Considering Norwegian

satchiesmom

Hello everyone,

We have only cruised Celebrity and Holland America but are considering a cruise on Norwegian Jewel out of New Orleans in January 2014. I'm sure I will have many questions between now and then, so any help would be greatly appreciated. We are looking at a mid ship Mini-Suite but the location under the pool deck concerns me a bit. Is there a lot of noise? What would be the best location? I do understand that that is where all of the Mini-Suites are located.

What are the advantages of a Mini-Suite over a balcony?

Susan

Hello everyone,

We have only cruised Celebrity and Holland America but are considering a cruise on Norwegian Jewel out of New Orleans in January 2014. I'm sure I will have many questions between now and then, so any help would be greatly appreciated. We are looking at a mid ship Mini-Suite but the location under the pool deck concerns me a bit. Is there a lot of noise? What would be the best location? I do understand that that is where all of the Mini-Suites are located.

What are the advantages of a Mini-Suite over a balcony?

Susan

We are sailing in a mini-suite on the Jewel to Alaska, and my research shows that noise is hit and miss. If you're forward and under the gym, you're certainly subject to noise. If you're back under the buffet the floors are carpeted and noise is minimal.

The mini-suites do not have any suite amenities (which is a shame), but they are longer. Also, the mini suites on the Jewel have a flip down couch that sleeps 1, maybe 2 (if small). The balcony room will sleep 4 (if designated as such), but the 4th bunk pulls down in front of the balcony door. There are pictures of both on these boards

Jewel class balcony room

Balcony_10632_2.JPG

Jewel class mini-suite

jewel_cabin_minisuite_AF_web.jpg

Hey.... will be boarding the Pearl - sister of Jewel - in 16 days in a mini suite (unless we upgrade to penthouse).... waiting to see if price will drop! This will be our first time in mini-suite, but have always been balcony rooms on NCL. I was also told the bathroom was larger. Will be able to give an accurate description after my trip of the room choice. BUT, I can definently recommend NCL! I love them and the crew is always so nice and accomodating. My only advice is to research the trip because some of the boats are PARTY boats!! The freestyle idea is awesome! You eat when you want, where you want, and dress in what you want! Good Luck and hope you have fun no matter what line you book with! Will let you know about the minisuite upon return!

Wendi

Thanks Wendi. I sure hope the Jewel isn't a party ship! We aren't stick in the muds, but wouldn't enjoy an extremely rowdy atmosphere either. Looking forward to hearing about your Pearl cruise.

Susan

Thanks Wendi. I sure hope the Jewel isn't a party ship! We aren't stick in the muds, but wouldn't enjoy an extremely rowdy atmosphere either. Looking forward to hearing about your Pearl cruise.

Susan

It's not. I think you find more of a party atmosphere on shorter cruises but, in 3 Jewel cruises, I've never found that to be the case. Regarding the bathrooms, the mini suites have a tub and the balcony cabins have just a shower.

Susan

Yeah, the jewel doesn't have a reputation of being a party boat. I live 2 hours from Miami so frequently do the 3 or 4 day last minute trip to the Bahamas and those are usually very loud, very young, and very much party ships. All other cruises we have done that are 7+ days have been much more low-keyed. Last year when we did Hawaii we found ourself longing for the business that comes with the short cruises because the ship always seemed so "slow", but yet relaxing. I have heard nothing but wonderful things about Alaska! Don't know what itinerary you are looking at, but if it is one that gives you some "at sea" days look into a penthouse or some kind of true suite because the perks that come with those are wonderful! :D

wendi

It's not. I think you find more of a party atmosphere on shorter cruises but, in 3 Jewel cruises, I've never found that to be the case. Regarding the bathrooms, the mini suites have a tub and the balcony cabins have just a shower.

Thanks so much for the info! That was my main concern with mini-suite vs suite!

Wendi

We just sailed on the Jewel in 11064. Having been in two other minis in the past and both had some noise from above, not bad, but there, I think 11064 and maybe one or two either side might be the best. It is under a couple of public restrooms located on the walkway as you exit the buffet area and head towards the pool deck. That area gets very little traffic after early evening and little until mid morning. Of course, the Alaska cruise, the pool deck is pretty dead most of the time. We love NCL and the Jewel. She was the 5th NCL ship we've been on...and actually...love them all.

• 3 months later...
We just sailed on the Jewel in 11064. Having been in two other minis in the past and both had some noise from above, not bad, but there, I think 11064 and maybe one or two either side might be the best. It is under a couple of public restrooms located on the walkway as you exit the buffet area and head towards the pool deck. That area gets very little traffic after early evening and little until mid morning. Of course, the Alaska cruise, the pool deck is pretty dead most of the time. We love NCL and the Jewel. She was the 5th NCL ship we've been on...and actually...love them all.

Hi Roger,

Is 11064 an Adjoining cabin, and if so does the door to adjoining cabin take up any real-estate and make for a smaller couch or something?

Archived