :D More fun, too. I would like to see the menu for Cafe al Bacio because it's the one place that everyone raves over. It must be really good. I want to hear about the cave, too. My husband and I love caves! And sea glass. Did you bring home any? I hear there's a beach in Bermuda that's known for its sea glass. Our daughter collects it so we always try to bring her home a handful.

Here is a link to an excellent

Map and directions to The sea glass beach near the dockyards.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1441854

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, I never thought to ask about bats and definitely did not see any! I dont like bats either, we had one in our basement once, what a story that was! they totally freak me out, but I can sure understand your dislike for them! the shots are no fun.

The Bachelorette (Yes, I am that shallow lol) went to Bermuda on this week's episode. They had dinner in the caves. I saw 1 bat up in the eaves and it skeeved me out...and I knew it wouldn't fly out of my tv lol.

Here is a link to an excellent

Map and directions to The sea glass beach near the dockyards.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1441854

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want to stay close to the Dockyard this is a viable place to find sea glass. Just be aware of your surroundings. From research I have found info that lead us to want to search for sea glass at Alexandra Battery for the best of the best.

Librarlady, hope the pics of Cafe al Bacio helped you out on ordering...

Ahhh, so envious this morning..I found out yesterday that my optometrist is going to Bermuda for a week, leaving today!! Ahhhhh, I <3 Bermuda!

The Bachelorette (Yes, I am that shallow lol) went to Bermuda on this week's episode. They had dinner in the caves. I saw 1 bat up in the eaves and it skeeved me out...and I knew it wouldn't fly out of my tv lol.

Wow. Thats all I can say! lol Now Im just thinking,"too bad i dont watch the bachelorette"... Yes, I am that bad, that I would watch something just to see Bermuda! lol

If you want to stay close to the Dockyard this is a viable place to find sea glass. Just be aware of your surroundings. From research I have found info that lead us to want to search for sea glass at Alexandra Battery for the best of the best.

Librarlady, hope the pics of Cafe al Bacio helped you out on ordering...

Ahhh, so envious this morning..I found out yesterday that my optometrist is going to Bermuda for a week, leaving today!! Ahhhhh, I <3 Bermuda!

Like I said, I haven't been to Bermuda yet but thanks to your report I think I am going to like it very much, too. :D I looked up that coffee that you raved about and it turns out it's Italian coffee. Here's the website. http://www.lavazza.com/corporate/en/ Look at the Posters, really cool~ We're in Italy on the Solstice so I am going to see if I can find any of that coffee to bring home with me. I really like Italian expresso.

We started to get ready for our 8:30 reservation at Normandie, but lost track of time and ended up needing to call to let them know we were running late. Bad hair night, I hate those! What I prepared to wear, I didn’t like, had to change. Did I mention how I enjoy over packing and having all opportunity to change my mind?

Normandie was amazing. Anyone, including the Maitre De at QSine will tell you, Qsine is Fun Food and Normandie is Fine Food! This is true. Normandie did not disappoint. Neither of us drink wine so we opted for martinis and no ‘wine pairing’ courses. Everything was absolutely amazing. We had already pre decided on the lobster so we both ordered it and…we both thought it was excellent. The conversation and table side preparation of your meal really is an outstanding offering on board Celebrity. If possible, dont miss enjoying this very romantic and delicious evening. No room for dessert here but Mr. had a crepe with strawberries and ice cream…Man did it look decadent! MMMMmm…

DSC_0882.jpg

DSC_0868.jpg

DSC_0878.jpg

DSC_0879.jpg

DSC_0889.jpg

While folks where on shore touring the day on board surely doesn’t disappoint! 9am was Pilates followed by Trivia and x-box Kinnect Jungle Safari [i have no clue what this is, do you?]. at 11 am there was a feature film, 50/50 rated R in conference room 3, War Horse was the midday movie. Trivia continued at 1pm along with guitarist Andrew Halpin, Line Dancing at 1:45, Bacardi Mixology, [“Crazy, Frizzy Hair” I have NO idea!!, this was at 3pm], more trivia, more rated R movies, acupuncture seminar, “Cook This, NOt That” at 4pm, Wine & Tapas Tasting at 4:30pm, Dancing started at 5:30. 7pm The Showman in the Celebrity Theater. 8pm was a family time movie, Puss In Boots. Ballroom Dance Hour with DJ Gio at Revealations. 11pm- the best of the 90s music and at midnight - Late Night party with DJ Gio..

We were back to our stateroom before the late night festivities.

Like I said, I haven't been to Bermuda yet but thanks to your report I think I am going to like it very much, too. :D I looked up that coffee that you raved about and it turns out it's Italian coffee. Here's the website. http://www.lavazza.com/corporate/en/ Look at the Posters, really cool~ We're in Italy on the Solstice so I am going to see if I can find any of that coffee to bring home with me. I really like Italian expresso.

I can buy Lavazza coffee at my local grocery store. I think all, or many supermarkets carry it!

FRIDAY ✩.CRUSH IT! & The Persian Gardens.✩

Its a beautiful thing to wake up to such good coffee. Add in Bellinis with alfresco breakfast and Im set. This, again, is how we enjoyed our immediate mornings.

DSC_0408sm.jpg

DSC_0410sm.jpg

Mr. took a picture or two in one of the steamrooms. They were all amazing. My favorite was the Eucalyptus steam room! I dont know why I thought we would have any focus on taking pictures, but here is one...you really cant even get an idea from it, but nonetheless, here it is and it was AMAZING!

P5180038.jpg

P5180039-1.jpg

Tonight we returned to the main dining room for dinner.

more to come..

Love your pictures of the food in Normandie! The food and service there is well worth the service charge. We plan on eating there twice and Qsine once on our July cruise. Who knows, we may even have to try Qsine twice!

Love your pictures of the food in Normandie! The food and service there is well worth the service charge. We plan on eating there twice and Qsine once on our July cruise. Who knows, we may even have to try Qsine twice!

Thanks, glad you enjoyed the pictures! We agree, both Normandie and QSine is worth the charge. I wish we would have gone to QSine a second time...Guess we have to get back on board soon! :D

Thanks for the review.

Were you able to find out the difference between Premium and Specialty coffees?

Thanks.

I'm almost certain the premium coffee is the regular coffee offered throughout the ship.

CruiseDivaNJ,

My understanding is that even with a Prem Bev Pkg you have to pay for the Gelateria foods. Did you find this to be true also?

Thanks for your review. We had coffees at Cafe Bacio quite often on the Eclipse when we cruised on 5/12. WONDERFUL!

Jeanne & Bob

CruiseDivaNJ,

My understanding is that even with a Prem Bev Pkg you have to pay for the Gelateria foods. Did you find this to be true also?

Thanks for your review. We had coffees at Cafe Bacio quite often on the Eclipse when we cruised on 5/12. WONDERFUL!

Jeanne & Bob

Since they do not serve any beverages at the Gelateria, yes we paid for the gelato we had. Although we enjoyed a lot of specialty coffee, we didn't have any pastry or cookies at Cafe al Bacio, but you had to pay for them as well.

This is the price list for the Gelateria:

DSC_0048.jpg

Archived