Zuiderdam- Deck 4 or 5 for best balcony

we are currently booked in 5056 for next summer. I am having second thoughts that perhaps the Upper Promenade, Deck 4 would have been a better balcony experience.

Any thoughts on pros and cons of these two decks?

This is a first time cruise and it's all so new to me.

Thank you in advance,

Sharon

we are currently booked in 5056 for next summer. I am having second thoughts that perhaps the Upper Promenade, Deck 4 would have been a better balcony experience.

Any thoughts on pros and cons of these two decks?

This is a first time cruise and it's all so new to me.

Thank you in advance,

Sharon

Hi and welcome. Good question and it will be interesting to see the range of answers. I personally like being higher up and closer to the Lido and outdoor decks, mainly because I don't like to use or wait for elevators so the fewer stairs for me the better. But lower is allegedly "more stable" if you don't mind using the elevators. It is usually better to be sandwiched between floors of cabins than be above or below an activity center also, though we have been directly below the Lido deck and that was our quietest cabin of all.

Keep in mind most of your cabin time will be when you are asleep or busy getting ready to go to port or an event onboard ship. And if you are out on your balcony, the wind and waves will be the sounds you will hear more than anything else. We have not developed any great feelings one way or another over cabin locations or decks, other than preferring not to climb more than four flights of stairs. We're old.

The VD cabins on the Upper Promenade actually have slightly deeper verandas and I prefer them. I love being close to the ocean and all the action should there be any water life sightings. They would be my pick.

A picture is worth a thousand words... if the veranda size important, these pictures indicates they are very similar in size. Both decks also appear to have the same amount of shade if that is important to you. The previous room recomendations of the double sized balcony would be what I would be looking into more that what deck to choose.

Enjoy!

ZSTERN_0196.jpg.0d4fdef2f875e1cb40a319ad34bf9e43.jpg

Zuiderdam.jpg.d96b7e76aa7acdea5e23ad4e712f8fd5.jpg

2626037400099632937S500x500Q85.jpg.b10e0bb0c6b8c237a524836d4c30f7ec.jpg

The VD cabins on the Upper Promenade actually have slightly deeper verandas and I prefer them.

I liked being on the upper promenade deck, and the balconies are a bit deeper.
It's more than "slightly" or "little bit" deeper. VF5056 has a 4 ft deep balcony, and any VD will have a 7.5 ft deep one. MUCH better IMO. Also, in 5056 your view to the right/forward will be obstructed by the dog-leg outward, and your view downward when at the railing will be obstructed by a life boat. I suggest you move to a VD if you can.

Thank you all for the feedback. Called and upgraded to a VD on Deck 4. The HA agent was very knowledge and agreed right away with the recommendations and added a few of her own.

This will be our first cruise (DH and our 2 kids), he is not so sure that cruising is going to be enjoyable let alone the cold of Alaska. So I want to try and plan out the best cabin in our budget.

Really appreciate your input!

Sharon

I have been in Juneau when it was 80F and folks were sunning on the aft pool deck, so Alaska can even be warmish sometimes. :cool: Will think good, warm thoughts for your family, and hope that you have a fantastic cruise. :D

I am thinking if I were to ask his opinion again in a month or so when we are sweltering in100+ temperatures. He would be more open to the idea. :cool:

Thank you for the good wishes on the cruise!

I have been in Juneau when it was 80F and folks were sunning on the aft pool deck, so Alaska can even be warmish sometimes. :cool: Will think good, warm thoughts for your family, and hope that you have a fantastic cruise. :D

Archived