Radiance advice for first timers

If you are scheduled to be in port (for example) from 7 am to 4 pm, how much time do you actually have on shore?

In other words, how soon can you leave a ship after it docks, and how late can you return to the ship? (not that I plan to be the passenger that is last to run up the gangplank before it is pulled up. :p)

PS. If anyone has seen the SB cruise compass posted recently for Alaska, please point me in the right direction!

Thanks!

You are allowed to disembark the ship after it has been cleared which could be within 15-30 minutes after arriving. You must be back on board 30 minutes prior to your scheduled departure.

Our Radiance cruise was the last before the upgrades, so I am not familiar with the new venues and cannot add much of value to what others have said about the ship's facilities. I will say it was a fine ship when we were aboard and should be even better now.

I will add a general piece of advice for first time cruisers. Take your cameras and take lots of pictures. With digital cameras and cheap data cards, there is eesentially no limit to the number you can take. I was going to try to make a bunch of suggestions about what to photograph, but let's just leave it at this: take a bunch of pictures of everything from the time you leave home till you return. Try to back up [load to a lap top or use multiple data cards] so you don't lose them. I figure on a week long cruise a thousand pictures is about right.

If you go to this thread, the OP kindly attached links to the Compass further into the thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1642023

Thanks! Turns out I was already subscribed to that thread. I don't how I missed seeing them. :o Probably a sign I should go back and re-read all the threads I'm subscribed too. :D

I find it interesting that that thread's OP did not care for the pastries at Café Latte-tudes, and someone in this thread said they had the best pastries on the ship. I guess I'll have to test this out myself. What a hardship! :eek:

You are allowed to disembark the ship after it has been cleared which could be within 15-30 minutes after arriving. You must be back on board 30 minutes prior to your scheduled departure.

Thanks Patti (& Jim)!

I find it interesting that that thread's OP did not care for the pastries at Café Latte-tudes, and someone in this thread said they had the best pastries on the ship. I guess I'll have to test this out myself. What a hardship! :eek:

Our last time on Radiance in Alaska, the only issue I had at Latte-tudes was that some (not all) the servers said that the pasteries were free, but only with the purchase of a beverage - which I was usually planning on doing but didn't always want to. Other times, it was free. All depended on the staff behind the counter. On Serenade didn't have that problem - always free. So, hopefully that little glitch was worked out - love the milk and cookies after a long day on shore:D. Setting sail on Radiance 7/13 with AngieGal3 and the rest of our roll call - can't wait!

L.J.

• 2 weeks later...

Found this tidbit on another thread, and I though I might as well add it to this one:

I just came off the Radiance two weeks ago and for the outside track on Deck 12, 6.3 laps = 1 mile.

Enjoy!

Tracy

• 1 month later...

I'll be sailing on Radiance of the Seas soon, and I'd love to know if anyone has any good info on the ship. Favorite spaces, great hidden finds in the Windjammer...I searched and nothing useful on these boards, especially since the refurbishment. I'd love to hear what you loved.

Also, anyone have any idea how someone contacts the Captain once on board? I have a legitimate reason to make contact, but it occurred to me that I have no idea how to go about it. Give a crew member a note? I've got phone numbers but that seems awfully intrusive.

Thank you!!!!!

Please forgive the signature below, it's more for the other's on our sailing, I really do want people to tell my Dad jokes. :o

I'll be sailing on Radiance of the Seas soon, and I'd love to know if anyone has any good info on the ship. Favorite spaces, great hidden finds in the Windjammer...I searched and nothing useful on these boards, especially since the refurbishment. I'd love to hear what you loved.

Also, anyone have any idea how someone contacts the Captain once on board? I have a legitimate reason to make contact, but it occurred to me that I have no idea how to go about it. Give a crew member a note? I've got phone numbers but that seems awfully intrusive.

Thank you!!!!!

Please forgive the signature below, it's more for the other's on our sailing, I really do want people to tell my Dad jokes. :o

Love the WJ..especially the afternoon tea aka snack time...great scones and bread pudding you will only find during those hours.

The Captain won't be hard to find..just ask.

Hope your Dad enjoys this ship..it's a favorite of ours !!!

People were complaining about the floor being slippery outside of Rita's (i think it was ritas). It IS. be very careful on the tile. Ok, take that back, it was Samba's but Rita's was a bit slippery too. Here's the post:

"just want to add one thing - while samba's food was excellent the location is horrid on deck 12. i fell and broke my wrist there on wed night, din't even consider it if the weather is slightly off. far too dsangerous."

I liked to get our food at the Windjammer and then go sit in Rita's or Izumi (if they're not open) at an available table away from the crowds. If you continue walking through there, there is open seating outside on the bow. Do NOT. I repeat, do NOT leave your plate unattended on the table outside. My husband did and then turned around to see a black raven snarfing up his food LOL

Are you cruising Alaska? If so, ask your cabin attendent for robes to wear to and from the pools/hot tubs. They are definately needed for warmth.

Love the WJ..especially the afternoon tea aka snack time...great scones and bread pudding you will only find during those hours.

I'm bummed I never made it in for tea :(

The Captain won't be hard to find..just ask.

Once I saw what he looked like, I'd see him floundering around the ship all the time.

This may not be the ideal time to contact the Captain, but isn't there one night where he goes into the promenade and takes pictures with people? You may be able to somewhat speak to him then but most likely not a lengthy conversation.

We met him at the Captain's Reception after the first formal night. He also did a Q&A session later in the week.

We LOVE Radiance. I'm in the midst of an epic post cruise review (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1679447) where I plan on talking a lot about the ship, along with LOTS of photos. I'm still on the DIY land tour before the cruise, but if you have any specific questions, please let me know and I'll try and answer them.

L.J.

Thank you!!!!!

You write your note, have it ready when you board if you like, go directly to guest services and hand it to whoever helps you. Ask them to put it in the Captain's box. They will and the Captain will have your note very soon. You can contact any officer in the same way.

By the time of your cruise, Capt. Bill Wright will be on board.

Gina

Thanks for the tips. I think my family would really love the tea time stuff in Windjammer. I'll figure out the times and get them there!

I think my parents will especially enjoy Captain Wright, my Dad will think he's very cool. I'll leave a note at guest services, all I know is I'm supposed to contact him when my family boards. But I'm also trying to keep it on the down low so my parents are surprised if they get to meet him. (and they are not online so Yay, my sneakiness may continue!) I'm fairly certain my Mom will think he's handsome. (: That could perk her up.

Also thanks for the warning about slippery surfaces outside Ritas, bad news for someone like my Dad.

I've got just a few more details to wrap up and I'm ready to sail. Well, when it's my turn anyways!!!!!

Best wishes all!!!

Thanks for the tips. I think my family would really love the tea time stuff in Windjammer. I'll figure out the times and get them there!

I think my parents will especially enjoy Captain Wright, my Dad will think he's very cool. I'll leave a note at guest services, all I know is I'm supposed to contact him when my family boards. But I'm also trying to keep it on the down low so my parents are surprised if they get to meet him. (and they are not online so Yay, my sneakiness may continue!) I'm fairly certain my Mom will think he's handsome. (: That could perk her up.

Also thanks for the warning about slippery surfaces outside Ritas, bad news for someone like my Dad.

I've got just a few more details to wrap up and I'm ready to sail. Well, when it's my turn anyways!!!!!

Best wishes all!!!

Each year when I'm in Alaska on Radiance there has been some sort of slippery floor issue right in the windjammer. I once thought it was soap on the floor. People were walking around as if on ice skates, slowly and carefully. I would hope they have figured out a way to resolve the problem. It only seems to happen when it's cool outside and humid along with warmer inside. A condensation builds up on the floor making it very slippery, even for someone like me who has no mobility issues and is totally steady on my feet. I've never seen it happen on Radiance any other location than in Alaska.

Hold tight to your Dad in there if you see this is the situation. In fact, maybe you should sit him down and go get him the food you know he likes.

I'm sure you'll get to see Capt. Wright. Go to guest services right away to "check on something" and no one in your family will have a clue you are dropping off that pre-written note. Just pick up a few little packs of sea sick pills while you are there and they will think that's why you went to the desk. Sea sick pills for "just in case". ;) They are free anyway so it's good to have them on hand if the seas get rough.

Gina

Dad's going to have a wheelchair, so I think I'll get him comfortably parked, and I'll bring him what he wants. My Mom has an ability to take a fall anywhere so I'll steer her clear too. My main shoes have good grippy soles, so maybe I'll be fine?! He doesn't need the chair in his room (we think-who knows by next month) but getting around the ship, yeah, it's a good idea to have the chair.

We got some info from my Dad's doctor about the challenges of traveling with someone in my Dad's condition. Respecting his low endurance was the thing that stood out most. We will have simple, laid back days. Lots of time in the cabin, on their verandah.

Great idea on grabbing the seasick pills while I do my mischievous deeds. Always good to have a cover. Thanks Gina

I've pestered everyone I can think of to try and make this trip extra special, but I'm not sure how much they're willing/able to pull out all the stops. I was doing the math on how many passengers RCCL sends out each week (not even including RCI as a whole) and it's mind blowing how many other people they have to worry about. I'm trying not to get my hopes up for too much special attention.

A girl can dream, he's my only Dad.

Hi there, you must let me know about how you went, especially with the kids and activities. We are sailing on Radiance on 24th Sept Honolulu to Sydney with our 3 little ones (9, 10, 10) so I am very very very interested in what you have to say about dining and kids entertainment.

Thanks

PS I hope you enjoy your cruise :)

Archived