World Cruises 2012-2013

Matzaball

Hello ALL,

What a lovely forum , so glad to be here.:)

Can anyone tell me some info on world cruises or is there a forum

that is solely related to this?

I would love to hear from someone that might have taken one.

Thanks.

Hi -- you will probably hear from Keith who has done multiple world cruises on Crystal. If I were to do a world cruise, I'd pick Silversea as they use my favorite ship to do it -- the Silver Whisper. Crystal is no doubt wonderful but it has over 900 passengers vs. the 283 on Silversea's Whisper.

I am so envious of those who can do world cruises. Our kitties would divorce us if we even thought of doing such a thing:eek:

Matzaball,

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

I have taken four full World Cruises and half of another. Also have another one booked for January, 2013.

On the luxury side, World Cruises are offered by Crystal Cruises, Silversea and Seabourn.

Other lines also offer World Cruises from Cunard (premium) to Princess (mass market).

You would be wise to check them all out.

We have taken all of our World Cruise with Crystal Cruises.

While we do like small and medium ships alike, a ship does play a role in the World Cruise.

Personally, I prefer a middle size ship for a World Cruise which for us is the Crystal Serenity. I say this because with many World Cruise running around 100 days the larger ship has the advantage of giving you more choices for entertainment, enrichment and dining, and even more options on the outside deck. I also find that it performs better at sea.

Personally just as we bring a lot more clothes with us on a World Cruise because after awhile it is easy to get bored wearing the same things so often, my wife and I feel the same about the choice of a ship and want more diversity in the offerings and more choice in where we spend our time when at sea.

Also, all World Cruises are not the same in the what is offered on the ship so read carefully about that. Our experience is that a lot of special events are offered and that is one of many reasons why we have been very happy with our choice.

You will find that on some boards people do postings from the World Cruise. If you go to the boards of the lines I have mentioned you will likely see threads from folks such as myself.

This link will take you to two reviews I have written about our 2012 and 2010 world cruises on board the Crystal Serenity.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=101606

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=66510

If you have more questions about World Cruises please post them and I'll try to help.

Keith

Thank you Keith for such detailed reviews - I read both of them. All I can say is WOW!

I had a question though. I am new to cruises. Do people need any kind of visa or something in order to travel around the world? I am not from USA.

Thank you again for taking time to write these reviews and share your experiences! :)

Lady Rushki, thank you for your nice comments.

Whether or not one will need visas does depend on which countries are on the itinerary and what country one is a citizen of.

In my experiences, normally there are one or two and possibly three countries on the itinerary each year where we need a visa in advance. At the same time, often there are a few countries where the ship will obtain the visas for you while you are on the ship.

Keith

Thank you Keith for such detailed reviews - I read both of them. All I can say is WOW!

I had a question though. I am new to cruises. Do people need any kind of visa or something in order to travel around the world? I am not from USA.

Thank you again for taking time to write these reviews and share your experiences! :)

Be aware that if you don't have all your documentation in place before the cruise, you will not be allowed to board the ship, and you will not receive a refund. For some reason, people falsely believe that if you promise not to leave the ship in a port that requires a visa, that you won't have to procure one. But, once you're in the territorial waters of a country, you're considered IN that country, whether you step on dry land or not.

For those who might not have the time or resources to take an entire world cruise, most world cruises are divided into segments that anyone can take. You can book one or more segments of a full world cruise.

Thank you Keith and Darcie. Thank you very much for your replies. Will have to do a more detailed research on it. Thanks for suggesting to do smaller parts of World Cruise, that sounds great for the start.

Romualda

As you do research if you think of other questions be sure to post them.

Keith

Lady Rushki, you need to look carefully at each of the cruise lines and their fares. You can then contact a travel agent to see what they can do for you in terms of extra savings through rebates/credits.

The prices will vary by cruise line.

Start by looking at Crystal Cruises, Seabourn, Silversea, Cunard, Princess, and Holland America.

Keith

Hi Lady Rushki,

Some cruise lines also offer Grand Voyages, which are segments on extended cruises. Though Regent isn't booking a World Cruise next year, they are offering a 143 night Rome to Beijing cruise beginning this fall.

I took a 71 night cruise (5 segments) in 08 on the Regent Seven Seas Navigator. It was amazing to see all those wonderful places. After 50 nights, I was itching to get home, but would consider going on an extended cruise in the future.

Good luck in your search.

Archived